AK Rifles banner

Magpul AK pmags ?

4K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  tattooo 
#1 ·
Anyone running them and what are your thoughts ?

#9 ·
The ones that came with my aks when I bought them run great, maybe 500 rounds total run with the 3 I own... No problems. I do like my bakelites and Yugo bho mags better. Not sure I would buy them untill surplus mags get more expensive, but they are miles ahead of the tapco mags that came with a few of the aks. I smile a little when I see a magpul and not a tapco.

#14 ·
I did buy one for the hell of it (I always tell everyone to never by US mags ) and it worked good till I banged it on the table at the range, rear tab broke off like it was never there. DO NOT BUY MAGS with PLASTIC LUGS !

#15 ·
Boy, range tables. They sure don't make them like they use too! :grin:

In all seriousness, I would wait for the first run to be sold and see what the reviews are. AK PMAGS are a little picky as in not liking certain BHO followers. MAGPUL makes some good products but not in the AK mag area. I like TAPCO's waffle poly mags myself. Nice and heavy and you can custom fit the mag with emery cloth to fit your gun. Throw some WEAPONTECH BHO followers in them and your GTG.

Reactions: tattooo
#23 ·
TAPCO does make a stock 10 rd and you can find 10/30's on, might get jumped for this, Ebay. I was channel surfin' one night and I think I did see some 15/30's TAPCO riveted but can't think or find the site now. I had to find some AK PMAGs for a firearm that was mag sensitive and for poly and USA made there is no comparison. The TAPCO is a heavier mag.

Reactions: tattooo
#21 ·
I use 30rd steel surplus,bakelites,and Magpuls in my Arsenal slr107 and Yugo N-Pap and have had 0 failures.Can't tell any difference which mag is being cycled,function is 100%.S&G has a great deal on the steel surplus Hungarian mags-I bought 10 and they all look to be new.Very robust mags that please the eye for less than $15.

#26 ·
How much are y'all paying for the Pmags? I'm using the ones without steel reinforcements, and I'm paying $11 +sales tax. I've had no durability problems, or any problems of any other sort, but I'm not torture testing them either. I have had one slammed onto a table pretty hard while inserted, didn't leave a mark on the lug, but it left a ding on the wood picnic table.

Also, I thought the steel reinforced Pmags were out already? Guess I'll have to keep up better.

And what is it with some AK guys who just seem to hate everything remotely AK related but American made? I know from reading that American made AKs have been hit or miss, and it seems they've mostly been a miss... but I've seen people on the innerwebs screaming sacrilege, heresy, and blasphemy over American made slings, pouches, cases, mags, sights, and once even a huge rant over the evil of an American made trucker cap featuring an AK. I haven't seen it quite that bad here as of yet... but I've lurked some other forums that were downright scary.

#27 ·
Some people prefer original, it is what it is. Aside from that American companies have to make a profit and they are not catering to the military so "good enough" is often the name of the game. Where as those original parts, like the mags, we're made for the military and have withstood the test time. They have proven to be reliable today and 50 years later. So why would I want to pay $11 for P mags when $15 used and beaten surplus mags still work. Is it condition and the word "new"? That doesn't do anything for reliability. Other times the parts/accessories are just bad and not needed. It's like re inventing the wheel but starting with a triangle. Each accessory has to be scrutinized to see if it actually does anything and if it's built right. Like dust cover sights. The cover that doesn't stay in place is where you want to put a sight? Or the side rail mount that requires screws to stay in place! Screws!!! When taken off will you be able to tighten them back exectly the same?

There are some good US accessories out there but most cater to mall ninjas

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#32 ·
Some damn good explanations guys, thanks for clarifying that, makes a lot of sense to me.

I did also notice in this Mag subsection that there seem to be quite a few different collectible mags, such as the Fleur-di-lis and waffle mags. I'D NEVER HEARD OF THE FLEUR-DI-LIS MAG!!! I had to look up a picture of one to see what the hell everyone was talking about, and now I HAVE to get one!

Sorry for the noob questions. I am quite the noob to the AK. Handled a few in Iraq and Afghanistan, but never fired one until a few years ago when I shot a friend's converted Saiga. However, I'm not new to forums/chatrooms or to guns in general.

By the way, is there an intro section? Most forums I've been on, new guys were invited to introduce themselves and there was a separate section for that, but I haven't found one. I'm kinda feeling like an asshole here, jumping into conversations where no one knows a damn thing about me or my background.

Reactions: 22many and Arik
#36 ·
Magpul AK Pmags have been 100% functional with my Yugos and Arsenal slr107,no problems at all.I TRY to find the weaknesses in all my AKs,running them on Hungarian steel,Tula bakes,and the mentioned Pmags with a variety of mil-spec ammo.Better to discover and rectify any function issues at the range as opposed to SHTF time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.