More Re-Barreling Questions ?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

More Re-Barreling Questions ?

I have been reading threads and asking questions related to re-Barreling AK's either with virgin US or Romy Barrels, and "Take Off Barrels. Knowing there will come a time when surplus barrels dry up, I want to learn, tool up and practice on scrap before the time comes for me to begin breaking off drill in gas port holes and sight blocks for real and not just vicariously. My question is simple, what is easier installing a "Take Off" Barrel that has the Barrel Pin Notch already cut, and drilling an oversize hole after headspacing to its new trunnion, or drilling a 7mm notch in a "Virgin" barrel ? It seems that USA barrels that have gas hole drilled and have already been notched for all pins north of the chamber, are just as plentiful as Romy "Take Offs". The "Chrome Lined, Non-Chrome lined debate aside, which direction should I go, while getting my feet wet in Re-Barreling ?

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    2098 times
    In my experience (several take-off builds vs one virgin) he take off is much easier. In most cases for components a reanmer and original pins. Keep in mind that Yugo vs other euro have different sized component pins. I have not seen any US barrels that are drilled for component and barrel pins. Only with front threads, extractor cut, handguard retainer and that is about it AFAIK.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    2098 times
    On a rebarrel with a pulled donor barrel I have had to do very little drilling as a reamer is 90% of the fit in most cases. Including an oversize barrel pin unless the pin channel or headspace requires more that .003 oversize. Even then the existing hole serves as a good pilot anfn ream to final size. The larger Romy and Hungarian pins are easier to work with than the Yugo. 100" component pins.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    So just so I am clear, if I were re-barreling my AK with a donor / take off barrel, once it was headspaced, I drill a new hole trough the old trunnion hole with a drill that is a 7.20mm, and pin with the same diameter?

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Re: More Re-Barreling Questions ?

Quote Originally Posted by Loyal11475
    I have been reading threads and asking questions related to re-Barreling AK's either with virgin US or Romy Barrels, and "Take Off Barrels. Knowing there will come a time when surplus barrels dry up, I want to learn, tool up and practice on scrap before the time comes for me to begin breaking off drill in gas port holes and sight blocks for real and not just vicariously. My question is simple, what is easier installing a "Take Off" Barrel that has the Barrel Pin Notch already cut, and drilling an oversize hole after headspacing to its new trunnion, or drilling a 7mm notch in a "Virgin" barrel ? It seems that USA barrels that have gas hole drilled and have already been notched for all pins north of the chamber, are just as plentiful as Romy "Take Offs". The "Chrome Lined, Non-Chrome lined debate aside, which direction should I go, while getting my feet wet in Re-Barreling ?
    I don't know where you've found US barrels that have all the pin grooves as well as the gas hole already drilled. I've never seen or heard of one.

As far as the question about the 7.20 mm hole goes, that will depend on how far you have to move the barrel to get it to headspace. I would try for a standard size that will give you a 100% round hole like 9/32(.281)
    or whatever it needs to be.
    “After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it.”

—William S. Burroughs

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Virgin Barrel on Gunbroker # 150478362, is good example of a USA barrel that I have noticed listed with some regularity, not through any manufacturer. Sorry I was not clear on that. Unless I am misunderstanding the listing it looks prepared from north to south to me. Maybe I am wrong? This has happened before, I would say Summer of 92' but don't quote me. Thanks for tips on drilling, so if I went with a standard size 9/32 drill, what do I do about the barrel pin? Cut a shank off another 9/32 drill bit and use that as a pin? I am learning, so bear with me, while I crawl blindly through the mudd...... [/quote]

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    2098 times
    That barrel does have the gas port, retainer slots and extractor relief and threads. Barrel pin location is drilled. Not chrome lined. That is a negative IMHO. Price is considerably more than a pulled Romy. But whatever works for you.
    I use .281" hardened drill rod and a .280" reamer to run into a predrilled Romy (.278) as long as the channel and barel channel will mate and headspace allows full barrel/trunnion channel contact in the channel.

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Ok, that seems easy enougf to accomplish without falling all over myself. Thanks for the advice !

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    One more question, should the reamer be a HSS, Cobalt or Carbide for this application?

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    2098 times
    I us HSS with no problem. They are all kinda pricey though.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBLUE
    That barrel does have the gas port, retainer slots and extractor relief and threads. Barrel pin location is drilled. Not chrome lined. That is a negative IMHO. Price is considerably more than a pulled Romy. But whatever works for you.
    I use .281" hardened drill rod and a .280" reamer to run into a predrilled Romy (.278) as long as the channel and barel channel will mate and headspace allows full barrel/trunnion channel contact in the channel.

It does not have any of the pin grooves, including the barrel pin groove, which IMO is a good thing. I would just get a used Romy.

16.25 INCH NEW CHROME VANDIUM AK-47 BARREL -EXTRACTOR CUT,FRONT HAND GUARD NOTCHES CUT-8 TO 8.25 INCHES FROM FRONT OF BARREL,GAS HOLE DRILLED FOR A ROMANIAN-GAS HOLE DRILLED AT 4 AND 5/8 OF AN INCH FROM FRONT END OF BARREL--FITS 23MM TRUNION(STANDARD)-THREADED STANDARD LEFT HAND THREAD FOR MUZZLE BREAK STEPS IN BARREL ARE AT 4 + 1/8 NEXT IS AT 7+7/8(HAND GUARD CUT OUT)NEXT IS AT 13 INCHES FOR SITE BLOCK(BARREL PIN NOT CUT) OLD TIME US MAKER--NOTE: PIC,S MAY SHOW SOME TARNESHING NOTHING THAT WONT COME RIGHT off[/b]
    “After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it.”

—William S. Burroughs

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    2098 times
    Quote Originally Posted by loner42
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBLUE

It does not have any of the pin grooves, including the barrel pin groove, which IMO is a good thing. I would just get a used Romy.

16.25 INCH NEW CHROME VANDIUM AK-47 BARREL -EXTRACTOR CUT,FRONT HAND GUARD NOTCHES CUT-8 TO 8.25 INCHES FROM FRONT OF BARREL,GAS HOLE DRILLED FOR A ROMANIAN-GAS HOLE DRILLED AT 4 AND 5/8 OF AN INCH FROM FRONT END OF BARREL--FITS 23MM TRUNION(STANDARD)-THREADED STANDARD LEFT HAND THREAD FOR MUZZLE BREAK STEPS IN BARREL ARE AT 4 + 1/8 NEXT IS AT 7+7/8(HAND GUARD CUT OUT)NEXT IS AT 13 INCHES FOR SITE BLOCK(BARREL PIN NOT CUT) OLD TIME US MAKER--NOTE: PIC,S MAY SHOW SOME TARNESHING NOTHING THAT WONT COME RIGHT off[/b]
    No big deal but the 3rd & 4th pic show a drilled barrel pin channel.., dunno what exactly it has driiled in all.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Like you said no biggie,but what you're looking at in 3&4 is the lower handguard retainer channel.

It would be utterly stupid for a barrel maker to cut the barrel pin channel, RSB, GB, and FSB pin channels in a new ,never installed barrel because of the variations in the tolerances of each component.

—William S. Burroughs

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    2098 times
    Quote Originally Posted by loner42
    Like you said no biggie,but what you're looking at in 3&4 is the lower handguard retainer channel.

It would be utterly stupid for a barrel maker to cut the barrel pin channel, RSB, GB, and FSB pin channels in a new ,never installed barrel because of the variations in the tolerances of each component.
    Doh., you are right. Just glanced and assumed. I agree that predrilled US barrels are senseless and not likely to appear. :lol:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors