AK Rifles banner

How to deal with the corrosive primer situation >>>

26K views 75 replies 48 participants last post by  COMM BLOC 
#1 ·
Fear not corrosive primers my friends.

My good friend Mike Venturino (gun magazine writer and father of BPCR) and I have a trick for dealing with the hassles and misery of shooting with BLACK POWDER (and cleaning up afterwards) and this corrosive combloc ammo is NOTHING compared to all black powder. This Russky (Yugo, whatever) stuff is smokeless powder with corrosive PRIMERS only. Here's the simple secret.....................

When you go out for a shooting session, bring about 5 or 10 rounds of regular noncorrosive ammo with you. That's it. In this case Wolf or it's equivalent. After your all done shooting, load up the non corrosive ammo and blast away. It will clean/burn out all the corrosive bad stuff (at least by 90% if not more) and allow you to sit your rifle /pistol in a corner and not clean up right away (or at all). The only place on the weapon I'd be worried about AT ALL might be, possibly, the gas tube because of some blow by. But trust me, this technique DOES WORK and is oh so simple. :cool:

TRUST ME............. :wink:

#9 ·
yup , corrosive primers is nothing compared to blackpowder !

E-rrosive priming had things like ground-glass in it as a frictionator . no 10,000 rd barrels shooting that .

there are several ways to deal with corrosive primed ammo , i'm all set up to boilout in the shed so , its quick and easy for me .

have to say the "fireing some non-corr" ammo first , just to fill in the cracks and crevases in a clean barrel prior to shooting some corrosive , dawned on me a long time ago too ... just make sure to get at those other places like the breachface/f-pin , the FSB and under the REAR SITE or you'll have an ugly suprize in a month .

i just dont have much corrosive ammo anymore .

:sad:

:sniff: maybe gonna havta go git some now :sniff:

#10 ·
Firing the non-corrosive "clean up ammo" afterwards is more important, more critical, than before hand. This is based on a LOT of experience too. Of course it's all been with Sharps, Rolling Blocks, Trapdoors, Winchesters and Colt SAA's. :neutral: Five rounds should do it, ten rds if you have a tendency to paranoia........... :wink:

My 2¢ :goof:

#12 ·
Re: How to deal with the corrosive primer situation >>

Tomovich said:
Fear not corrosive primers my friends.

My good friend Mike Venturino (gun magazine writer and father of BPCR) and I have a trick for dealing with the hassles and misery of shooting with BLACK POWDER (and cleaning up afterwards) and this corrosive combloc ammo is NOTHING compared to all black powder. This Russky (Yugo, whatever) stuff is smokeless powder with corrosive PRIMERS only. Here's the simple secret.....................

When you go out for a shooting session, bring about 5 or 10 rounds of regular noncorrosive ammo with you. That's it. In this case Wolf or it's equivalent. After your all done shooting, load up the non corrosive ammo and blast away. It will clean/burn out all the corrosive bad stuff (at least by 90% if not more) and allow you to sit your rifle /pistol in a corner and not clean up right away (or at all). The only place on the weapon I'd be worried about AT ALL might be, possibly, the gas tube because of some blow by. But trust me, this technique DOES WORK and is oh so simple. :cool:

TRUST ME............. :wink:
Wolf can Stamp NON-CORROSIVE on their current production ammo ALL They Want. Don't believe for 1 Min it is not somewhat Corrosive because it is.

Case in point a friend I meet up with several times a year at The Camden,TN MG Shoot had a New RPD Postie. Kit came from a New Hungarian weapon and was Mint. After going through more than a case of Wolf on Sat. I asked him if he wanted some of my Buffalo Snot Black Powder Solvent to slop down the bore and coat the Gas Tube Regulator and Piston with until he got back to the motel after we grabbed some dinner. Nope he said I was shooting NC Wolf. Ok but I always do. Sun he shot a bit more than another case and as we were packing for the trip home I asked again want some BP Snot Solvent until you can clean at home? Nope told ya I was shooting NC Wolf. Nuff said cause he's sure...

He calls me 3 weeks later "Hey man my bore is almost black and I have corrosion in my Gas Regulator and at the end of my Piston" Gee I don't oops.

Don't believe all you read on the boxes of Wolf Ammo. Just trying to save a few weapons from the Corrmadifites.

#13 ·
I don't have any wolf in my shop. My 7.62 stash is all Barnaul and I've fired it in Polskis, Romy's, Yugo's, etc. and left them sit for MONTHS and nothing. Maybe Wolf is not the best choice then???

Bottom line..............my theory is sound. :neutral:

#14 ·
JOHNO said:
Keep this stuff up and we'll be hanging an "AK Forum Technical Advisor" tag on you. :wink:
Just remember (and I'm sure you've seen this), anybody with a computer and a modem can be a "technical advisor". :roll: As a matter of fact that's why I don't go to the SASS forum any longer, and they are most of my customers!!!!!!!

#15 ·
I have nothing against shooting Corrosive Ammo infact 90% of all the Belt Fed Ammo I shoot is corrosive. I referred to the Black Powder Solvent as Buffalo Snot as I could not remember the name correctly. It is Big Medicine Buffalo Milk Bore Cleaner And Patch Lube. The company that used to make it is in Butler, PA about 40 Mi. north of me here in White Oak. I called the company last year to get some more and was informed they had quit making it as it did not sell and was formulated by their Head Chemist who shoots BP as kind of a joke. The stuff is great for use as I described in the above post and would like to get something that works as good if anyone here knows of a product.

#16 ·
All Wolf is non corrosive... but...

