AK Rifles banner

SLR-95 Inbound

3K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Ram Rod 
#1 ·
Just bought this new/unfired unmolested rifle. I'm not crazy about bayo lugs and cleaning rods, however I may want to make it look classic. The guy is including laminated wood. So, 1st is a lower tang. Anyone know a source for a surplus tang. Next will be an ALG trigger or a RAK-1.

I sold my last C39V2 with thought of going Saiga or VEPR and this is what happened. Any info, sources of reference specific to this rifle is greatly appreciated.

Gun Airsoft Air gun Airsoft gun Trigger

Metalworking hand tool Revolver Trigger Tool

See less See more
#7 ·
I have an SLR-95.
Just PM me anytime. I think I know where you got this rifle. LOL!
Anyways.....I am going to convert mine to the standard but stock with or without the lower tang. I'm going to engineer something myself and we'll see. I have some great ideas. Wood laminate might be easier to do matter of fact....but I'm wanting to stick with the black polymer furniture for now. The muzzle on mine was threaded and an AMD-65 brake installed years ago by Global Trades. Muzzle had to be threaded for that, but the brake is pinned and welded. No big deal because I really like that brake. Not sure if yours was press fit or threaded and pinned/welded like mine. Love some Bulgarian AK! My other one is an SLR-104FR.
So.....congratulations on your new SLR-95MB!

#13 ·
I used a bastard file to cut lower tang if you don't already have cutout. Just takes a little time. Desert fox has tangs. Remove the reinforcement piece spot welded to the tang. It just gets in the way and causes more fitting.

Reactions: RandyB
#15 ·
You guys do know when I'm just screwing around right? I mean don't take things personal. And I mean nobody. it's just my opinion that some should try loosening up a bit. Kinda like giving the guys some raz at work. I know there are good days and bad days for everyone. I just think the BS keeps things flowing and damned if this isn't a discussion forum. You say this...I say that.....and by golly you could defend yourself once in a while and say (or tell me) I'm off my rocker or just go fly a kite. I'd welcome that actually. The bottom line is we are all different and we like different things. The guns we own are our favorites. One thing I like about this forum is it never (doesn't seem like) get into a heated debate. Sometimes I'd like to be picked on actually for anything I say that could be construed as disrespect.
Not sure why I picked this thread to lay it all out.....maybe it was just the few days of silence since I posted what I posted. I did not edit that...and see no need to. Defend your position and in turn......I'll be more than happy to be your friend. If you want to tell me I've stepped over a line then please be cordial and tell me by sending me a PM. I just don't like silence......that's the worst thing. Rather do a public apology for those feeling offended in any way than sit in silence.
Seriously.
You might know me a little bit more now.

#19 ·
did someone take that personally...i certainly didnt,,i like a good raz every now and then and your smiley face thing just confirms that you said it in good nature..i said what i did just to break balls and have no clue which is better because i never shot a sa 95..i do own a SA 93 though,,,and a convertd mak 90 and a BNIB norinco 56s and a BNIB 2 digit serial# POLYTECH LEGEND AND A SAIGA 12 THAT IS TRICKED OUT I also have a 1975 colt detective special a DPMS lr308 a springfield XDS in .45ACP and a BNIB arsenal slr 107F triangle folder....

#16 ·
"Way to dump ur purse!"
i like the slr95 converted, but I prefer to sa93 converted. Both have excellent factory Bulgarian receivers, and I know those guys are still cranking out the slr95 profile barrels for military use. But I like the heavier T3 profile barrel of the sa93.

#21 ·
Are you guys hanging on to your thumb hole stocks after converting?
I mean part of me says I won't need it anymore then part of me says........mmmmmaybe I should keep it as long as I own this rifle. Then the butt pad has that undeniable genuine Arsenal logo on it too.

#23 · (Edited)
The old SLR thumbhole polymer stocks are not really worth anything. Just as easy to throw it in a box vs trying to sell it for $10.

I've been pondering a SLR 95 rework by pulling the barrel and installing a T3 Bulgarian barrel I purchased on a K-VAR sale for like $159 a few years ago..
I have the milled GB & FSB, and complete milled kit ($79 when they were cheap) for the milled mag latch in the rigger guard and the tube type recoil assembly. I installed the lower buttstock tang years ago.
Have an older set of Bulgarian wood.
But dunno if it is worth the effort or not.., maybe this spring.

I can re-use the pulled SLR barrel in an AKM build or sell it off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.