AK Rifles banner

TULA AKM Parts Kit for Review

6K views 66 replies 10 participants last post by  mad_zombie_lenin 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All-

So I just got my 1969 Tula AKM parts kits from RGuns and I was looking for advice and feedback as to what's what. I just spent 4 hours poring over this site, so here's what I have so far. Please let me know if I'm right or wrong, as I'm not an expert by any means!!! I'm less concerned about the manufacturer of the serial matched items than I am about the other parts. I was excited about getting a Tula mostly for the gorgeous wood, and my Tula replacement stock looks great!

Matching S/Ns:
Top Cover
Front Trunnion
Bolt Carrier and Bolt
Upper Hand Guard

Tula
Upper Hand Guard
Lower Hand Guard
Lower Hand Guard Retainer
Pistol Grip
Trigger Guard
Rear Sight and Rear Sight Block
Butt Stock

Izhevsk

Rear Trunnion
Barrel/Front End Components
Safety - (no serial # anywhere)
Recoil Guide
PG Block
Trigger
Most of the internal bits
(and yes, the Izzy magazine is a stand-in ;-)

Shotgun Wood
Shotgun Wood
Belt Buckle Shotgun
Shotgun
Shotgun Scabbard Knife

THANKS VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP! :)

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
Matching S/Ns:
Top Cover
Front Trunnion
Bolt Carrier and Bolt
Upper Hand Guard

Tula???
Upper Hand Guard Looks Tula, original to GT
Lower Hand Guard?? Tula like. Diamond = replacement?
Lower Hand Guard Retainer? - (has coarse mill marks) Looks like Tula machining, look on lever and elsewhere for proofs
Pistol Grip Tula "x-x" mold number
Trigger Guard - (I see a circle proof in there) Definitely Tula
Rear Sight and Rear Sight Block? Both look Tula

Izhevsk?
Butt Stock and Rear Trunnion - it's too bad the stock had dark blotches under the coating...any idea what I can do to pretty it up? Izzy RT, hex proof. stock unsure but very Izzy like grain and coloring.
Barrel/Front End Components Looks like a triangle proof on the milled GB but the FSB eludes me. Looks cast. Tantal?
Safety - (no serial # anywhere) Later cast w/rounded corner. Need to see tab hatching (other side) or proofs
Most of the internal bits I think?
(and yes, the Izzy magazine is a stand-in ;-)

Recoil guide is Izzy
PG block is Izzy, hex proof

Any ideas on the trigger and cleaning rod? Trigger is Izzy, hex proof
My thoughts above.

Robert

#8 ·
Thanks! I'll upload more photos of the front end soon. For the life of me, I see no proofs on the LHGR. Judging from the cross hatching on the safety and comparing it to others on this site, mine looks like an Izhevsk. Would replacing the safety with an unnumbered one be something done during refurb? Would recoil guild have been a commonly swapped out component too?

Thanks again for the help!

#13 ·
The black splotches might be tar. I recall reading the Soviets would use tar as a minimalist repair of some type. I've seen tar on new Soviet AK74 handguards before.

I have used blue paper "shop towels" to polish dull lacquer finished Romanian stocks - some turned out like new. The lacquer seems to get warm from the friction and starts to shine more clearly. Ballistol applied to same towels can help as well.

Reactions: mad_zombie_lenin
#11 · (Edited)
[QUOTE=tanakasanBarrel/Front End Components Looks like a triangle proof on the milled GB but the FSB eludes me. Looks cast. Tantal?

I got a couple front stubs like this with a cast FSP and milled GB, mine had very distinct diamond proofs on the bottom of the GB. Thinking this is first gen cast izzy FSP mid to late 69? Could that be a diamond with a T(ish) charictor in it to the lft and a trapezoid (keystone) on the rt ?

Do the Tula triangle proofs typically have a radius between the legs? If so can this be used as an identifier when trying to discern diamond vs triangle at a glance?

Has anyone created a registry of Tula / IZZY proofs we can refer to?

#16 ·
I got a couple front stubs like this with a cast FSP and milled GB, mine had very distinct diamond proofs on the bottom of the GB. Thinking this is first gen cast izzy FSB mid to late 69?
Yes, this is a common combination on Izhmash 1969's, cast FSB and milled GB. Mid to late 1969 would be correct. Out of a about a dozen '69 Izzy kit front stubs I've had here, at least four were this version. The stub you posted has a first pattern cast Izhmash FSB on it. Tula did not go to a cast FSB until years later in production, and when they did it looked very differently from this pattern.

Do the Tula triangle proofs typically have a radius between the legs?
Not sure what that means? Tula triangles can be identified by the angle of the dangle in most cases.

#22 ·
I updated this thread with pics of a new stock and barrel stub that I got. I think the barrel stub is still an Izhevsk but has more rounded edges under the sight, and the stock looks like a Tula replacement in an Izzy rear trunnion. The stock matches the handguards quite well! What do you think?

#31 · (Edited)
Some/ most of the Tula arsenal marks are stamped onto the Trunnion after it has been forged, probably at the time the serial number and date code is stamped. The Trunnion is very hard and you end up with light markings. Some Tula trunnions have the arsenal mark and date code roll stamped into the forging at the time it is made, these are much deeper than the hand stamped ones. All the Izzy AKM trunnions have the arsenal mark and date code applied at the time it is forged.

IIRC it is the late era trunnions that are marked when forged.

#33 ·
Built correctly, they are worth the same (or more) as they were when they were in kit form. Of course, you have to add in the worth of the build, and also how much the market has increased the value over time. If they are built using premium parts by a skilled or well-know builder. the rifle is of course worth more than the sum of its parts. Time and effort saved by buying an already built rifle is worth additional money, regardless of the initial worth of the parts involved. Built incorrectly, then the kit could be worth considerably less to some collectors. This is because of incorrect refinishing methods that destroy originality of both factory finishes as well as desirable honest combat wear patterns on used parts. If the parts are untouched, then a bad build can be disassembled for use in a new build, which means the parts are basically still worth the same. I would probably prefer a kit over a kit built incorrectly, since you do not know what was rig-jobbed to build it, like drilled out (oversized) pin holes, beat in barrels, and reamed out journals.

#34 ·
Thanks Tantal! Question who does the closest finish to the original of Russian AkM that you know of? I have been collecting kits for the last six months now and I would like to get them all built as close to the original builds. I was thinking about going to Two River Arms.. Any tips or hints would be most helpful I've been thinking about getting the receivers from 74llc and barrels from Greenmountain. Also when it comes to trunnion markers from the Tula 1969 kits.. Mine is very light and it kind of bugs me since I am such an avid fan of russin things.. Would highlighting The star and date be of any help or what it do more harm to the value of the rifle and the originality of it?? Did the Russians highlight markings ever? Thank you very much for your help!

#36 ·
I have seen a lot of 69 Tula's with light proofs. Not all, but a heck of a lot. Not sure why. Most 68's seem to be a bit more bold and by 74 they were as pronounced as Izzy. I like the refurb proofs on the receiver too, I am going to build some "correct refurb" rifles. The kits that don't have outstanding wood will be candidates for this. I just love proof marks, the more the merrier. I think Tula thought so too, they proofed their proof marks! Ever look at a Tula RT?

#39 ·
It is weird though the top cover had the original numbers on the top of the recoil spring Square cutout then during refurbishment The serial number was crossed out and in reprinted below!? Lol but I don't know maybe I am being anal about the trunion markings.. Should I keep it or see if Rguns will exchange it for a 1974 kit if they still have them ..

#40 ·
You will have a hard time with that. If you are unhappy with the kit I would take it off your hands for original RGuns price and you could buy a 68. AFAIK they don't have anything but 68's and 88's (AK-74) at this point. PM me if interested.

Actually, I think they are out of Tula's... Forgot about that part!

#41 ·
I have one that the original stampings were XXXXXX ed out. They re stamped the number above, got it wrong. Then XXXXXX ed that out. Then went to the side of the cover and stamped it again.The real kicker is that the cover matched the rifle all a long...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.