AK Rifles banner

Installing the steel triangle folding stock

38K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  mbjku 
#1 ·
Mods, please sticky this. I've written/read it in several threads and now I'm starting to get e-mails asking me how to do it. :grin:

Tutorial for installing the steel triangle folding stock

EDIT: If you install this triangle stock, you may also have to install another US made part on the rifle to maintain your 922(r) compliance. Magazine floorplates or a US-made muzzle brake are the easiest substitutions to make.

First make sure if you are installing this on a Bulgarian rifle that you are using a Bulgarian stock with the proper 4.5mm hinge pin. Russian stocks use a 5.5mm pin.

Field strip the rifle by taking off the top cover, removing the recoil assembly, and removing the bolt and bolt carrier.

Turn the rifle upside down. Take the pistol grip off.

Let the stock "flop" between front and rear lockup positions so you don't have it under spring tension.

Using a brass hammer and punch, tap the hinge pin out from bottom to top.

Remove the old stock.

Turn the rifle right side up. Put the new stock on. Make sure the sling swivel faces the ejection port side when the stock is open.

Let the stock "flop" between lock up positions so that it is not under spring tension. I find it also helps to visually look down the hole and line up the hinge hole with the receiver holes before proceeding. You may have to keep the stock in one position or another to line up the holes perfectly while trying to install the pin.

With the folding stock in place, put the skinny end of the hinge pin in through the top receiver hinge hole. Tap down with a brass hammer until you can rotate the hinge on the folding stock without it becoming unaligned with the receiver. Then use the hammer and punch to tap the pin in the rest of the way.

It literally takes less time to do all of this than it did to type it.

I have done all of this with the rifle sitting on my lap, so that should indicate to you how little pounding and hammering it takes.

Put the pistol grip back on. Remember that the pistol grip nut is supposed to tilt toward the rear.

Open first beer. Drink.

Work the stock back and forth to overcome the stiffness. Make sure the stock latches at both the front and the rear. This may require a little bit of hand strength until the stock "wears in" a little.

SOME TIPS:

Do NOT use excessive force to remove or reinstall the hinge pin, make the stock latch, or for any other reason. Anything beyond "hand strength" to make the stock latch, or anything more than gentle tapping with the brass hammer and punch to remove/replace the hinge pin should be considered too much force.

Sometimes the pin will be a little tight and require a little extra force to tap into the hole. It should NOT require a bigger hammer. :grin:

I have handled one example of a stock that required hitting with my fist and pushing with my open hands to get it to latch a few times until it had a chance to "wear in" a little. Do NOT use tools. I did this on my lap, so it did not require much more than gentle force.

See less See more
#9 ·
Nice write-up!

How does the catch on the front of the receiver install, (the one that holds the triangle folder in the closed position)?

Thank you in advance.

#14 ·
Slight trimming of the stock may be needed also, depending on parts used. Where the front latch contacts the stock, on some SLR-107s at least, the latch rests farther forward and is about an 1/8" from 'clearing' the edge of the stock. The stock I was using was a rolled edge ribbed butt 'bulgarian'.

#15 ·
clange said:
Slight trimming of the stock may be needed also, depending on parts used. Where the front latch contacts the stock, on some SLR-107s at least, the latch rests farther forward and is about an 1/8" from 'clearing' the edge of the stock. The stock I was using was a rolled edge ribbed butt 'bulgarian'.

Interesting. I did four of them and they were all a drop-in fit. I guess once in a while there must be some that are a little off spec or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.