''katadyn pocket'' any good? looking for best water filter options currently.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: ''katadyn pocket'' any good? looking for best water filter options currently.

Member #
    Liked
    2052 times

''katadyn pocket'' any good? looking for best water filter options currently.

before I blow a ton of fiat currency in this direction am I overlooking any options in the water filter market? was hoping you guys already know. im also looking at a family size. please point me where I need to be looking if you can. a best website or 2 might be helpful also. thanks! you guys are always helpful!

Member #
    Liked
    791 times
    I have one ive used on a few backpacking trips. I would say that if you are using it for preps, car camping, ect. its great. Its solid, strong, works well and filters will probably be around for a while. I havent tested it long term, however reviews indicate it stays solid.

But, if your going to backpack with it, it is very heavy. I know a lot of people who choose lighter MSR filters or other types of sterilization.

PRetty sure amazon is your friend on this one, or anyone who matches amazons pricing.
    WTB:

Russian Type 1 or 2 parts/kit

Member #
    Liked
    791 times
    I just noticed you mentioned "family size". Well the katadyn is definitely not a family sized type filter. When using it its best to use two people, sitting on the edge of the pond, one holding the water bottle and the other pumping and maintaining the float receiver tube. Well, it takes a little time to fill up just a couple bottles of water......

If your looking for a semi portable option for family sized, I would look into Berkey Water Filter Systems - World Leader in Portable Water Purification Although ive never used them, I would say if you can get quality water to start out with, these would probably be the way to go.
    Averageman likes this.
    WTB:

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2052 times
    I have water faucets in house but its turning black if it sits about 2 or more days stagnant and that's totally at random seems like when I fill jugs to shoot at range on occasion since sometimes water never turns black. the cases of ice mountain water is great but id really like to have some sort of family size alternative for countertop use for now. my thinking is that any water purification equiptment will be a worthy investment for the future pretty much no matter what at this point. there is also a lot of farm run off in my 100 plus year old well my yucky smelly water comes out of so I have no big clue which family size is best yet just know that I need one. ill check out the family size alternatives. so far I found katadyn pocket as cheap as 254. plus shipping on gunbroker and 291. on amazon or 231 used on amazon. im guessing ill get new since its life saving equiptment that has great resale value that goes up. am I safe buying them on gunbroker for now or is there any cheaper maybe distributors? id like 1 for house and one for car at minimum if not just one to use and 1 unopened backup. buying several extra seems like a wise move if I could just find a deal on them somewhere. about the 3 pound weight which is best for long range backpacking?

Member #
    Liked
    2052 times
    about the little black charcoal purifier attatchment option. does it come with the katadyn pocket when new or do I need to source them? I haven't found them separately yet or found if they are definitely included.

Member #
    Western Pennsylvania, with both Mid-Missouri and So-California in the heart
    Liked
    30 times
    I've used Katadyn Pocket filters for the last twenty five years while backpacking. They are reliable. They used to be the issue filter of the Peace Corps. If you go to the Katadyn/PUR site, you will find the pocket filter, as well as in-line plumbing filters for regular family use.

Katadyn also has drip systems that work really well (have used the drip system when staying in place for more than a day). Katadyn Products - Katadyn Products Inc.

There is one thing to keep in mind about these filtration systems...they only are effective on removing biological contaminants. Mineral and other contaminants will not be filtered out effectively. If the water has mineral tailings under .02 microns, they will pass through the ceramic/silver impregnated filtration.

Hope this helps.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I use the Katadyn Hiker Pro. It is cheaper and made of plastic. But I like to use it for hiking and camping out.

If your water is turning black you might want to test your water or get your water tested.

Hiking filters aren't very convenient for everyday home use. You might want to try a counter-top filter. Like evolixsurf said, Something like the Berkey Gravity Water filters might be good for home use.

I don't see stocking up on water filters as a good long term investment for resell, Unless something really bad happens and everybody decides they need one. Suppliers are always coming out with new and cheaper stuff. But a water filter may be good investment for the health of your family, If your water is contaminated.

Waste water removal from fracking sites has been big business for a while now, Bound to be some crooked guys out there dumping the water where the shouldn't.

Whatever you buy, Only but one first and make sure you like it. Just like you don't want to buy 3 of the same gun for home defense that you have never tried before.
    Last edited by jimcola; 03-20-2015 at 04:33 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    791 times
    After reading your last posts, you definitely dont want the katadyn for the home. They are basically personal filters due to the amount of work and time it takes and the output it puts out. Yea, one would be good for your car. You definitely need to google the berkey water filter as it seems to be exactly what your looking for.
    WTB:

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have a LifeStraw in my car and in a pack in my house. That's the most basic system for emergencies of course. There's much better higher quality more complex systems out there. Some may be too big for a mobile plan. If you're considering a "bug in" type scenario for any crazy shit that could happen in our future then I would invest in a high quality system to store in your home. It may not be mobile but at least it will perform well and fast. I also would invest in a water-desalination system if I lived close to an ocean. Keep in mind though a lot of those must be inspected yearly by the manufacturer to assure the membrane is still in working order.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    If you are looking for a SHTF prepping purifier, you want to get the Sawyer Point Zero Two Purifier. No other purifier comes close to the capacity of this purifier for the money. You connect the purifier to a five gallon bucket, dump in your dirty water, and go about other tasks, The Sawyer Point Zero Two runs about $150.00 to your door, and is rated to 1 million gallons of purified water. It purifies up to 170 gallons per day, dependent upon altitude and head pressure. This is the best option for a survival water purifier out ther. Did I mention it also removes viruses?

FLP762

Member #
    Liked
    701 times
    Family-wise I couldn't say, but for personal use I have a couple of Sawyer LifeStraws.

Because I'd recommend them for personal use, I'd check out Pathfinder's recommendation of the Zero Two.
    "God's away on business."

Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    i've been thinking about one of the MSR that fit a nalgene but has anyone looked at the survivor filter? They claim their pro model will filter down to .01 and will catch a lot of viruses and heavy metals.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Sorry I have been away for a little while. The thing you want to look for with water filters and purifiers is the micron absolute rating. Most manufacturers give you their nominal rating, but Sawyer gives you an absolute rating.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I've broken a 1990s vintage Katadyn - don't recall which model, but it was all plastic.

+1 for the Berkey for fixed/vehicle use, and +1 for the survival straw.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I used a Katadyn Hiker PRO for awhile and now have the Pocket. I haven't used it much but just because it's solid I keep it in my kit. I also have a Survival Straw though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors