AK Rifles banner

ACE receiver block installation for milled rifles ...

23K views 42 replies 22 participants last post by  Apache 
#1 · (Edited)
There seems to be enough interest about the Cut-The-Tang receiver blocks for milled rifles that I decided to make a pictorial guide for the guys who don't know how to install one ...

Step 1)
Take a brand new, just out of the box Arsenal SA M-7 and inform it that it has fallen into the wrong hands and needs to be modified ...
This rifle was actually purchased for this particular modification ...

Step 2)
Remove the pistol grip and buttstock from the rifle ...

Step 3)
Cut the lower tang flush to the back of the receiver, file if necessary to smooth it up ...

Step 4)
Mark the upper tang about a 1/4 inch from the rear of the receiver, about 1/8 past the little ridge on the tang. Look at the ACE block and you'll see how far it needs to be. It's better to cut the tang long and take off more material if necessary ...

Step 5)
Cut off the tang and finish it with a file, the edges will need to be slightly rounded, use the block as a guide and test fit frequently ...

Step 6)
Blue the tang with your favorite bluing ...

Step 7)
Now we're ready to install the block. If you are going to use the folding mechanism then your good to go, just bolt it all together.

Step 8) Optional mounting ...
If you are not going to use the folding mechanism then the stock will be a little lower than the receiver when you mount it because of the way ACE does their mounting holes on this block. The easy fix for that is to just put screws in the existing holes with threadlocker and cut them off flush with a Dremel, then redrill and tap the screw holes, the sling swivel stud may need to be shortened slightly ...

Step 9)
Attach new badass Izhevsk grip and your favorite muzzle device, in this case it's the old style chicom RPK brake ...

Step 10)
Sit back and fondle your newest AK addition while watching the greatest AK oriented movie ever made RED DAWN ...

See less See more
#31 ·
Apache said:
The ACE stocks seem sturdy enough "as is" ...
I'm not sure about a using a Delrin or hollow tube in the design, I alway's replace my tubes with solid stock and use the longest screws possible, ACE uses two 10-32 screws which I wish were a 12-24. I also wish the stocks were steel instead of aluminum. Supposedly ACE stocks are in use in Iraq and Afghanistan but I wouldn't know ...
What size stock did you use??

#32 ·
What if you dont cut the tang and just make a cut in the reciever block to allow the tang to pass threw it, would the folding mech. fit under the tang????

I dont want to cut my tang but also dont like the big block. I'm thinking maybe the internal block can be modified to fit around the tang????

#33 ·
I'm sure the internal block can be modified to keep the tang and use the folding mechanism but I think the mechanism is going to hit your hand when holding the grip which I find annoying ...

Sometimes I think about whether I should have cut the tang or not but then I shoulder my rifle and aim and I know it was the right choice "for me" ... :razz:

#35 ·
Apache said:
Step 8) Optional mounting ...
If you are not going to use the folding mechanism then the stock will be a little lower than the receiver when you mount it because of the way ACE does their mounting holes on this block. The easy fix for that is to just put screws in the existing holes with threadlocker and cut them off flush with a Dremel, then redrill and tap the screw holes, the sling swivel stud may need to be shortened slightly ...
Any advice for someone who has never tapped holes before as to how and go about this? How does one make new holes that are threaded? Thanks.

#37 ·
Belloc said:
Any advice for someone who has never tapped holes before as to how and go about this? How does one make new holes that are threaded? Thanks.
Well, if you've never tapped a hole before you might wanna run by a machine shop and have them do it, it should be cheap. It's not complicated to do, just go to the local hardware store with the screw and tell them you need a tap and a drill bit for that size. All you're doing is drilling a hole and turning the tap in it to cut the threads. The hardest part is drilling the hole straight ...

#39 ·
To each his own but I think it's insane to butcher the receiver like that. Has anyone created a reasonably priced alternative yet?

#42 ·
That's the beauty of living in America, you paid for it , you can do damn well what you please. Doesn't look bad by my estimate. I insalled a Stormwekz folding mech on a Draco and it worked well. I have heard they may be alittle stronger. I did weld a bottom tang to a SLR 93 and it worked out well.

#43 ·
All I was doing was showing the guys who do that it's a really easy modification, especially since there aren't any other folding stock options for milled AKs and the regular ACE block looks really crappy ...

If someone doesn't want to chop off their tang then don't ... :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.