Authentic Russian Arsenal paint project success, info and pictures
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: Authentic Russian Arsenal paint project success, info and pictures

Member #
    Liked
    959 times

I will save some of you the the time if you don't care to know the particulars, if you want some PM me your address and I will respond with pp instructions, don't respond to this thread with order requests because this isn't a FS ad. I will make a more official presentation later but a lot of people expressed interest so this is for you guys.

I have 1.5 liters of high quality Russian Arsenal "Weapon Lacquer" as they call it, available in 100ml quantities @ $50 plus $5 shipping with a limit of 300mL until I make a new batch... shipped each weekend. 100mL will paint 2-3 full firearms depending on if you use an airbrush or a Preval Aerosol sprayer. You will use more product with the Preval but will have nice results.

The Russian instructions say to let the gun cure for 3 hrs at room temp, but I am going to test it in the oven at 150 degrees later today. This is why I question Voron, the Russians didn't bake on their finishes... if you want good results clean surface with fresh blast/park is necessary.

This is THE purple inky looking, some refer to it as "squid black" paint you have on your 1983 and 1988 Izhmash AK74 kits. These were new guns so they are the best examples I can use. As the guns heat up and wear in, get oiled up, just like the Russian paint you will get some smoothing of the paint.

Made to the letter of recipe they use when building weapons. To be clear, the Ukrainians often used the more common "touch up" paint recipe when they Refurbished weapons. This is a much simpler and uglier paint, it is still dark black but it is dry and flat. This is what you see on your refurb AKM's, and the same stuff I got from werewolf in Ukraine. They were supposed to use the recipe I am using but from what I was told by the source of some of my info they didn't because it was time consuming to make.

The cost of raw materials, translating the Russian literature and the Ukrainian written instructions was not cheap. I am not doing this to compete with anyone, if you want correct Russian paint made with all 6 solvents, correct resins and Russian pigment this is for you.

Here is my Bulgarian AKS74U with fresh paint and no oil slathered on to make the paint darker. The top/bolt carrier/gas tube/etc have all been subject to magazine dumps, heat and have oil on them. I will oil and snap some pics of the whole thing later today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by techno; 01-23-2017 at 09:30 AM.
    Hueto, BR7.62, MPiKM-72 and 12 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    177 times

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    You won't need to thin the paint, if you absolutely must thin it please don't use MKE, acetone, alcohol etc. I will instruct individuals on thinning as needed. MKE flashes way faster than you think.

I used a cheap $89.00 air brush from Harbor freight and it was about as professional as it gets. I would really suggest this because you use literally half as much paint and it is so damn simple to apply.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    23 times
    Awesome! This will be perfect for my Saiga (Russian RAK) AKM conversion.

PM'd for my 100ml !!!
    Last edited by Tankboy; 01-23-2017 at 09:56 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    2563 times
    good timing chris! i think trump will be appointing minister of arsenal finishes this week.
    looking forward to this, thanks for figuring this out.
    MPiKM-72, boatma1, Stuxnet and 2 others like this.
    07 ffl

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Blast + park then paint FYI.

The most important picture I posted is the one of the FSB and Tula Booster in direct, 0800 hrs sunlight.

US paint would be grey looking compared to the booster. Just wait until I photograph this thing with oil on it.

The werewolf stuff I got was super flat. I think some ppl got a glossier mixture but none of it had enough pigment.

This stuff is all perfectly semi gloss.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2225 times
    Mission accomplished, congratulations Chris! Can't wait to get some of this on a rifle.
    LOOKING FOR: '65 EG MPi-KM kit, Tula 5.45 bolt, Soviet and East German AKM Barrels, Soviet AKM U/F Stock Assembly, Polish Milled Receiver Front Stub

I can organize and sell your Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collection
    if you lack the time or desire; send a PM if interested.

Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Member #
    Liked
    274 times
    While my Russian is done and finished, Thank you for footing the bill to figure this out and make it available!

Member #
    Liked
    683 times
    color looks right, interesting texture. Hows it hold up to solvent wipe with alcohol or acetone?
    "Never thought I'd say this, but that's a real nice pair you got there Jeff." - Fiorentino

WTB -

(4) 68 dated Russian slings
    (2) izzy (or Tula) late 60s recoil recoil assys

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    It holds up just like Russian paint. Same stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Member #
    Liked
    959 times

Real Russian paint doesn't have self leveling additives so you get a bit of texture, it soaked in and mimics the texture of whatever you paint. Look at any Russian parts you have. You may get a smoother finish with a HVLP gun, I used an airbrush so it gets a hair grainy. That was before I baked it because even though it was cured I wanted to subject it to some heat.

Literally the same stuff Sunspot, 100% the same stuff as any Izzy gun part you have. So if your izzy parts hold up to solvent this will too. I don't use acetone to clean my guns so I am not worried.

That said, acetone on a rag didn't wipe the paint off but it left a bit of a purple streak. The reason I know the paint is not solvent resistant is:

1. I have the the instructions on finishing all painted Russian weapons published in the late 70's
    2. the resin listed is what I used
    3. the company I bought my resin from gave me the specs and in the specs it said "resistance to solvents, poor"

Regardless same stuff, to the letter. Enough about that.
    Last edited by techno; 01-23-2017 at 07:20 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times

Refer to page 46 of Volume 8 in Rob Stott's most recent book. There is a brand new 1989 Izhmash AK74 with the same "Interesting texture" that my gun has. I'm not here to debate, or prove anything. Its hard to prove without either seeing my source of info or the product I am supplying on a gun in front of you.

If you like what I have done, then I did this for you guys as well as my own collection because I was not going through another nightmare when painting the rest of my guns. I am going to post the last of the bottles left in the marketplace later tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by techno; 01-23-2017 at 07:21 PM.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times

Placeholder for the link to my FS ad
    Last edited by techno; 01-23-2017 at 07:20 PM.
    MPiKM-72 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7978 times
    Never thought I'd get even a little excited over *paint* but damn that looks really freaking cool!
    techno and AKMaadi like this.
    "If I spent half as much time in the gym as I do on the computer, I'd be ripped as s*** by now" - Me

"There really is something broken between your ears. You know this, yes?" - Redbear

Closed captioned for the drinking impaired. Wait...

Member #
    Liked
    694 times
    It actually looks blacker thab the 89. Closer to the tula. Really good work man uve been working hard on this.
    techno likes this.
    Trade plus cash for:
    Need Izzy Rear sight leaf TK799
    Need Tula Rear sight leaf
    МЛ6218

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors