Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Vietnam War era AK-47 types/identification?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.

I am going to aquire an AK-47 the next time I go to Vietnam. Before you think I can't do it and stop reading,,hear my argument as to why I think I can get one.
    My dad met my mom during the war. She goes back every three years. I went in 2008 and will be going back in 2015. I have a cousin who is mayor of a province there. He has a government car & got driver. It was pretty sweet meeting him. I have a great uncle who was VietCong. I have another uncle who is police chief of a province just outside of Ho Chi Minh City. If there is anyone who can find me an AK47 from that era, those family members would.

Now, if you believe I might be able to aquire an AK - 47, would you help me? My goal would be to get a Rare one, but any used during the war is admired by me for historical value.

Am I correct in saying the types were Chinese and North Korean?

I don't need to be an expert but I do need to be able to identify the variants from each other.

What is the bare minimum that needs to be done in order for it to go through customs.

These are my main concerns. I'm sure you all can help
    M70AB2, WTS:rare condition Yugoslavian National Army 63rd Special Brigade jump helmet w/ red mannequin head

Member #
    Liked
    13 times

Re: Vietnam War era AK-47 types/identification?

Getting one there shouldnt be an issue. Getting one back in the state is the no-no. LOL

At true Chinese Type56 (milled), or North Korean Type58 (milled) would be badass.

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    45 times

You'd have to get an import license which won't happen on a functioning machine gun. You MIGHT be able to get it legally imported minus the cur receiver and barrel but I think you'll have issues there as well
    Instead of telling each other how bad the situation is why not take 2 minutes of your life and tell our elected officials instead? www.congress.org

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by HoppR
    Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this.

I am going to aquire an AK-47 the next time I go to Vietnam. Before you think I can't do it and stop reading,,hear my argument as to why I think I can get one.
    My dad met my mom during the war. She goes back every three years. I went in 2008 and will be going back in 2015. I have a cousin who is mayor of a province there. He has a government car & got driver. It was pretty sweet meeting him. I have a great uncle who was VietCong. I have another uncle who is police chief of a province just outside of Ho Chi Minh City. If there is anyone who can find me an AK47 from that era, those family members would.

Now, if you believe I might be able to aquire an AK - 47, would you help me? My goal would be to get a Rare one, but any used during the war is admired by me for historical value.

Am I correct in saying the types were Chinese and North Korean?

I don't need to be an expert but I do need to be able to identify the variants from each other.

What is the bare minimum that needs to be done in order for it to go through customs.

These are my main concerns. I'm sure you all can help
    Getting one in a place such as that and with contacts such as that is probably little effort and expense.

However, if you manage to obtain a true military-issue, select-fire Chinese Type 56 or North Korean Type 58 rifle, you'll not ever legally get it through US Customs and the BATFE. Unless it's already tranferrable and...:

a. amnesty registered (likely in 1968)
    b. legally registered as a converted fully automatic rifle (before 1986)

then it's too late for you. There's no changing or converting it into semi-automatic, no historical status clause, and no weird approval from someone that makes it OK. In fact, you can't even send it as a properly BATFE-approved method demilitarized kit. Firstly, they won't approve your Form 6 because of the current location of the item (Vietnam). Secondly, they won't approve your Form 6 because of the origin of the item (China and North Korea). Thirdly, they won't approve your item because you can't have the original barrel, anyway.

On top of everything, I'm quite sure the authorities in Vietnam are not going to permit you to mail back or export such an item, anyway.

Have a read regarding the BATFE and US Customs/State Department rules and regulations that govern such things. It may save you some headache and 20 years in Federal (or worse...Vietnamese) prison possibly.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Would it be worth it to get it back to the US without the receiver and barrel, and then add those when I get back, or will that completely destroy the value?

I read somewhere about welding small metal pieces over some holes to make the reciever compliant. That true?

I am willing to go through any expense and red tape. I will definitely do the suggested reading. What I am not willing to do is be convicted of a felony. I conceal carry a Glock36 and will not jeopardize my permit for anything.
    M70AB2, WTS:rare condition Yugoslavian National Army 63rd Special Brigade jump helmet w/ red mannequin head

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Oops. Meant to edit.

Member #
    Liked
    170 times

Did you just quote yourself to add a comment? You can edit your own posts to add/change text.

