Authentic Russian Arsenal paint project success, info and pictures - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Authentic Russian Arsenal paint project success, info and pictures

Member #
    Liked
    858 times

Authentic Russian Arsenal paint project success, info and pictures

russianpaint.com guys, fully stocked/20 more bottles too.
    Last edited by techno; 02-07-2017 at 11:57 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    858 times

Or in this thread:

WTS: Real Russian paint shipped within US (correct for Bulgy, Hung, Polish too)

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...9&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Member #
    Liked
    261 times
    Anymore pictures of this paint next to examples of Tula or Izhmash paint?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    300 times
    About to start spraying some extra parts to compare... I should have pics today...
    TigerHawk and Stuxnet like this.
    So, if you were to ask did ancient astronauts visit Earth in the remote past, the answer is a resounding "YES"

Member #
    Liked
    1109 times
    I'm trying to find time to spray it on my Izzy cover. All the finish is worn off and it just has the phosphate left. Hopefully I'll get time this week.

Member #
    Liked
    300 times

I have to say this paint definitely exceeded my expectations... We owe Techno a debt of gratitude for taking the time to research and put this together for us...

This is a PSL brake painted with Techno's paint compared to a real deal factory original Tula paint... The paint on this gas tube doesn't get anymore classic squid ink Tula black and in my opinion, its a dead match... Even under a flashlight the two paints are absolutely identical in every way...

I will be painting more items soon... I will post more pics in better lighting tomorrow...
    So, if you were to ask did ancient astronauts visit Earth in the remote past, the answer is a resounding "YES"

Member #
    Liked
    261 times
    Looks great. Did you use an airbrush to apply?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2189 times
    What better example of the benefits or procrastination. I set aside several Soviet kits to build, but have only gotten around to doing one so far. Thank goodness I waited, now all the rest will be painted "post-techno"!
    LOOKING FOR: Postban Chicom (squareback) Rifle, '65 EG MPi-KM kit, Soviet and East German AKM Barrels, Soviet AKM U/F Stock Assembly, Polish Milled Receiver Front Stub

I can organize and sell your Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collection
    if you lack the time or desire; send a PM if interested.

Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Member #
    Liked
    300 times
    Yea I used a 3oz. Harbor Freight airbrush... I want to try the gravity fed HPLV next... I have a feeling it will produce much better results... Because the paint is so thin, the air brush made the paint very fuzzy and textured... Keep in mind I didn't adjust any settings or psi on the air, I just hooked up and sprayed...

All I can think about is these amazing kits you see popping up lately. The hand-selects, original barreled RPKS, and others... The though of using any other paint for those great kits is sinful... Again, Techno has moved the authenticity of these historical firearms forward big time.
    Sunspot likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    685 times
    Wholy smokes i need to get my 83 kits in the mail. Thanks for the pics maadi
    AKMaadi likes this.
    Trade plus cash for:
    Need Izzy Rear sight leaf TK799
    Need Tula Rear sight leaf
    МЛ6218

Member #
    Liked
    268 times
    This paint appears to be awesome. Maybe my 2+ year wait for all of my receivers from 74ullc is a blessing in disguise since none of my hand select stamped kits have been built yet. Now they can hopefully be built and painted with this paint and be so much more authentic.
    AKMaadi likes this.
    Looking For Russian Type 2 Parts numbered: ЖН0542 (Top Cover, Bolt/Carrier, Gas Tube, Rear Stub, etc)
    Have high quality parts to trade or could buy. I would be eternally grateful! Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    671 times
    Looks good Maadi -

Just putting this out there --- as far as ORIGINAL production painting goes (not refurb)
    The Russian drawing set shows that detail parts and sub assemblies are painted individually at those levels, whereas the sub assembly of the populated barreled receiver is then painted after fitting. The top level assembly drawing points out to touch up (as needed) with brush, as all the sub assemblies come together. Parts that are painted on the detail/subassembly level would be Topcover, gas tube, cleaning rod, bolt, carrier, buttplates and sling swivels, FCG, etc. This is why some parts would have a different texture/flatness/glossyness than others.
    The equipment used to paint in a production environment would most likely be a 2-3 gallon pressure pot at 80 PSI, with final air pressure at gun to be controlled by painter at time of application (probably 35-40 psi). The painter also would control any additional thinning of paint required, depending on temperature & humidity to achieve the final film thickness per spec. (age of mixed paint would play here as well) This is explained in some of the more general Russian military paint docs with the options of substitute materials, thinners, etc to be determined by painter. The final results (texture/appearance wise) vary more because of technique and conditions on a particular day, than the paint itself.
    Using a HVLP gun designed for automotive 2 part paints should mimic the old pressure pot system pretty well. Air brushes (as noted prior) dont work too well with the thicker viscosity paints as they are really designed for very thin viscosity coatings.
    -
    I havent gotten to use Techno's paint yet, but it sure looks like you can get whatever look you want from it at the user level, which is the end goal. The differences between TULA & IZZY finishes from different years have alot of factors involved, including possible paint formula/requirement changes, yet as long as the end finish matches to our eyes our goal is accomplished. IMHO.
    "Never thought I'd say this, but that's a real nice pair you got there Jeff." - Fiorentino

Member #
    Liked
    261 times
    Are there any builders using this paint yet? I just got my 86' Krink back this week and am not thrilled with the paint..

Member #
    Liked
    268 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TigerHawk View Post
    Are there any builders using this paint yet? I just got my 86' Krink back this week and am not thrilled with the paint..
    I am in the same boat here as well. I have an 86 Krink and love it but the parts that were painted during the build are a little too gray and it has always bugged me. Would love to have those parts redone with the right stuff.
    Looking For Russian Type 2 Parts numbered: ЖН0542 (Top Cover, Bolt/Carrier, Gas Tube, Rear Stub, etc)
    Have high quality parts to trade or could buy. I would be eternally grateful! Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    858 times

Strangely this stuff gets glossier as you thin it. I guess it's laying smoother. It's possible to make it glossier than the Tula kits lol.

To flatten it out just heat the gun first, for the super flat polish builds.

I am going to offer a thinner in a couple weeks. I guess I am surprised I haven't sold more. I sent Ted M. some to use on my AK105, I am sending some to Larry Vickers and a few other ppl.

I just ordered all new tools so I will finish my two tantals and I have a RPK74M that will be a complete paint job with it, so we will have more examples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by techno; 03-02-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors