Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Senior Member

    Member #
    11617
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,163
    Liked
    6 times

    WASR proof marks

    I was wondering if anyone has info on WASR stamps "proof marks?"

    On my barrel I have a series of four 2's and a 10 stamped on it. Like 2 2 2 2 them below the 2's a 10 stamped. It also has some sort of triangle on the barrl that is barely visable. This stamp looks to also be on the trunnion near the barrel pin. I am not talking about the triangle with arrow either.
    Designating yourself as a type A personality only means you talk too much.

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    Member #
    11267
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dacula, Georgia
    Posts
    3,499
    Liked
    4 times

    Re: WASR proof marks

    The 2's correspond to diameters of the FSB, GB, RSB, and trunnion journals. They range 1-4; 1 being way undersized and 4 being way oversized.

  3. #3
    Junior Member

    Member #
    21245
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    24
    Liked
    0 times

    Re: WASR proof marks

    Like was already said they are sizing marks, when the parts were made they were sorted based on how close to spec size they were, any given part would mate up with its own number, or one number smaller or larger, so a 2 could be mated with a 1 or 3, but not with a 4. As to the triangle I do not know, from what I have read the larger triangle or triangle with the arrow designates guns built to military specs at the Cugir aromory in Romania depending on year range, as with many things there is some conflicting information on the difference between the two marks.

    Ike

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Member #
    127
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,729
    Liked
    17 times

    Re: WASR proof marks

    Quote Originally Posted by jonpo
    The 2's correspond to diameters of the FSB, GB, HGR, and RSB journals.
    The journals are for the front sight base, the gas block, the rear sight base and the trunnion. the handguard retainer is not a press fit and so the diameter of the barrel at that point is not critical.
    Practical not "tactical"

  5. #5
    Senior Member

    Member #
    16224
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,324
    Liked
    2 times

    Re: WASR proof marks

    Is the "triangle" on the barrel really a triangle or could it be a partially stamped diamond? I know the Soviets did that for barrel proofing.

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Member #
    11617
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,163
    Liked
    6 times

    Re: WASR proof marks

    Quote Originally Posted by CumbiaDude
    Is the "triangle" on the barrel really a triangle or could it be a partially stamped diamond? I know the Soviets did that for barrel proofing.
    The mark is thin and diminished at the base /\ as it appears it could be a diamond. And I believe that is what it is.
    Designating yourself as a type A personality only means you talk too much.

  7. #7
    Senior Member

    Member #
    11617
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,163
    Liked
    6 times

    Re: WASR proof marks

    So is my barrel surplus or new?
    Designating yourself as a type A personality only means you talk too much.

  8. #8
    Senior Member

    Member #
    127
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,729
    Liked
    17 times

    Re: WASR proof marks

    Surplus.
    Practical not "tactical"

  9. #9
    Senior Member

    Member #
    11617
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,163
    Liked
    6 times

    Re: WASR proof marks

    I haven't fired it yet but the chrome is still dull around the breech. So it hasn't seen much if any shooting.
    Designating yourself as a type A personality only means you talk too much.

  10. #10
    Senior Member

    Member #
    11267
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Dacula, Georgia
    Posts
    3,499
    Liked
    4 times

    Re: WASR proof marks

    Quote Originally Posted by ACMcom
    Quote Originally Posted by jonpo
    The 2's correspond to diameters of the FSB, GB, HGR, and RSB journals.
    The journals are for the front sight base, the gas block, the rear sight base and the trunnion. the handguard retainer is not a press fit and so the diameter of the barrel at that point is not critical.
    Yep, you are right. I was typing hast and trying to think of 4 barrel components. I;ll edit my original post

  11. #11
    Senior Member

    Member #
    11617
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,163
    Liked
    6 times

    Re: WASR proof marks

    Cool, thanks for the feedback. I don't know why this WASR is so intereting, I got a safe full of AK's...
    Designating yourself as a type A personality only means you talk too much.

  12. #12
    Junior Member

    Member #
    21245
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    24
    Liked
    0 times

    Re: WASR proof marks

    It is probably because WASR's are like a box of choclates, you never know what your going to get until you get into it

  13. #13
    Senior Member

    Member #
    11617
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,163
    Liked
    6 times

    Re: WASR proof marks

    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinLife
    It is probably because WASR's are like a box of choclates, you never know what your going to get until you get into it
    I think thats the best way to put it.. And you get a descent AK for $400..
    Designating yourself as a type A personality only means you talk too much.

  14. #14
    Senior Member

    Member #
    127
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,729
    Liked
    17 times

    Re: WASR proof marks

    Quote Originally Posted by jonpo
    Quote Originally Posted by ACMcom
    Quote Originally Posted by jonpo
    The 2's correspond to diameters of the FSB, GB, HGR, and RSB journals.
    The journals are for the front sight base, the gas block, the rear sight base and the trunnion. the handguard retainer is not a press fit and so the diameter of the barrel at that point is not critical.
    Yep, you are right. I was typing hast and trying to think of 4 barrel components. I;ll edit my original post
    I had a "senior moment" and couldn't remember what the third journal was for (RSB) until I read your post.

    Practical not "tactical"

 

 

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. are these russian proof marks?
    By kalibos in forum Russian
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-28-2010, 04:51 PM
  2. Strange proof marks on my new G19
    By thirdeye in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-12-2009, 03:33 PM
  3. Mag proof marks
    By ftbstrd in forum Magazines
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-08-2008, 09:58 PM
  4. Russian Trunnion Proof Marks..........
    By MrKrink in forum Russian
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-27-2008, 11:58 AM
  5. Help identifying proof marks
    By dana in forum Magazines
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-15-2006, 08:20 AM

Search tags for this page

difference between romanian and russian proof marks

,

wasr 10 markings

,

wasr 10 with triangle stamp

,

wasr trunion markings

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.