• 1 Post By jetspeed8
  • 1 Post By Ram Rod
  • 1 Post By Ram Rod

Thread: SLR-95 stock easy mod

Member #
    Liked
    884 times

SLR-95 stock easy mod

Well, seems to be plenty of threads days gone by about the original Bulgarian SLR rifles. Doing away with that evil thumb hole stock. The one that people laugh about even though you have one of the best milled AKs to ever be produced. You're a freakin outcast and you don't v=even dare mention that your SLR-95 or SA-93 is still worth more than their surplus crap built out of a kit.
    There have been plenty of posts through the years as to how to free yourself of the stigma.......the butthole (thumb hole) stock and make it look like a real AK.
    As is my mission.....I started today. Lower tang and intermediate K Var stock. I've been planning this for a couple of weeks. It's really an awesome feeling to cross things off your (my) list. I didn't depend upon past threads although they were helpful in a lot of ways.
    I'm just going to leave it to the pictures to explain. The holes in the lower tang for the receiver mount were close enough and I had some taps in the shop. I threaded all holes 10/24. Was rather easy by hand. No drilling of the lower tang required. So I threaded all the way through the lower receiver, trigger guard, and tang. Nuts on top, blue Loc Tite. In one of the pics you will notice that hole in the stock. I threaded it to 5/16-18 just in case I went for the block idea. Was a perfect fit ready for 5/16-18 but could even go to 3/8-16 for that matter. Hell....its polymer so............
    Anyways here are my highlights of today. My queen is back in the safe and just as capable as any of them. I will post more pics soon of the total transformation. Needless to say, I'm really excited about this project. I have more USA parts coming this week

[img]
    Gman and RandyB like this.
    No......it's not that I'm up early....or late for that matter. It's just that I never sleep.
    Sans Remords

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I need to get a hold of a lower tang.
    RandyB likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    438 times
    So tell me why you didn't just rivet it in place?

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    884 times
    Quote Originally Posted by pinakar View Post
    So tell me why you didn't just rivet it in place?
    I do understand the concept of the rivets, but I lack the proper tools for the task. I know I could probably come up with some makeshift way of doing it.....but that might take longer to do than the whole project did. Since I tapped through all three layers or parts/pieces, I figure the holding strength is just as good or better than rivets. I also had to bolt everything together to make sure the angle of the dangle was right for the bottom tang to screw into the butt stock. Initially.....when I held the tang in place and slid the stock in with my other hand....it appeared as though it might have needed to be shimmed as the angle looked wrong and the hole farthest away from the end of the receiver for the stock screw looked like it was 1/8" or so from meeting the stock flush in the recess like it should. With only two rivets, having to drill one out for adjustment would leave me hanging on the project for a while longer since I don't have any more rivets laying around. I do however have plenty of button head screws laying around.......and nuts
    LOL! You asked.
    No......it's not that I'm up early....or late for that matter. It's just that I never sleep.
    Sans Remords

Member #
    Sage (East side of the Temecula Wine Country), Southwest Riverside County, Southern California
    Liked
    150 times
    Anyone who looks down on an SA-93 or SLR-95 also drinks out of the toilet, licks their own armpits and likes to sniff old dirty socks and underwear.
    AK Nazi Purist & Mosin Sniper Devil

Member #
    Liked
    143 times
    Good job RamRod

Member #
    Liked
    157 times
    I'm watching. My tang is coming today and I'm probably gonna use screws, but am tempted to weld it..

Member #
    Liked
    884 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
    am tempted to weld it..
    You know? That idea just makes me cringe. I mean knowing what a small confined space you're dealing with, spatter on the inside of receiver, heating the receiver and around the trigger guard area........then the sense of permanency there. I mean if that thing is off the tiniest amount or the angle changes....................dude! Very little ways of adjusting. Hell. I'd almost think that epoxy like JBWeld would be easier to wreck out of there if a redo was necessary. Screws you can always adjust and rivets you can drill out. But welding...........................................
    Just sayin
    Last edited by Ram Rod; 01-12-2017 at 09:19 PM. Reason: spelling might know. just sayin
    RandyB likes this.
    Sans Remords

Member #
    Liked
    157 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    You know? That idea just makes me cringe. I mean knowing what a small confined space you're dealing with, spatter on the inside of receiver, heating the receiver and around the trigger guard area........then the sense of permanency there. I mean if that thing is off the tiniest amount or the angle changes....................dude! Very little ways of adjusting. Hell. I'd almost think that epoxy like JBWeld would be easier to wreck out of there if a redo was necessary. Screws you can always adjust and rivets you can drill out. But welding...........................................
    Just sayin
    I screwed it just like yours!

Now are you gonna swap the GB and FSB for a cleaning rod on yours?

Member #
    Liked
    884 times
    I screwed it just like yours!

Now are you gonna swap the GB and FSB for a cleaning rod on yours?
    At this point....that's a bit far off. Maybe not even likely. I couldn't care less about having a cleaning rod nor mounting a bayo. I put a bayo on my Yugo M70AB2 now and then just for the hell of it. My Arsenal SLR-104 looks real cool with bayo and cleaning rod I guess.....but I never shoot with a bayo attached. Besides......it took me long enough just to do what I did to my SLR-95 and that was child's play. I don't knw if I want to get involved in some real work or not. LOL!
    Sans Remords

Member #
    Liked
    157 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    At this point....that's a bit far off. Maybe not even likely. I couldn't care less about having a cleaning rod nor mounting a bayo. I put a bayo on my Yugo M70AB2 now and then just for the hell of it. My Arsenal SLR-104 looks real cool with bayo and cleaning rod I guess.....but I never shoot with a bayo attached. Besides......it took me long enough just to do what I did to my SLR-95 and that was child's play. I don't knw if I want to get involved in some real work or not. LOL!
    I got the parts and my gunsmith says I can wait while he swaps them, but I don't know. I'm like you, I never have cared about a cleaning rod before and I've never even owned a bayonet at all. So I may just sell these parts and leave as is.

Member #
    Liked
    884 times
    I got the parts and my gunsmith says I can wait while he swaps them, but I don't know. I'm like you, I never have cared about a cleaning rod before and I've never even owned a bayonet at all. So I may just sell these parts and leave as is.
    But here's the thing. I love my SLR-95 and have for a long time (even with the butthole stock did I)...LOL! It was my very first AK and a true import to boot. While I have given it thought in the past....about selling this princess.....I could never bring myself to do it. Converting mine is just one of those things. Not peer pressure nor with ideas of reselling it for profit. Hell......nobody wants to pay $1000 for this rifle no matter what but yet a polish underfolder build demands at least that if not more! I think it's just the idea of the SLR-95 or SA 93 being "ban" rifles and associated with the Clintons and their mess. I see folks talk shit all the time about the SLR-95 in particular. Asshats on other forums and all over the internet talking shit and saying "hey dude.......you can find one for $600"....or no way I'd buy one for more than $700....but they are the best ever.....kinda shit. Know what? Let them live in their fantasy world and keep wishing they had an SLR-95 with or without butthole stock. I don't cater to assholes and never will. Pry it from my cold dead hands possibly......but not after the fight. This is my keeper until the sun sets on my stupid old azz.
    Okay.....well now........if I was offered ten grand for it? MMMmmmmmmaybe.
    But I am impressed at how she looks the somewhat classic look for me now, and that's truly all that matters.
    If it's worth anything now......I can always go back to the original...butthole stock and be back to square one. I might even find a frame or make a shadow box for the butthole stock and hang it on the wall to remind me.........just how far things have come and that my princess is now a queen.

Now....how's that for a bedtime story kids?
    RandyB likes this.
    Sans Remords

Member #
    Liked
    157 times
    Good night JimBob... I like mine too!

Sponsors