AK Rifles banner

2011 Guns and Ammo "HORNADY VS. 7N6"

13K views 23 replies 17 participants last post by  Michaelkih 
#1 · (Edited)
this is an excerpt from the Outdoor media "the complete book of the AK 47"

took about 6 months to complete

here it is and finally complete! click on the link to download the PDF file. IF anyone knows how to convert this into image file, so all you have to do is insert it as an image, please let me know, thanks

enjoy!

http://www.theakforum.net/files/HANS-110022-HOR.pdf

and this is some tests of the same round @ 70 yards through various materials

http://www.theakforum.net/forums/64...118535-some-5-45x39-terminal-preformance.html

Reactions: beanz2
#7 ·
Re: Hornady 5.45x39 Load- YEY or NAY?

Wingnut- thanks for the heads up on the date!
i edited it......not in 2011 quite yet.... :doh:

#8 ·

Nice work, thanks for the info. How about trying it with a scope? Im working on a semi-wildcat. I have one of the early CIA Tantals with a measured bore of .224. It also has a tight chamber. Im getting a reamer made which will allow me to use the .224 long match bullets. The twist is 1 in 7.7 inches. I spoke to a Hornady rep and he said they will probably bring out brass cases. Hopefully match bullets will be made also.

#10 ·

ironhead7544 said:
Nice work, thanks for the info. How about trying it with a scope? Im working on a semi-wildcat. I have one of the early CIA Tantals with a measured bore of .224. It also has a tight chamber. Im getting a reamer made which will allow me to use the .224 long match bullets. The twist is 1 in 7.7 inches. I spoke to a Hornady rep and he said they will probably bring out brass cases. Hopefully match bullets will be made also.
i a terrible scope shooter. I dont even own a regular scope. a few Russian red dots.....
but maybe I should just for shits and giggles. 2 inch group with open sights is good enough for me.
Good luck with getting a good reamer, they are hard to come by in odd calibers. You say that Hornady will make brass cases? :twirl: kickass. cant wait. then we can really crank out some serious hand loads for that caliber....good to hear

SwannyJ- that is a Krebs mount with a custom job. rear trunnion is welded/modified and front is secured with another weld to the RSB.
the top rail is fully removable but the rear trunnion is permanently modified to maintain solid platform.
Marc Krebs does amazing work......... :animak: :beer:

#11 ·

I just received 100 rounds of this stuff and am looking forward to seeing how it works on jack rabbits.

#13 ·

Thanks for the excellent report, Voron. I think a lot of us were waiting for just such a write up on the new Hornady round. Just a couple questions for you; Did the Hornady have a noticeable change in POI over the 7N6? For example, when I use Wolf and then switch to 7N6, I notice that it prints 3-4" higher at 100 yards. Were you able to keep the same elevation sight setting for both loads?

Thanks!

#14 ·

AJPK-

no, i did not see the POI shift between the two loads. I understand your question. Silver bear, Wolf HP or Wolf MC in 20 cal all have different POI compared to 7N6, about 1.3 inches lower.
Hornady's new load had ZERO changes when tests were conducted. just take a look at the powder.....hehe. :confused:

#15 ·

I've got a few hundred rds on the way. Should arrive exactly when I'm stuck on the east coast for two weeks. Looking forward to not only NON corrosive priming, but hopefully a tad more accurate ammo.

My S&W upper averages 2" for 5 at 100 yds with 7N6...though the occasional lousy round will open groups up 2-3 times that much. Chrono'd rds once with one rd 450 fps SLOWER than the rest. THAT one was my 4" flyer.

Good report OP.

FN in MT

#17 ·

i am very fortunate to have friends like David. guys, check out Shotgun New Volume 64, issue 30 Nov 2010.

gunwriter is the man!

#18 ·
Re: Hornady5.45x39 Load- YEY or NAY? --->UPDATED

voron said:
new date...march 15th

I just spoke with the publisher, book of the AK#3 will hit your shelves in exactly 10 days. as soon as thats out, the article will be up here as well.

guys, i conducted more tests and awaiting publication in the next book of the AK.

as soon as it edited and done i will post it (probably a week or so)

we found some new interesting results and decided to take the old write up down until the new one is complete.

spoiler: loads head to head past 500 yards. guess who won? :eek:
Surplus 7N6? :)

#22 ·
Re: Hornady5.45x39 Load- YEY or NAY? --->UPDATED

firebear545 said:
Has anyone found it to be considerable more accurate than other ammo?
I've only had one chance to shoot my frankentantal at 200 yards. When I did, the Hornady was making half the group that my Russian 7n6 was; about 4-5" compared to 8-10"

The Hornady (There's ten shots in there)

The russian surplus (ten or twelve here I think)

The Frankentantal :grin:

I need to try my other monster build, and see how it does...

PS Notice those 5 or so shots in the shadow of my friend's hand on the second target pic?
... 54R :twisted:

#23 ·
dang, 10-12 inch groups supported with a scope?

well i was using a shorter barrel when conducting my tests...when i did bench the rifle with a magnified optic using both types of ammo i was able to break 1 MOA @ 100 meters.

my last HiPower match on saturday on rapid prone I was able to place 11 shots in the 10 ring, and 2 were out in the 7.

this is the typical spread of the 7N6.

in the end its actually (not) MORE accurate then Hornady, but you get the FREAKING FLIERS!!!!!

hornady is more consistant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.