''katadyn pocket'' any good? looking for best water filter options currently. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: ''katadyn pocket'' any good? looking for best water filter options currently.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Anybody have any experience with the big countertop water filters? I'm starting to get convinced I need to filter my water after getting it tested (found pesticides, plus the flouride too of course) and I'm not sure whether to go with Berkey or Alexa Pure. I'm finding lots of conflicting information... for example this site says Berkey (though I'm not sure why exactly) while Alexa's website - http:/alexapure.com/products/alexapure-pro/ is pretty convincing they beat Berkey. Hard to choose.... what do you guys think?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    All commercial "filters" have a limited life span and at the end of their usefull life (which normally is very short), they introduce contaminants back into the water, so you have to keep buying replacement cartridges.
    The only good alternative for water purification is Reverse Osmosis (RO). A little more expensive starting costs than the "filters", but lasts a long, longtime, and cleans the water down to the atomic level.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    1246 times
    I've got friends that use the "Big Berkey" filter on a daily basis. They are on city water but prefer to use it. I've had water from it and it tasted great.

I myself have two Katadyn TRK filter systems - similar in concept to the Big Berkey but the housing is plastic instead of stainless.

I chose the Katadyn units about 12 years ago after Hurricane's Katrina and Rita. Katadyn's are touted as being what the Red Cross uses. They are Swiss made and I percieved that as quality. I like the fact that you pour in water and walk away - no pumping required.

There are two type of filter cartridges for the TRK - Gravidyn and Ceradyn. The Gravidyn has charcoal to improve taste. The Ceradyn filters have no charcoal, but are rated to filter more water for a longer period of time.

Both the Gravidyn and Ceradyn are ceramic filters. Another factor that sold me is they mix silver in the ceramic - silver kills microbes.

While I am familiar with how to implement their use each of my Katadyn systems are still new in the box. I bought each on the secondary market (ebay) from people who bought them for Y2que?

I also have the classic Katadyn "pocket" filter - also never used.

I keep them for insurance.
    Last edited by MPiKM-72; 02-17-2017 at 09:59 AM.
    Back from the Pecos, TX FLOOD Run and Gun in the Sun - er, RAIN.
    WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    776 times
    Mpi, that's great you have those but how do you know they work? Especially considering they are second hand. Be good to try them out make sure they aren't broken or working improperly before the big next storm hits. Sorry, just the thought that popped into my head.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.
    WTB:

Russian Type 1 or 2 parts/kit

Member #
    Liked
    1246 times
    Quote Originally Posted by evolixsurf View Post
    Mpi, that's great you have those but how do you know they work? Especially considering they are second hand. Be good to try them out make sure they aren't broken or working improperly before the big next storm hits. Sorry, just the thought that popped into my head.

Yes, I've studied how they work. They are almost too simple. You pour water in the top reservoir. It passes through the filters and drips into the purified water portion of the housing. It has a dispenser valve like a water cooler. The filtration doesn't happen quickly, but it does happen. It can be filtering while I'm outside using the chainsaw to clear the trees the hurricane knocked over.

Even though mine were second hand every part needed was present and unused.
    Back from the Pecos, TX FLOOD Run and Gun in the Sun - er, RAIN.
    WTB Late East German 7.62 top cover and gas tube numbered 687.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    THanks for the advice guys, that's real helpful!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors