Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Type 1 Restoration photos

I have just started restoring this type 1 , i have fabricated side plates and welded them to the trunnion stub.
    I have a long way to go with this project , i don't have a actual type 1 rear trunnion , but i can fabricate one fairly easily.
    The Sheetmetal receiver is going to be a challenge , as i want to copy the Soviet style exactly with the reinforcement "ribs" , so i an going to have to fabricate a Die & stamp to form these "ribs" in the thicker sheetmetal that the type 1 receivers are made from.

I have made the trunnion about 3/4" longer than normal , as i don't have a exact dimension for the trunnion , and i will trim this later when i drill the rivet holes , and i have also left the ejector way over sized and i will grind this to the correct shape later on.

Please ,if you have any experience with making these type of "ribs" in sheetmetal i would appreciate any tips , or help from you experts !

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Check to see if there are any sheet metal shops in your area. The ribs could easily be formed with a bead rolling die.

A press brake jig would be better for forming the receiver, since heavier gauge steel might not work so well in one of the die-and-form jigs.

If you're going to make a die for the ribs... Since the press brake can form the bends individually, Folding the top rails first would give you a positive location point for positioning the receiver in the rib forming die. Once the ribs are pressed, form the bottom bends and you're golden.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the help Rino ! , you and Stottman have both helped me alot !

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Here is a up-date , i finished shaping the trunnion today , i copied from Stottmans photos ( thanks dog !) and also shaped & timed the ejector , I still left the trunnion about 3/8" long , because i don't have a exact dimension for the trunnion , so i will trim this to the final length when i drill the rivet holes and "mock-up" assemble the rifle.

I think i have a good handle on the sheetmetal receiver , and the beads wont be the Big problem i thought , next i will fabricate the internal rails that rivet onto the sheetmetal receiver , and fabricate a grip mount this will be very simple , i plan on having a grip mount that screws into the sheetmetal instead of rivet - doing it this way will make it stronger , and i wont have to worry about making a rivet jig just for the grip mount and damaging the precious receiver by riveting the grip mount on.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Darn , those photos SUCK ! - i smeared the bare shiny metal with magic marker so the flash would not ruin the photo ,, the trunnion looks awesome, i will post better photos and update my progress.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Looks great!

Keep us posted.

Rusty.
    I only collect Russian arms.
    Воды по колено а рыбы до хуйя.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I've noticed alot of the Type 1s have plum colored reinforcement plates... high amount of nickle in the steel?

Anyway are you going to try for that look too or what? Just wondering... did you see Greentimbers pictures of his captured 1949 AKS? Those would be really helpful, he took pictures of EVERYTHING.
    I want to forget mistakes they've helped me make;
    Its better to be broken, then to break...

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Keep up the good work!
    I'll be watching this build.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Q-gunner : , i am going to have it hot blued when it is completed , i have noticed that color difference also , my demilled sheetmetal stub had a "patina" to it , probably from age .

The sheetmetal receiver has a rather crude look to it and i have taken the project as far as i can without a sheetmetal receiver so im going to get busy !...... i cant wait to see it completed and shoot it .

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Here are some better photos , I will determine where to drill the rivet holes when i get some receivers bent.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Very impressive, good work, this should become a sticky so we can watch your progress. What are you going to do about grip panals? McM

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    32 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorcityman
    Very impressive, good work, this should become a sticky so we can watch your progress. What are you going to do about grip panals? McM
    Done!
    "Scars are Tattoos with a better story"

The AK Forum Site Staff ~ Retired

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorcityman

Motor C/M : I have grip panels , and a safety , i really need the proper gas tube , and buttplate. I plan on having a high polish hot blue done , and i will put new correct wood on the rifle I want to do this one up right.

I am going to fabricate a rear trunnion , and i don't see a problem with any of this , the only trouble has been finding info from someone who has actually built up a type 1 (haven't found anyone , and i have a couple of threads on different boards)- it would be nice to have some tips , and advise but apparently they are so rare there is little hard info on these.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    You might consider using one of the CNC machined rear blocks used for building an AK pistol. This will seriously reduce the amount of machine work you need to do. The block would need the cup for the stock milled out in the rear, and would need the tangs attached.

The block would keep the back end squared off like the Type 1 should be. I believe there is enough material that you could reposition the rivets in the block to the Type 1 locations.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino_66
    You might consider using one of the CNC machined rear blocks used for building an AK pistol. This will seriously reduce the amount of machine work you need to do. The block would need the cup for the stock milled out in the rear, and would need the tangs attached.

The block would keep the back end squared off like the Type 1 should be. I believe there is enough material that you could reposition the rivets in the block to the Type 1 locations.

This is a good idea Rino ! , the last few days i have been working on the grip mount , i have decided to fabricate this like the original , but it will be fastened by 2 button head Allen wrench screws into the grip mount that i will drill and tap when i bend up a few receivers.
    I will be posting "tutorial" photos of my progress.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors