G or kyhber?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By MuttMaster

Thread: G or kyhber?

Member #
    Liked
    29 times

G or kyhber?

I have a extremely nice romy g kit all matching including the lower hg and og barrel. I've had one before that i built up and while it was nice and all...the dong isn't my favorite. I know its ultimately my rifle my decision but should i build as G or kyhber with Egyptian hgs/ Russian grip/tri folder?
    Can't decide..

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5059 times
    I would leave it as is, and build it as the Romanians intended, a G and nothing else. I have an all matching G kit that some cretin decided to make into an MD63 by sort of scrubbing the G, and ruining the furniture. The "G" can still be saved though, but the furniture had to be replaced.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    336 times
    Depends what else is in your collection.

I helped a buddy score a great deal a really nice G (first and only AK). He hated the dong at first and had me trade it for a Russian lower HG. But as he started to appreciate AKs in their authentic/period condition, he begged me to get back the dong. It's back, he loves it and that rifle is bitchen. All matching with some very pitted parts (I say from blood) and looks great.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    Not currently a romy in the collection. However I did have one before and haven't had a tri folded yet. So...was thinking...

That matching number dong is what's really holding me up from the kyhber I think

Member #
    Liked
    236 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MuttMaster View Post
    Not currently a romy in the collection. However I did have one before and haven't had a tri folded yet. So...was thinking...

That matching number dong is what's really holding me up from the kyhber I think
    You could sell it and get what you really want. It would be a shame not to keep an original barrel all matching kit together when there are so many other (less valuable) options today.

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    I have a "nice" Romanian kit and I'm having the same Delima... To khyber or not to khyber. It's an OG barrel but isn't all matching

Member #
    Liked
    236 times
    I actually am guilty of bastardizing a late G kit towards a pieced together md.90 kit but in my defense I bought it in a big parts lot knowing the the Trunnion, bolt, and bolt carrier had been bubbad beyond amateur repair and the replacement Trunnion was a '94 dated Trunnion with a matching Rear Sight base so I just rolled with it.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5059 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MuttMaster View Post

What is the date on your trunnion? The reason I ask is that they stopped serial numbering the forward grip in the late 70s or early 80s. Seriously, I would really think about keeping it in all original trim. If you still want to do a Kyber, just start piecing together parts now...a few pieces here and a few pieces there, and then you will have your Kyber.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    29 times
    1980 year.
    I may very well leave it be and piece together a khyber. Im good at that hence muttmaster lol
    John Rambo and JoeMomma like this.

MLK

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Make the khyber out of misc and various countries parts. Keep the matching G kit together.

I cringe everytime I look at the pistols I've built from mint G kits. I remember taking the rolled up vaporpaper out of perfect romy barrels, then cutting them in half with a hacksaw.
    Last edited by MLK; 05-20-2017 at 07:48 AM.

Sponsors