AK Rifles banner

1993 Smooth top cover Tantal?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  AKBLUE 
#1 ·
Hi chaps,

Bought a Tantal kit off of gunbroker a few weeks ago and it finally came in the mail. Grade A+ kit with matching numbers, two mags, all parts, etc. Since the trunnion stated it was a 1993 rifle, I thought it would be a ribbed top cover like my other Tantal '93 kit. However, when I opened up the box the top cover was smooth and the numbers match the rest of the rifle. I thought smooth cover rifles were made in '92. Anybody have an explanation? My hypothesis is that this was a left-over part that made it's way onto the '93 rifle as it transitioned.

#3 ·
I've got an '89 with a matching, ribbed receiver cover and a '92 with a matching, smooth receiver cover.

I had presumed the production change from ribbed to smooth cover was for a reason (like the changes to the FCG and the handguard retainer) and I'd be surprised if the Poles reverted to the ribbed cover the next year.

Are you saying that your other '93 has a ribbed cover with a matching serial?

These are mine:

#4 ·
Yes, what I'm saying is that they both have the LZ prefix, both are made in 1993 from Works 11, and the rifle with the higher serial number has a matching ribbed top cover. The rifle with the lower serial number has a smooth top cover. They must have switched back in '93 for some reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.