AK Rifles banner

Real deal or knock-off?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  justinmcmillion 
#1 ·
Wondering:

1. Real deal or knock-off?
2. Exactly which Romy mid-length carbines was it issued with? My understanding is only early 7.62 AIMR's, is this correct?

Technology Electronic device

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks for the compliment. I don't do anything fancy, it pretty much goes like this:

- cheap Canon Powershot SX130
- two indirect light sources, from either side of the object being photographed (this is the only equipment I bought special for these types of pictures, and its very worthwhile)
- always put something white in the picture (my entire background is white)
- each pic edited with the ultra simple MS Office (in Office 2010 and earlier) Photo Manager
- typically do a white balance (click <picture/color/enhance color> then click on something that needs to be whiter), and crop down to the essentials, that's it. If more detail in dark areas is required, click the <brightness>

That's it.

#6 ·
The AIMR folder is part of a large collection (collected by someone else) that I'm selling off. It will probably go up on GB unless someone makes an offer I can't refuse first.

#7 · (Edited)
It's legit, there are no proof marks to go by but no one has made a copy, yet ;) getting very close though!

there are two versions of the stock, one is ubber rare and has a wider butt plate and shorter strut, I posted the dimensions in an AIMR stock thread. If it's the rare one it's worth at least 30% more (I paid double for mine) only 50 confirmed stocks in the US from one importer, bought and sold original by one person, only 3 were of the short variant, he kept one, his buddy got one, and I have the 3rd so unless you bought from the original person or his buddy it's unlikely you got a short one.

The standard one is worth about $350-$400, I'm also making the latches with sling loops like the original, the latch in the stock is US made and didn't come with the original.

Yes these were only found on the early (late 80s) AIMR carbine which was replaced by the MD90 carbine because the AIMR stock broke easily and the hammer forged wire side folder was much stronger and easier to install. Some claim that the AIMR carbine and the MD90 carbine have different barrel and gas tube lengths, and that the Draco is believed to be the same length as the MD90 carbine while the AIMR is supposed to be slightly shorter - I've not found any factual information although some pictures seem to appear this way.

if you need any additional information just shoot me an email buddy

Justin

#9 ·
I only paid $750 for my SBR'd Draco with the AIMR stock already installed!

Now a Draco = $600 and AIMR stock = $400 + install (if you can't do it) $150 = $1150!

Around the same time I bought a PSL for $600...

With AK stuff I've found out to buy when they are in abundance, I bet the PAP rifles will be worth double in 5 years...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.