AK Rifles banner

Range report: SA M7 Classic

804 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  rj308 
#1 ·
Well, the weather this morning was a little breezy and cold, but sunny.

I decided to git 'er done and try out the new Classic.

I knew when I bought this rifle it would be mostly a safe queen, but I do plan to shoot it once in a while also. Let the SA M7 Carbine get blood, sweat, and tears on it. The Classic gets the babying.

I decided to shoot Federal American Eagle FMJ's in it. No way ComBloc ammo is touching this baby.

I went to an old rock quarry about thirty minutes from where I live. Distances are around 100 yards, give or take.

The rifle was more or less perfectly sighted in at the factory. I didn't touch the elevation or windage. I had a few misses, but I suspect it was me pulling the shots. I caught myself jerking the trigger a couple of times.

Still, when the sights were perfect and I did my part, the rifle hit the target every time.

I was also pleasantly surprised to find that my Classic has a two-stage trigger. All of my Arsenal AK's have the new Metal Injection Molded hammer and disconnector, and what appears to be a Bulgarian trigger.

Only the Classic, however, has a two-stage trigger. Either this is a happy accident, or Arsenal took the extra time to equip all the Classics with two-stage triggers.

Out in the bright sunlight, I noticed the stock had a couple of dents in it.

Oh well. I'm not sure whether to blame Arsenal or Jensen, but those dents are there even though they don't appear to be anything more than cosmetic. That baby-shit yellow furniture is going to have to go someday anyway, I think.

Reliability, of course, was 100%.

Overall, I'm glad I got the rifle.

Good Lord willing and the crick don't rise, I plan to make this my last milled Arsenal AK.

I see no better way to bring this part of my collection to a close than to end with the version of the SA M7 rifle that first attracted me to start buying Arsenal's Las Vegas made guns back in 2002.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the report. I'm curious to know why you won't shoot any "ComBloc ammo" out of it?

My Classic will be here on Monday and I'm very much looking forward to getting my grubby mitts on it! And I plan on shooting the shite out of it :bd:

#4 ·
Funny you mention the two stage trigger, only my Arsenal RPK-7 has one, my Classics do not, so maybe you lucked out and got an oddball. My RPK on the bipod will rapid fire with just recoil action if I'm not careful to fully let off the two stage trigger after each shot. Gets me some startled looks from the range Fudds when this happens :oops: but I have to confess I kind of like it :twisted:

#8 ·
Two stage trigger

I may be talking out of my behind here, but what makes an AK trigger "two stage" is, stage one is take up and stage two is when the "head of the disconnector contacts the hammer before the sear engagement surfaces of the trigger release the hammer. The disconnector spring tension is the second stage. A couple of my AK's had doubling problems. To fix them, I ground the bottom of the disconnector to give it 30 to 40% more engagement on the hammer. this allowed the disconnector to move closer to the hammer and contact it just before the trigger released it giving it a two stage pull. Maybe, it is just chance that some of Arsenals guns have a two stage pull depending how much the disconnector is ground on it's bottom which will determine where the disconnector stops after the trigger is released.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.