AK Rifles banner

Need help finding a cleaning kit and cleaning rod

2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Tantal 
#1 ·
Got my Izzy 1969 AKML and Izzy 1988 AKS-74N back from Two Rivers Arms and somewhere along the way the cleaning kit from the AKML and the cleaning rod from the 74N have gone missing.

Any my help you all can provide in regards to where the correct cleaning kit and cleaning rod can be found would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Eric

#3 ·
Thanks for the heads up.

Which of of the kits would be appropriate for the 1969 Izzy? I see he has blued, white brush, etc and not sure which would be 'correct' for the '69 Izzy AKM.

I probably have 10 AK-74/AK-100 thread pitch cleaning kits and not a single AKM model, haha.

#7 ·
The only way I ever found a 1988-correct AK-74 cleaning rod (it was ONLY made by the Russians) was to sadly buy a 1988 rGuns kit. I never even saw one of those single-piece rods in person until I got my first '88 kit in, and I've owned plenty of AK-74 cleaning rods over the years. I did pick up one that was loose, but it was orphaned from an RGuns-sourced 1988 kit somebody parted out and sold on the marketplace here, but that was like five or six years ago, I think?

I would suggest (while you look for the real deal) that you just get a cheap Bulgarian cleaning rod as a place-holder in the mean time. Then put in a special request with Alex, or maybe even order one from Oleg in the UK if you don't mind importing the sucker. He usually has one style or another Russian NOS and in stock, I think.

Even if all you find are the more common threaded patterns, all is not lost! Keep in mind that early on a lot of guys who ordered 1983 RGuns kits got mix-matched 1988 rods in their boxes, and soem of those guys either didn't know or were too lazy to call up RG and get a return/replacement set up. Later on, they might have decided to correct this so you might post a trade thread on the marketplace and be able to trade one of those guys your easier to find (older or later) two-piece pattern for that very unique and hard to find late '80's one-piece cleaning rod.

One more little-known reason why these 1987-88 kits are so uniquely cool.

Anyway, good luck to you!

#10 ·
Did they get misplaced at Two Rivers during the build?

If so, I'd let them know how difficult it is to replace them. They must have them sitting on a bench somewhere.

I'm now in the habit of stripping everything off that a builder doesn't need. I tape my name on furniture and other components to help them get reunited with the build.

#14 ·
Funny, I know someone that has about 10 1988 AK74 cleaning rods that he is getting ready to cut down for AK105 rods. If anyone is interested in getting one of these before they are cut down, let me know quickly.

BTW, does anyone know if the AK104 (or for that matter the AK103) uses a rod threaded like an AKM rod or one threaded like an AK74 rod?

MDI

#15 · (Edited)
martin, it depends on what year the rifle was issued as they had both for the AK-100 series carbines. it's just a timeline thing. An earlier 1990's rifle is gonna have the one-piece rod ( I guess AK-105's mostly since they were put into limited production first).

But man, why on earth would anyone with common sense cut up really rare cleaning rods instead of the more common ones? You can't find these late 80's versions anywhere for sale. Just from a financial standpoint, it don't make any sense to cut up a $35 cleaning rod when you could use a $12 Saiga rod instead, but people do stuff like that all the time, I guess out of convenience, then if they ever wake up they come to regret it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.