AK Rifles banner

Current commercial 5.45 shoot out/test

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  ak737 
#1 ·
With the re-appearance of Golden Tiger 5.45. I snagged an assortment of ammo from SGAMMO to see the differences between them all.

So I gathered some Manarch sourced from Academy to throw in the test as well.

All share the same bullet profile except one. The one on he left is Tula, vs the GT, Hornady and Barnaul bullets

Ran out of time to do an accuracy test (but I think I know how that will turn out..... So I will try to get that done next weekend)

Shooting at ~6000' and 50 degrees. Chrono at ~10' away from muzzle Vepr 16"

Monarch (Barnaul):

Wolf Laquerd & Sealed (Barnaul):

Wolf Poly (Barnaul):

Silver Bear (Barnaul):

Tula:

Hornady:

New GT:

Conclusion: 1) Barnaul commercial ammo is all about the same velocity wise
2) Hornady is the most inconsistant and not worth the $$$ unless you need that bullet
3) New GT is the hottest of the current commercial ammo offerings
4) Tula the slowest (but with a very different bullet)

Accuracy Test next week.

See less See more
#2 ·
Cool. Good of you to take the time to do this and post. I really want some of the new GT ammo, but I'd have to trade a tin of 7N6 and that means local.
Seen your post on the Files about the 20rd box of Wolf 60gr. I don't have. Did those also come in the cube boxes?

#5 ·
Good info. I am also running chrony tests. will post when I get done. I'm using 3 different rifles with 3 different barrels. A Waffenwerks with a us chrome lined barrel,aCentury with a chrome moly barrel,and a SAR2 with a European chrome lined barrel. should be interesting to compare them.

#6 ·
I am amazed at the results for Hornady. Was considering that for saving "precious" steel targets at run and guns I compete in.

#8 ·
Something I noticed about the velocities,unless it was a Thursday,with a full moon,and the planets were in alignment,the Silver Bear was remarkably consistent with an extreme spread of only 12fps. That is match grade accuracy. When you shoot for accuracy re chrony the Silver Bear and see if you get the same velocity spread.

#9 ·
I was planning on doing that. I thought it was odd to get 3 same velocities in a row.

I may bring a DDI kit build rifle w/ one of their melonited barrels to do velocity checks on that rifle as well just to have a US barrel in the mix

#11 ·
This took much longer to follow up on than planned... went out of town a few weekends in a row. This was meant to be a 100yard test. But, its raining here today so I only walked out to the 25 yard targets. I confirmed aim on the 300 yard steel silhouette with each ammo after the 25 yard groups and all were easy hits.

Rifle zeroed w/ Monarch as I have a ton of it. The Monarch grouping may have been rushed, Im sure I could tightening up that group.

5 shot groups, pretty much right after one another, so barrel became progressively warmer by the last group.
My Vepr seems to like Wolf Laquered and GT the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.