Tantal to Beryl folding stock change easy?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

Tantal to Beryl folding stock change easy?

I want to do a Polish Beryl folding stock for a new AK. It looks like this will give me the option to add a Krebs / Beryl (DPH) style top rail later on.

I haven't decided on a particular brand of AK, but see that maybe Arizona Response Systems sells something very close to what I want (7.62x39 AK with a Tantal folding stock).

So, is adding the Beryl stock as easy as removing the Tantal one from the gun & putting on the Beryl stock, or am I missing something here?

I PMed 'Shifty' on the board, and he says he can get the Beryl stock, but not the Polish trunion. He can get me a Tantal rear trunion.

I thought I read on here somewhere that the Polish rear trunion locks into the pistol grip and has 2 extra roll pins - do the Tantal rear trunions do the same thing? I think I've become a little confused.

Maybe I'm over-analyzing this, but at least know from experience it's better to start out knowing what you're getting into.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    The Polish Tantal rear trunnion looks like a Romy rear trunnion but has 2 small holes for the roll pins that helps retain the side folder.

I am curious how the Beryl folder mounts up too.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    it mounts so so. there is minute play due to the missing third long rivet. you should note that your going to have to cut your reciever so the beryl stock spring will clear it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I fit my Polish Beryl stock to my Romy G Kit build using a Tantal Rear Trunnion, fit like a glove, no receiver trimming & no third rivet for the trunnion.

*Edited to add, Shifty was the man who sold me this stock and trunnion, he has always came through for me.

Although the Beryl trunnion would be better, my stock came with a bracket that locks it down with the Pistol Grip nut so it is sturdy.

Member 135 "The Soldier fights not because he hates whats in front of him, he fights because he loves whats behind him."

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Thanks for your help, guys. I went ahead and sent the money for the stock today.

As far as notching the receiver for the spring, I expected that would have to be done (looking at the other posts I could find on here).

But if I do get any sort of play in the rear trunion, do you think I could add the holes for the roll pins to the Tantal rear trunion - is there enough material there?

Does anyone have pics of the pins or pinholes as it looks on the gun?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious_ak
    Thanks for your help, guys. I went ahead and sent the money for the stock today.

As far as notching the receiver for the spring, I expected that would have to be done (looking at the other posts I could find on here).

But if I do get any sort of play in the rear trunion, do you think I could add the holes for the roll pins to the Tantal rear trunion - is there enough material there?

Does anyone have pics of the pins or pinholes as it looks on the gun?
    No the Tantal Trunnion is basically the same as the Romy G ones, I had this stock mounted to my SAR-1 before I had built this kit.

I think you will find this stock to be very sturdy with no play.
    Member 135 "The Soldier fights not because he hates whats in front of him, he fights because he loves whats behind him."

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Soldier48 - Nice pics
    Do you have or could you take any pictures of the inside of the stock mount and a closeup of the other side of the mount?
    TIA

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tangotag
    Soldier48 - Nice pics
    Do you have or could you take any pictures of the inside of the stock mount and a closeup of the other side of the mount?
    TIA
    Let me see what I can have, if I dont have any I will have to take the rifle apart and what not. If that is the case I could do that by this weekend for you.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Thanks guys again for all your help. Soldier48, pics of your rifle and a couple other members on this board are the reason I got inspired to do something like this!

I have another question for you guys: I emailed ARS, and Mark said they are using Romanian folders, not the Tantal ones like I thought.
    I also want to add a Krebs / Beryl style rail soon after.
    Shifty is also sending me a Tantal trunion with my Beryl stock. Will the Romanian trunion be as tight, or should I look at sending the trunion off to be part of a build? Maybe ARS - your thoughts?

(I can make a different thread if need be)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious_ak
    Thanks guys again for all your help. Soldier48, pics of your rifle and a couple other members on this board are the reason I got inspired to do something like this!

I have another question for you guys: I emailed ARS, and Mark said they are using Romanian folders, not the Tantal ones like I thought.
    I also want to add a Krebs / Beryl style rail soon after.
    Shifty is also sending me a Tantal trunion with my Beryl stock. Will the Romanian trunion be as tight, or should I look at sending the trunion off to be part of a build? Maybe ARS - your thoughts?

(I can make a different thread if need be)
    Your welcome, I received help from many members on this place so it is always nice to pass it on.

I'm not sure who ARS is that you are refering to, but the use of the Krebs Beryl rail would be a great addition to your project. So far it looks like a great product, and all though it doesnt look exactly like the Beryl one, it is functional and pretty cool if you ask me.

Also the Romanian trunnion will work fine for the Beryl stock, I just went with the Tantal trunnion from Shifty because it was brand new with no rivets and since it was my first build I didn't want to mess with drilling the rivets out.

I'm excited to see how your build turns out, just keep us posted! And enjoy the journey its fun to set your sights on a fun project.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Thanks again. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the info.

The 'ARS ' I mentioned is 'Arizona Response Systems'. Looked like they had a model that was setup closest to what I wanted without having to change out the rear trunion - seems like that is still the case, although it's hard for me to tell from their low res pics.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    What rifle are you talking about I would like to see it?

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier48
    What rifle are you talking about I would like to see it?
    The website for them is www.arizonaresponsesystems.com (I cannot link directly to the picture - the best one is the first pic with wood handguards and the folding stock).

I also found this Vector today; however, I have read that the barrel will NOT be crome lined:
    http://vectorarms.com/shop/index.php?ma ... ucts_id=42

ETA - I just got off the phone with Vector.
    They said they could not guaranty a chrome lined barrel - if you order one and they don't have it, they will ship you one without chrome lining. They said they would NOT notify you - you just get what you get. I don't really like that kind of service. Too bad, as it's only $20 extra.
    Also, the person said they have a 8 month wait - they might have meant to say 8 weeks.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I added a Beryl stock to my Tantal. They swapped just fine. The only alteration I made was I filed a small/slight notch in the rear of the reciever to make room for the wire spring on the Beryl stock. You can see the wire spring in Soldier48's pic above.

This enabled the stock to fit flush with my reciever.
    WTB: Beryl 30rd magazines

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Well, I received my Beryl stock, trunion (Tantal), and various small parts today from 'Shifty'. The stock was well protected & looks great. I would not hesitate to do business with him again - he's the man if you need Polish stuff!

The only thing that I found quite *shocking* is how short the Beryl stock actually is. I swear, it doesn't look that short in the pics! :lol:

I'll have to post some pics when I get back from out of town.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors