Detailed pics of my WUM 1 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Detailed pics of my WUM 1

Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AKrunner View Post

Why use a field gauge? I checked the headspace of my WUM1 and it wouldn't even close on the go gauge.
    Rights are inherent. They do not come from another's wallet.

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    That's not good, should close on the Go gauge. The field gauge is mainly used for firearms with higher round count. I don't know about your Wum 1 not closing on a Go gauge, that's what it should do is close. Have you tried a No go or a field gauge yet? Just wondering if they close then you have a issue.

Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    Where did the OP state that it would not close on a Go gauge?

I have a WUM1 that won't close on a Go gauge (East German). In fact, about 1/3 off all my factory built 7.62x39 AK's won't close on a Go gauge. About 1/3 require finger pressure on the rear of the carrier and about 1/3 close with no pressure.

I have a pair of factory barreled Romanian AIMS'-74 kits with consecutive serial numbers. Not only do they have different rear trunnions, but one closes on the Go gauge with no pressure while the other will not close at all. The second won't even close on some live cartridges. BTW, I always test headspace with the extractor and firing pin removed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    35 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Where did the OP state that it would not close on a Go gauge?

I have a WUM1 that won't close on a Go gauge (East German). In fact, about 1/3 off all my factory built 7.62x39 AK's won't close on a Go gauge. About 1/3 require finger pressure on the rear of the carrier and about 1/3 close with no pressure.

I have a pair of factory barreled Romanian AIMS'-74 kits with consecutive serial numbers. Not only do they have different rear trunnions, but one closes on the Go gauge with no pressure while the other will not close at all. The second won't even close on some live cartridges. BTW, I always test headspace with the extractor and firing pin removed.
    Well of course with the firing pin removed. I was just always told that if the Go gauge doesn't close then the head spacing is off. I had a Maadi, Npap & now this Wum 1 that closes on a go gauge which was tested at the shop, but wouldn't close on my field gauge which is really a No-go gauge. Now my question was, did the OP try a No go gauge to see what the out come on that was. My curious nature wanted to know the results. If wouldn't close on a go gauge but will on a no go then I would say something is up with the head spacing on the rifle. Just going by what I was taught by several gunsmiths, GO gauge should shut like when chambering a round. No Go & field gauges shouldn't shut. If the No Go or field gauge shuts then head spacing is off, correct? I am also not being a ass here, I just thought the OP posting was strange when he said & now you also stated that your rifle won't close on a GO gauge, I want to know the outcome if a NO GO or Field gauge was used.

Member #
    Liked
    320 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AKrunner View Post
    I was just always told that if the Go gauge doesn't close then the head spacing is off.
    When the rifle is new, this is correct. Just keep in mind that for whatever reason it is procedure to put pressure on the rear of the carrier to get the bolt to rotate all the way closed when checking headspace. Most new AK's will not close on a Go gauge if you don't do this.

but wouldn't close on my field gauge which is really a No-go gauge.
    This is not correct. A No-Go gauge is for when the rifle is new. A new rifle should not close on a No-Go gauge. Keep in mind that the purpose of the Go and No-Go gauges is for building. A worn rifle closing on a No-Go gauge is fine, so long as it won't close on a Field gauge. If it will close on a Field gauge, then you're in danger territory.

If wouldn't close on a go gauge but will on a no go then I would say something is up with the head spacing on the rifle.
    There's no way that it would close on a No-Go but not on a Go. You've got things reversed.

If the No Go or field gauge shuts then head spacing is off, correct? I am also not being a ass here, I just thought the OP posting was strange when he said & now you also stated that your rifle won't close on a GO gauge, I want to know the outcome if a NO GO or Field gauge was used.
    Good questions, so no problem. A rifle that was properly headspaced (and didn't close on a No-Go when new) might close on a No-Go when well worn. That's OK so long as it won't close on a Field gauge. Of course you could adjust the headspace of a well worn rifle to make in no longer close on a No-Go.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    1198 times
    Could be the gauges as well. Had rifles that gauge fine with East German gauges, but fail with the commercial gauges.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors