Galil Night Sights
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By JeepFan

Thread: Galil Night Sights

Member #
    Liked
    53 times

Galil Night Sights

Any good write ups on replacing the vials on the Galil night sights? Did a search and didn't see anything here in the forum.

Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    Check youtube. I changed them on my M70 by watching a video and you can get vials of different sizes from a guy in Singapore. Not sure how the Galil are accessed. Google tritium vials for sale for source.

Member #
    Liked
    53 times
    Quote Originally Posted by trevorakm View Post
    Check youtube. I changed them on my M70 by watching a video and you can get vials of different sizes from a guy in Singapore. Not sure how the Galil are accessed. Google tritium vials for sale for source.
    Will check out the vids...thanks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    275 times
    I just did mine for my SAR and AR kit. I have been wanting to share this project so here is a general overview.

I got the tritium here T1 1.5x6mm Vials. Make sure you get the 1.5x6mm ones. I got the green as they are the brightest but they have several other colors. You'll need 3 at $6 each. They ship from Taiwan and it takes about two weeks.

While your waiting it's a good time to remove and clean out the old tritium. For that I used a razor blade, very tiny drill bits and a dental pick. Remove the epoxy on top of the front sight and bottom of the rear sight holding the vials in. Then secure the drill bit in some vise grips for leverage. You basically hand drilling the old ones out. You are not drilling new holes just reaming out what is there. It won't hurt to start with a smaller bit then working your way up. You will break the vials and get glass and powder spilling out so doing it over a plastic cup or plate which can be thrown away is a good idea along with wearing latex gloves and not trying to eat any of it.

On the rear sight there is a clear epoxy lens. Use your tools to pick and scrape that out. Using padded vise gripes etc works well to hold the sights while drilling and cleaning. Clean all the holes with pipe cleaners, q-tips and denatured alcohol. They will look like the pic below. On the left is a cleaned out set, right is un-cleaned and bottom is the vials.

After I received my vials and before I did any refinishing I carefully checked fitment. First using the drill bit for depth then with tweezers and the new vial. I don't know how strong the glass is so be very carful not to squeeze them to tight or drop them.

Next, since I'm going to finish both of my Galils in an epoxy paint I painted the sights with several light coats and baked them. Here is where you apply the finish of your choice.

Now on to securing the vials. Make sure the insertion holes are clear and the same with the viewing holes especially on the rear sight. Insert the vials carefully and make sure they are below flush. On the top of the front sight and bottom of the rear I used a dab of 2 part epoxy bedding compound dyed black, but JB weld would also work.

For a protective clear lens I raided my wife's craft room and found this Amazing Clear Cast Resin Kit | Hobby Lobby | 252742. It's way more than you need but it was on hand so I used it. I'm sure any clear epoxy would work.

I mixed it according to the instructions and used a dental pick to apply it. It has a long working time so I just added bit by bit until it sat flush. I applied it to both the front and rear. Here is the finished result, it's not a great picture as my shop lights make the metal seem way more glossy and don't show just how clear the lenses are.

Here is a lowlight picture of them.

I think they turned out well. Several companies offer complete sets of "new" night sights but keep in mind they are from around 2008 and about $80. These are as bright if not brighter than my newish night sights on my daily carry. You may wonder why the rear sight seems dim compared to the front but if you think about the sight picture as it relates to positioning from your eyes, it makes sense. Next in line is refreshing some Yugo night sights.

I hope this helps and please ask away if you have any questions.
    Last edited by JeepFan; 05-21-2017 at 07:28 AM. Reason: clarity
    Kansrustbuzzard and Tower06 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    that's where i got my vials

Sponsors