AK Rifles banner

Keeping people up with prices....

11K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  gunz 
#1 ·
So, how about dynamically generated images generated every few hours every day that automatically update? Don't even need to send people clicking to find the best price, one image link and you're set for...well, until my site shuts down. Here are some examples (that will update forever automatically).

Comments, suggestions, complaints? Thanks.

See less See more
#4 ·
HI SALENITY said:
Who has the best price on a case of 5.45 ?
Before shipping, this image. After shipping, go to the site where the shipping is estimated. I was just looking for something quick to throw together to be a thread killer. Winter means new features. I don't program during the summer.

And I see I need to change the final cost to have the hundredths of a cent. ...and update done.

#6 ·
pawnman75 said:
Can you add 9mm and 45 acp?
It's all there, I was just showing off a selected number of calibers for the images. It's not completely ready for primetime yet.

But, to your question, the images:

(Need some formatting tweaks)

The source is http://gun-deals.com/ammo, you can get all the data and calibers there.

#8 ·
Morning Wood said:
Squeky is the kitco of ammo markets.

How about a realtime live ticker on my desktop.

Ya'know, if we could get the vendors noticing this, maybe we could get them jockeying for top slot. WIN.WIN.WIN!!!!!11111!!!!!!
You could plug an RSS feed into a desktop application :dance: Use a custom RSS feed on the site, set your maximum price to X cents/round and sit back and wait to be notified. Not a lot of people know about the cool features.

They definitely notice, a few of the big players submit their own deals now. One is even a fan of the site on Facebook :lol: If I can get these little images floating all over the web, they would reach a huge audience without having to set mouse on my site. It's win for the vendors who "get it", win for shoppers, and helps my virtual ego as well :wink:

#9 ·
And another image update to make everything cleaner and easier to see. If anyone wants to take these images in their own hands, they're available here: http://gun-deals.com/dailyPrices/ . Some of them are empty, most aren't. Anyone is free to hotlink them on any board or site on the web. Please spread them far and wide, the more competition, the better. Just don't save as and attach anywhere, keep the link pointing back to the site so they auto-update every hour.

#11 ·
As always, thanks to you guys. I've run every major renovation past this forum and have always gotten great response to motivate me further :dance: Now we just need to get the word out even more and get the vendors to really compete. I'm already #1 on Google for a lot of big phrases like "ammunition prices"--that works well to try to really prevent people from getting gouged. Forum users are more educated, it's somewhat like preaching to the choir here :lol:

#15 ·
Morning Wood said:
squeky said:
Just don't save as and attach anywhere, keep the link pointing back to the site so they auto-update every hour.
That's gonna cost you a fortune in bandwidth. I know the PNG's are small, but still if a ton of people link it... Who is hosting you?
I can serve up the images 37 million times per month on my current plan. I never worry about bandwidth with the site, I only worry about CPU utilization and related utilization. Serving up the images shouldn't slow the site down, it's just serving it up, not doing any kind of CPU-draining process. On a mid-level Hostgator reseller plan on a shared server.

#21 ·
Re:

squeky said:
Winter means new features. I don't program during the summer.
May I suggest some ideas for new features next winter?

Hands down the best part of your site is the Ammo deal tables.

Within the firearms section, could you possibly produce several tabulated results, similar to what you do with ammo? I would suggest the following categories of tables for complete AK firearms:

Chambering: 7.62x39, 5.45x39, 7.62x54R, ETC

Country of Origin: Romy, Bulgy, Russia (Saiga), ETC

And while I'm at it, the same thinking for AR rifles would be a mighty asset, and would drive all sorts of traffic to your site. Helpful categories for ARs would be:

Whole rifles by Chambering: .223, 5.56 NATO, 6.8SPC, .50BMG, etc, etc,

Complete uppers by chambering: (same as above)

Stripped Lowers: AR-15 pattern and AR-10 pattern

Lower Parts Kits

Optics: a whole section of its own, tracking prices of EOTech, Trijicon, Aimpoint, etc.

I guess the gist of my suggestion is tables are great for comparing, your ammo section is fantastic, could your Rifles section be made more like it next winter when you have the time?

(EDIT: trimmed nested quotes to make one concise quote)

#22 ·
Re: Re:

motopolitico said:
squeky said:
Winter means new features. I don't program during the summer.
May I suggest some ideas for new features next winter?

Hands down the best part of your site is the Ammo deal tables.

Within the firearms section, could you possibly produce several tabulated results, similar to what you do with ammo? I would suggest the following categories of tables for complete AK firearms:

Chambering: 7.62x39, 5.45x39, 7.62x54R, ETC

Country of Origin: Romy, Bulgy, Russia (Saiga), ETC

And while I'm at it, the same thinking for AR rifles would be a mighty asset, and would drive all sorts of traffic to your site. Helpful categories for ARs would be:

Whole rifles by Chambering: .223, 5.56 NATO, 6.8SPC, .50BMG, etc, etc,

Complete uppers by chambering: (same as above)

Stripped Lowers: AR-15 pattern and AR-10 pattern

Lower Parts Kits

Optics: a whole section of its own, tracking prices of EOTech, Trijicon, Aimpoint, etc.

I guess the gist of my suggestion is tables are great for comparing, your ammo section is fantastic, could your Rifles section be made more like it next winter when you have the time?

(EDIT: trimmed nested quotes to make one concise quote)
I like! I don't know exactly how I'd do such a thing, but I can give it a shot. I think the firearms sections do need work, maybe I'm trying to do too much with one site? In any case, I've copied your post and put it in my to-do list. Thanks again.

#23 ·
Gun-deals is the second thing i bring up after my email in the morning. KILLER site! The site is more than just an ammo price guide...I gives vendors a platform to compete. Just check out some of the prices on say....Gunbroker. Without this site i may not know that i am being ripped from here to China on a tin of ammo. Great site man!!! Keep it up. If guys on this forum don't take advantage of the site they are foolish. Hell...i got my grandfather checking it out at the ripe age of 76!
To all involved THANKS! And yes...i pass the word onto just about every gun owner i know. You should too. TB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.