You should take all the money and effort that you're willing to pour into a dubious project in VN and just find a demilled parts kit on Gunbroker or the sales board.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard W.
    Did you just quote yourself to add a comment? You can edit your own posts to add/change text.

You should take all the money and effort that you're willing to pour into a dubious project in VN and just find a demilled parts kit on Gunbroker or the sales board.
    Because I will probably pay only a couple hundred over there. Your suggestion does make sense though.

Member #
    Liked
    170 times

I'm not going to look it up, but I have to presume that they have laws in that country about firearms. Might even be more severe than our own.

It would be a shame if you got yourself or one of your relatives in a bad legal jam. You should do some homework that is more reliable than consulting a bunch of anonymous strangers on a message board.

2 cents worth.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by Richard W.
    I'm not going to look it up, but I have to presume that they have laws in that country about firearms. Might even be more severe than our own.

It would be a shame if you got yourself or one of your relatives in a bad legal jam. You should do some homework that is more reliable than consulting a bunch of anonymous strangers on a message board.

2 cents worth.
    Rayman1 may be anonymous, but his reply pointed me to the verbiage I need to be educated on. I could image how many additional hours I would have spent if there weren't an Internet that had a forum where people can share in the same interests, knowledge, etc. I have 2 years before I go to Vietnam. I'm starting my homework now and these fellas have been helpful to this AK47 noob. You must start somewhere right?

You are correct. Vietnamese civilians are not allowed firearms.

I'll have to go through my government relatives.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Would it be worth it to get it back to the US without the receiver and barrel, and then add those when I get back, or will that completely destroy the value?

I read somewhere about welding small metal pieces over some holes to make the reciever compliant. That true?

I am willing to go through any expense and red tape. I will definitely do the suggested reading. What I am not willing to do is be convicted of a felony. I conceal carry a Glock36 and will not jeopardize my permit for anything.
    Regardless of the rules and regulations that govern such weapons in private possession in Vietnam, such a rifle will never make it into the US because of:

* US State Department regulations that govern importation of such articles into the US due to the origin of the articles
    * US Customs regulations that govern importation of such articles into the US due to what they are
    * US BATFE regulations that govern possession of such articles in the US by US citizens.

To be blunt, your rifles can't even be cut up in accordance with proper BATFE demilitarization regulations as a kit to be imported on a Form 6 because they're from China and North Korea (State Department rule) and the origin of such is in Vietnam.

There is no allowance for such rifles to be imported, nor to be possessed, by simply welding small metal pieces over some holes. Firstly, you need to read the BATFE's regulation regarding the proper demilitarization of a fully automatic weapon to render it in compliance. It's literally the destruction of the firearm - 1/4" torch cuts through the receiver and the destruction of the barrel. That said, other countries have their own regulations regarding proper demilitarizing weapons which do have requirements such as simply welding something. But that's not here in the US.

I'm sorry to say, but there isn't any "red tape" you can go through to get such an item out of Vietnam, into the US, and legally owned by you (short of being provided an Executive Order that permits you to do so). But certainly don't take my word for it - do your own reading and footwork.

As mentioned, you're better off just buying the parts of an auction or a gun forum and building your dream rifle. You'd certainly spend less money doing so, instead of spending a great deal of time, money, and effort just spinning your wheels in a futile attempt that would likely draw some unwanted attention your way. Risking the retention of your concealed carry permit would be among the very least things you'd lose by pursuing the importation and possession of an illegal fully automatic weapon from a listed country.

The topic is honestly a dead one. I'd recommend doing like everyone else and simply get a legal, semi-automatic representative rifle built:

Member #
    Liked
    21 times

Sorry OP Rayman is absolutely right on this one. My "holy grail rifle" has always been the milled receiver Type 56 with the underfolding spike bayonet, if there was a way to get one in believe me I would have done it !! Even trying to clone one can be a challenge.
    " Oh yeah, they're ready for somebody....They're not ready for us" - Snakedoc

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Thanks for the help guys!

One question though. Are there any AK47s from that era that has plywood furniture?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

One question though. Are there any AK47s from that era that has plywood furniture?
    East Block had laminated furniture

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by prochine

East Block had laminated furniture
    Not necessarily.

Bulgarian manufactured some with hardwood and non-laminated wood furniture. So did Hungary, North Korea, and East Germany.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors