AK Rifles banner

Wolf vs Surplus

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  the.cheese 
#1 ·
#3 ·
What he said ^ but I'll add that I'd rather go with surplus overall. Wolf is typically underpowered. A former member here posted his findings here some time ago. I believe wolf clocked in around 2400fps! That's 7.62x39 speed. 5.45 should be around 3000fps.

In media it mainly just poked holes

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
You'll also want to factor in that the surplus 7N6 is.......at the moment......limited supply. It's always risky banking on the future, but the commercial offerings (at the moment) are a steady stream. The surplus is corrosive and the Wolf is not. I've seen more and more people wanting the Golden Tiger over the 7N6 for their own reasons. Whether or not the corrosive vs non-corrosive would be the ultimate determining factor there.....I wouldn't know. Most will state that it's down range performance. Many will also prefer the lacquer coated over the poly in the commercial ammo. I don't run compatibility tests........I just shoot. After all......that's what ammo is for. All I have to do is perforate a 9" paper plate at 100yds off hand and have zero malfunctions in the rifle itself. I'm not shooting for dime size groups or at golf balls. As far as the math is concerned and the average price of ammo, I'll still round up and say I'm getting four shots per dollar no matter if the real cost is 22¢ per round or 25¢ per round. Think about that fully loaded 30 round mag as $7 per minute in range fees. LOL! We're not shooting 22LR here at 6¢ a pop.
Anyways.......you can still find 1080rd tins of 7N6 for $200....$220.....$225 when it doesn't involve shipping. Don't forget to add to the bottom line for travel expenses to get hands on. Likewise, add in shipping costs for either the surplus or commercial ammo if you can't pick up in person. The ammo won't come with one of those efficiency rating stickers like a refrigerator or water heater telling you how much you'll save in a year's time, but for the difference of 3¢ per round, the average savings comes close to a dollar per 30 round mag and reduces your range fees to $6 per minute. Not everyone is going to shoot like I do. Some may dilly dally around and stretch those dollars. I just don't like to think about partially loaded magazines. They're either fully loaded or empty. :)

#14 ·
I'm not sure if you are being pro or anti surplus :p
Neither pro nor anti surplus. That's why you're not sure. LOL! I'm not biased in any way. Like I say.........if it shoots.....I'm happy. If it shoots and costs less.....even happier. If you're on the terminal performance bus then you're actually thinking in terms of cost and the magic bullet theory.............that's why you have a 30rd mag........a .30 cal.........and you keep on shooting until you're done.

#13 ·
It is when shot at things other than paper. If your only interested in punching holes in paper then it doesn't matter. However as a self defense round 7N6 actually does make a difference. Most others just leave a little 5.45 hole as they zip by. 7N6 actually tumbles and leaves quite a nice size wound cavity. The only other one that acts similar is Hornady 5.45

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Personally, I keep a stash of 7N6 for...reasons. And use Wolf/Golden Tiger/Monarch/whatever is cheap and available for range use. As mentioned above, there is zero performance difference at the range, and if you're shooting steel targets 7N6 is a great way to piss people off. Plus immediately after shooting you have to do the cleanup dance and appease the Gods of Corrosion.

7N6 was great defensive and plinking ammo when it was < $100 a spam can. Now it's just great defensive ammo. Stick with commercial stuff for plinking, IMHO. But...every red-blooded AK74 owner should also have some 7N6 tucked away as well.

#17 ·
i took the bait with sarges and i got what i ordered. didnt get screwed. WOO

at that price, i will probably just buy surplus for now. i did find some lacquered wolf on sale for about 1 cent cheaper per round but i like the aesthetics of the military tin and wrappings. so ill just stick with that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.