AK Rifles banner

My SLR-95 tang install (pic heavy)

20K views 29 replies 16 participants last post by  Richard W. 
#1 ·
First up is remove thumbhole stock and this is what I had...

I was lucky to find that mine was already milled out for the Tang(I have heard that some are not)...

I bought my Lower tang complete with rivets from K-VAR...

Next I found the rear PG rivet and a small divet in the reciever...

I removed the rivet and drilled the other hole all the way through using a 5/32 drill bit....

test fit the Tang...

I found it easier to clamp the rear tang temp. while I drilled through the lower tang and installed the two rivets....

with the two rivets installed, you can now head for the press...

This is where my camera batteries went dead...I had to make a custom backing plate, then used the plate from my trigger jig for the inside...came out excellent....now I just have to find two screws for the lower tang.

See less See more
#5 ·
GeneStoner said:
Thank you so much!

Do you see any reason why you couldn't SCREW the tang on to the receiver (vice riveting) to make it easier to interchange an ACE folding stock as the situation dictates?
I don't see why not...the lower tang adds a liitle extra strength to the stock(without it the stock could break the upper off)Maybe drilling and tapping the tang,so you could screw directly into itfrom the bottom of the reciever.

#7 ·
Bret said:
Thanks for the writeup. Too bad mine isn't milled for the tang. :evil:
Woah! Glad you noticed that! My SA-93 does not have that little recess that allows the new tang to seat like the one in the pix.

Is there a work-around? Don't really want to grind away at my receiver...

#8 ·
Update: On the SA-93, you have to file the tang groove yourself. No easy way to do it, except with a SHARP new 1/2" file.

I tapped the receiver and used hex-screws to secure the tang, so that one could alternate between a wood stock and an ACE folding stock, mission-dependant.

#11 ·
I am about to drill & tap mine. Any tips or things I should know before I do it? Thanks

#14 ·
Well, I got the fever after missing out on a '95 for $650 shipped found a '93 for $750. Now, looks ike I'm in for some work. What about using a Dremel tool? I know you can make bigger mistakes faster. Any other tips? The seller is including the tang as he was going to do the same thing.

#15 ·
zeme05 said:
What about using a Dremel tool? I know you can make bigger mistakes faster.
Sure, but be advised, a mistake here will cause a serious bubba-effect with a loose stock on an nice gun. At bare minimum, use a sharp file to get the lower corners of the groove tight and square for the tang...

#21 ·
I've got a lower tang inbound from CNC Warrior (much cheaper shipping than K-VAR!) and unfortunately no slot on my SLR-95. I will probably have to pick up a 1/4" file from Harbor Freight as there is one nearby. I am contemplating going the screw route vice the rivets because it would allow me to convert the rifle back to its original form if desired. Any thoughts?

Cheers! M2

#27 · (Edited)
I did exactly this. A sharp file will make a difference. Just took some time, like a couple afternoons infront of TV for a few hours working it. The cut out you get is perfect for the tang. The grip covers the screws just fine. My only problem is fitting the stock. Its a pain in the butt "for me anyway.." The reward is worth it. I am converting it to a AR-M1 clone. Very much like the milled receiver.

#28 ·
I used a carbide cutter on my Dremel to hog out most of the extra steel when I slotted my Sa93 receiver. Then I used a triangular file to square it up.

Just watch the splinters the cutter makes. Had them embedded all over my hands for weeks.

Helps a lot to have an example to study, if you can lay hands on a cut stub. Watch out for that lower back edge; it's the only part that shows when a tang is installed so you want to make it neat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.