AK Rifles banner

Soviet Subsonic 7.62mm ammo

18K views 39 replies 24 participants last post by  dixy2k 
#1 ·
Soviet subsonic 7.62mm ammo....

AD 1

See less See more
#4 ·
Yes, it is corrosive primed, just like all other Soviet era 7.62x39mm. The silencers were designed to be easily cleaned, for several reasons I'm sure. This "type US" subsonic ammunition has a very long, 192gr. projectile with a lead core topped by a cone shaped, hardened steel penetrator. It sorta looks like an SS-109 on steriods when you compare sectioned examples.

AKMS

#39 ·
Just found this and it possibly confirms my theory about Berdan primed ammo. Even though the box says “non-corrosive” that doesn’t mean the primer powder is not corrosive and adds some fact to something I’ve been telling people for years. It doesn’t mean that it’s as bad as 7N6 but will start rust in less than 24 hours under certain environmental conditions. I had non-corrosive ammo cause rust in the gas tube on a brand new Vepr in less than 1 day and I had quite a few people look at me like an idiot when I warned them about immediately cleaning.

Reactions: JoeMomma
#5 ·
AKMS said:
Yes, it is corrosive primed, just like all other Soviet era 7.62x39mm. The silencers were designed to be easily cleaned, for several reasons I'm sure. This "type US" subsonic ammunition has a very long, 192gr. projectile with a lead core topped by a cone shaped, hardened steel penetrator. It sorta looks like an SS-109 on steriods when you compare sectioned examples.

AKMS
Interesting. I guess it makes more logistical sense since they can use the same primers.

#8 ·
A real PBS is very easy totake apart and clean, so this was no big deal... you can clean with rifle cleaning rod, patches and oil.

#11 ·
I found the Russian ammo data books. The subsonic 7.62x39 ammo has a 12.5 gram bullet. The bullet diameter is larger for "better gas seal". It's 7.94 mm in diameter vs 7.92 mm for standard 7.62x39 ammo. One book says the bullet is armor piercing with a lead "sheath" over the steel core and of course a jacket. This book states a powder charge of 0.75 grams. The other book may have more mistakes. It shows bullet weight at the same 12.50 grams but list a lead core and a powder charge of 0.57 grams (misprint?). The first book has more details and I think it might be correct. It explains the larger bullet diameter and armor piercing steel core.

#12 ·
The velocity is stated as 293 m/s to 310 m/s in an AKM. The bullet diagram drawing shows a small (short) sharp steel core tip with a large lead core behind it. it also states the same diameter as standard 7.62x39 ball ammo at 7.87 mm to 7.92 mm, but this is the second book which I think also misprinted the powder charge. Case length is 38.36 mm to 38.70 mm. The cartridge length is 55.4 mm to 56.0 mm.

#18 ·
Were those Russian supressors of the type with wipes that had to be replaced after a very small amount of rounds thru it, maybe eight or ten rounds ?

#20 ·
CumbiaDude:

I am pretty sure that pic is not of a PBS-1. Not sure what it is though

#21 ·
CumbiaDude said:
omega88 said:
Were those Russian supressors of the type with wipes that had to be replaced after a very small amount of rounds thru it, maybe eight or ten rounds ?
Yup. Here's a pic. Looking for the hi-res version:

Different pix on Doug's site: :mrgreen:

http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/parts5.html
Thats not a PBS1. Might be some modern, post Soviet version.

The Soviet PBS1 does not have the conical baffles. It also uses a large rubber "wipe" as the first thing the bullet passes through. These were dispossible, good for a couple magazines, and were included with the subsonic ammo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.