The problem is when you get Russian military surplus stuff in white boxes marked "for hunting use" that stores sell as "Wolf" because it is in commercially marked boxes. A gun store I visited a year ago had Russian HP that was corrosive and he was selling it as Wolf. "Made to hunting specifications".

I shot my Polytech with Wolf and waited a few months, then cleaned it. No pitting or corrosion anywhere- the bad thing is that Wolf is DIRTY. The bore will be dark grey. There is powder residue still stuck in the sides of the groves, I need to get a bore brush to move it. And no, it is not rust or pitting or corrosion, it is black gunk carbon residue.

BUT, question:

So lets say I shoot 1,000 rounds of Yugo surplus thru my Polytech. Then I fire 30 rounds of non-corrosive Wolf (or Remington or whatever). I will NOT need to clean my gun AT ALL and it will NOT rust? The salts will be burned out?

I had an idea before of loading rounds that had some ammonia compound mixed in with the powder to fire after shooting corrosive. The ammonia would stop the corrosive salts... but ammonia also have a corrosive reaction with metal. Not major, but it does. Plus, I wouldn't know how to mix ammonia with powder... wouldn't work I don't think.

This is EXCELLENT information! Thank you!

#17 ·
Let's say you sit down and REALLY shoot 1000 rds of corrosive primed ammo in your AK. Simply shooting FIVE rounds of truly NON corrosive ammo WILL "take care" of your barrel, gas port and PROBABLY the front of the piston. HOWEVER..........due to the LARGE amount of ammo you've just fired (1000 rds) there will have been MUCH blow by. Blow by in the gas tube (therefore onto the bolt carrier front), in the chamber and therefore into the bolt face, exractor and firing pin hole (maybe even into the receiver). So five (even ten) rounds won't clean all that out. It may give you a week to be lazy but you certainly under those conditions NEED to clean your weapon. It's basically a common sense, think about it a little, type thing here................... :wink:

P.S. Don't mix ammonia ANYTHING into your reloaded ammo's powder. :confused: :cool:

#18 ·
Tomovich said:
Let's say you sit down and REALLY shoot 1000 rds of corrosive primed ammo in your AK. Simply shooting FIVE rounds of truly NON corrosive ammo WILL "take care" of your barrel, gas port and PROBABLY the front of the piston. HOWEVER..........due to the LARGE amount of ammo you've just fired (1000 rds) there will have been MUCH blow by. Blow by in the gas tube (therefore onto the bolt carrier front), in the chamber and therefore into the bolt face, exractor and firing pin hole (maybe even into the receiver). So five (even ten) rounds won't clean all that out. It may give you a week to be lazy but you certainly under those conditions NEED to clean your weapon. It's basically a common sense, think about it a little, type thing here................... :wink:

P.S. Don't mix ammonia ANYTHING into your reloaded ammo's powder. :confused: :cool:
Yeah I know on the last part, it was a dumb idea, it would have been cool if it worked...

How many rounds can I realistically fire of corrosive, that can be neutralized by some NC?

Also, if I did fire that large quantity of ammo, would I be able to solve it by soaking the carrier/piston/bolt in hot soapy water then washing off with hot water and oiling? Or would the rails need that too? Soaking, washing and oiling the piston, carrier, bolt is one thing, totally taking the gun apart and washing and cleaning everything inside the reciever and all is another.

#19 ·
Q-gunner2 said:
Tomovich said:

Yeah I know on the last part, it was a dumb idea, it would have been cool if it worked...
GOOD :smile:

[quote:1cyksp29]How many rounds can I realistically fire of corrosive, that can be neutralized by some NC?
Nothing is set in granite here........like I said, it allows you to be pretty lazy for a week or so. Climate contribute also, more humid = more danger. More arid = safer.

Also, if I did fire that large quantity of ammo, would I be able to solve it by soaking the carrier/piston/bolt in hot soapy water then washing off with hot water and oiling? Or would the rails need that too?
[/quote:1cyksp29]

YES, that would work! Wiping the rails with some gun oil on a cleaning patch should suffice.

#20 ·
The reason I ask is that I have read of things like removing the wood, soaking the whole gun in soapy water, washing with hot water, oiling, reassembling... that is a TON of work... I do it for my BP but that is basically a tube and a simple lock in a stock... easy to do...

So fire 1K rounds corrosive, fire 20 rounds non corrosive (I know you said 5 works, I am just paranoid, like you said), then soak carrier, piston and bolt in soapy water than wash off and oil. Wipe rails off with lubricating/protectant oil. And then my AK is safe?

#22 ·
Tomovich said:
JOHNO said:
Keep this stuff up and we'll be hanging an "AK Forum Technical Advisor" tag on you. :wink:
Just remember (and I'm sure you've seen this), anybody with a computer and a modem can be a "technical advisor". :roll: As a matter of fact that's why I don't go to the SASS forum any longer, and they are most of my customers!!!!!!!
It don't work that way here,if you see someone with the title of "AK Forum Technical Advisor",that Person is a great asset to the site and has earned the title over a period of time.

BTW,Congradulations! :grin:

#26 ·
I shoot a crapload of corrosive blanks in SMLE's. The last big outing it rained like the bejeezus. I used a mix of ballistol and water, and it kept me rust-free. The consistency is something like that Buffalo Snot :wink:

It kinda curdles.. Not pretty, but it worked. I essentially just ran a pullthrough 3 times a day for 3 days, shot 100 or so rounds overall. They're neat, 1944 New Zealand grenade launching blanks. Got them in sealed crates. They're absolutely filthy though, and the crud just sits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.