AK Rifles banner

AK74 series date codes other then 29-31?

5K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  AKMAC 
#1 ·
Anyone have any photos of Bulgarian date codes other then 29, 30, and 31?

Seems like every AK74 I can find is 29, with some exceptions of 30 (few and far between), and every AKS74 (a whopping 2) is 31..

We know for sure from RPK74 kits imported into the US that they were making/assembling RPK74s as early as 1984.

I have seen photos of some of the early "double stamped" Bulgarian 74s with an Izhmash marked trunnion (but no year) but that is it.

#10 ·
27 is the earliest I have seen. I keep casually looking for one marked 27 to go with my uncommon Bulgarian 74 laminated stock. Earliest I have owned is 28.

Reactions: 22many
#13 · (Edited)
Here's a 27-code front trunnion. Its the earliest I have seen. I have the other serialized parts that go with it, but no barrel components because the kit came with a Bulgy 105 barrel assembly. This is unfortunate because the parts I do have are different in many ways from the later production parts and it would have been interesting to look at the entire "27" parts set. Check out the odd little squiggle mark in front of the "AB". Its probably obvious from the picture, but there was never an Izhevsk stamp - nothing has been removed, struck over, or ground off.

Also worth noting there is no forging code on the top surface of the L trunnion shoulder - completely blank - which is something I haven't noticed before.

#14 · (Edited)
Here is my AKS-74 marked with a "30"
The trunnion is a Tula AKSU that was scrubbed and remarked. Would it be safe to say it was built on a Tula AKSU receiver? I wonder if any of the early 90's Bulgarian AKS-74's were built Bulgarian receivers or all Tula. Technology Electronic device Trigger Gun accessory

This one is not mine, marked with "31" It was also scrubbed and remarked, note the Tula style spot-weld on the received.

#17 ·
Thanks for the info Rob.

I know you posted a pic of a Bulgarian AKS-74 built on a Tula receiver.
Would you say a early 90's Tula style receiver would be appropriate for the build?
Not sure if Dave is making any with that style dimple and selector markings.
Bulgarian military AKS-74 pics seem to be pretty scarce.

#21 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.