AK Rifles banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

This normal for 1000 rounds of use?

7K views 73 replies 17 participants last post by  22many 
#1 ·
Does this look normal for a milled receiver Ak for wear since the carrier contacts the right side. The 2 pictures show the receiver, one is a close up of the side of the receiver and the other is the actual contact spot for the carrier. Probobly more like 1300 rounds. Thanks for looking I just have no experience with milled aks as this is my first.

Auto part

Machine tool Machine Metal

See less See more
#68 ·
Oh..haha. Well it does look like it. Alls I ever cared about is if the carrier was ever gonna make that metal chip off. But its normal says all. I have had WASR's that have had issues, where the carrier striked the front trunnion, after 800 rounds a huge piece chipped off the front trunnion, I sold it to someone that had the tools and the skills/experience to fix it. I have had horrible luck with guns in every aspect for whatever reason. For example, bought an eotech online, it was defective; wouldn't hold zero, sent it in to eotech 5 times, every time it came back SOMETHING was wrong. It was crappy. I have had WASR's where rivets would come loose, but I have had ones that have been great, so, I bought mr Sam7r to avoid any issues because of the reviews and what I read about the quality of the gun sounded like it is the bees knees, so with no experience with a milled receiver I start to see what looks like happened on my old WASR but we are talking completely different receivers and quality, so I am sure its fine since I have over a 1000 rounds through it but I hope everyone understands why I am so worrisome about the issue, paid a lot of money, something is happening I am not used to so I just didn't know.

#69 ·
This thread has kind of devolved into a pile-on. If you'd rather drop it that's fine.

Your pictures are blurry but it looks like steel is being moved and bulging out to the side of the receiver (?) I don't recall seeing that before, even on very well-worn, service-used milled AKs.

I asked about the dimple because that indicates that hardness testing was conducted on the receiver.

Anyway, we can drop it if you'd prefer.

#70 ·
The last picture I posted is very clear but the pic makes it look worse than it is. Ya its kind of pushing metal out ward just a little bit. It would be nice to see other Sam's with rounds through em for a better piece of mind but I don't think anyone wants to or they haven't put enough rounds through em. I would expect wear such as this, just have never been sure how strong the receiver is or what the hardness is like, is it hard enough to be strong and let the metal work harden or is it the hardness of where it peens and chips? Time will tell.

#72 ·
The last picture I posted is very clear but the pic makes it look worse than it is. Ya its kind of pushing metal out ward just a little bit. It would be nice to see other Sam's with rounds through em for a better piece of mind but I don't think anyone wants to or they haven't put enough rounds through em. I would expect wear such as this, just have never been sure how strong the receiver is or what the hardness is like, is it hard enough to be strong and let the metal work harden or is it the hardness of where it peens and chips? Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.