Turning down barrel without lathe
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Turning down barrel without lathe

Member #
    Liked
    167 times

Turning down barrel without lathe

I need to chop an RPK barrel and turn down the end for either an M76 or -74 FSB. Rather then send it off, I'd like to do it in the shop.

I was wondering if I could use a rotary table in the mill. Do some rotary tables allow you to run the barrel from the backside so that I can only have the 1.5" or so FSB journal unsupported? I was thinking I could manually rotate the table under an end mill.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Metric annular cutter?

Member #
    Liked
    330 times
    Probably a Frankenstein setup, but hang the rotary table over the table edge so the barrel goes through the center and hangs off the mill table. Then get the barrel through the center and clamped in a v-block with the v-block clamped to the rotary. Swing mill turret and extend ram to reach. Not pretty, but you could do it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2104 times
    with metal on metal speed setting and tight hold of part is vital. youre gonna have broken endmill flute shards hitting you in face maybe worse id imagine. parts get flung pretty far sometimes even in a Bridgeport mill if your not watching everything carefully. is the bore chrome lined? some worn metal or chrome is what they call work hardened or just harder to start with too. ive not seen your exact set up before you go to cut but you might be better off to eyeball and dermal out the rifling lands and use 2 sizes of center drill then cut the end off and file by hand flush. that will give you the required crown and allow the crown to be centered.

sounds crazy but thinking outside the box works sometimes. im thinking this is a Philippine jungle workshop method using a hand drill and self centering using a center drill but hey if that's all ya got it might work.
    DISCLAIMER; I live in a murderous world imploding over other folks secret agendas. in doing so im told to pretend to act ''normal'' like everyone else and hide under a rock and make normal sheep noises. kinda like a sheep watching its family being led into an automated meat grinder. think about the other sheep saying don't draw attention to yourself they might target you next. F*#K THAT! stand up and make a last stand for humanity! Robbie f*#king parker were live! WAKE THE F*#K UP!!!!

Member #
    Liked
    167 times
    Something like this. I would cut the M72 barrel to 16" (or shorter if I go with the M76 FSB). For profiling, I would drop the quill with an end mill to the barrel, make a slow revolution with the rotary table, then feed the X axis toward the end mill, followed by another rotation, etc. I wouldn't be taking off much, and from my experience, the Yugo barrels are pretty soft.

My lack of experience is showing I'm sure- Are rotary tables (w/ chuck) meant to have the work piece sticking through the backside? I'm basically trying to use the rotary as a lathe without a tailstock.

Member #
    Liked
    485 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hueto View Post
    My lack of experience is showing I'm sure- Are rotary tables (w/ chuck) meant to have the work piece sticking through the backside? I'm basically trying to use the rotary as a lathe without a tailstock.
    If it has a through hole and can accommodate the barrel then why not.... I would definitely give it a go.... just don't try to take too much off at once..

Member #
    Liked
    167 times
    But I'm assuming the chuck may or may not have a centering pin that fills the center hole on the rotary table?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    279 times
    You are not going to get a very good finish with that setup if your looking for a press fit. A lathe is really what you want to use. If you decide to send it out I can help. I can turn, thread and crown barrels for a fair price. I have been in the machine trade for almost 40 years. I'm not really looking for work, just helping out.

Member #
    Liked
    51 times
    You might be able to get away with a rotary table that has a 4MT bore or larger (generally 12" or larger table) and a chuck that is designed to bolt directly to the rotary table using the T slots instead of using the morse taper.

https://www.tormach.com/store/index....show&ref=31721

Member #
    Liked
    167 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Obstreperous View Post
    You are not going to get a very good finish with that setup if your looking for a press fit. A lathe is really what you want to use. If you decide to send it out I can help. I can turn, thread and crown barrels for a fair price. I have been in the machine trade for almost 40 years. I'm not really looking for work, just helping out.
    I'll definitely keep that in mind, thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    I think Pookey has turned down a barrel by chucking it up in a drill press and running a peanut grinder up and down it.
    Your plan can't be any more WECSOG than that.
    J3:16

Member #
    Liked
    362 times
    I have used a rotary to do this, but like said above you will not get a very good finish. Make sure if you do try this to use a ball Endmill. A square Endmill will brake as soon as it makes contact. A lathe is the best way to go.

One thing I have done if you don't need to take a lot off is this. Get a live center and put it into a v-block, held in a vise. Find the centerline of the live center using an indicator. Place the barrel into a tool holder. Collet holder works best. Put the tool holder in the spindle and bring the z-axis down until the barrel sits in the live center. Use a file first to do most of the removal, then sand paper stepping down to fine emery cloth.

This works fine for removing small amounts of material if you have no other choice.
    Hueto likes this.
    WTB: Type3 Bulgarian Dustcover
    Gasblock
    Gastube

Member #
    Liked
    167 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 12g87 View Post
    I have used a rotary to do this, but like said above you will not get a very good finish. Make sure if you do try this to use a ball Endmill. A square Endmill will brake as soon as it makes contact. A lathe is the best way to go.

One thing I have done if you don't need to take a lot off is this. Get a live center and put it into a v-block, held in a vise. Find the centerline of the live center using an indicator. Place the barrel into a tool holder. Collet holder works best. Put the tool holder in the spindle and bring the z-axis down until the barrel sits in the live center. Use a file first to do most of the removal, then sand paper stepping down to fine emery cloth.

This works fine for removing small amounts of material if you have no other choice.
    If I'm understanding this, you're basically describing something similar to the old Pooky trick?

Member #
    Liked
    362 times
    Not sure what the old pooky trick is but, you are just taking a lathe and standing it on it's side. You have a head stock "spindle" and a tailstock "live center in the vise".

Capture.PNG
    Hueto likes this.
    WTB: Type3 Bulgarian Dustcover
    Gasblock
    Gastube

Member #
    Liked
    167 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 12g87 View Post
    Not sure what the old pooky trick is but, you are just taking a lathe and standing it on it's side. You have a head stock "spindle" and a tailstock "live center in the vise".

Capture.PNG
    lol yeah, that's what I was thinking. My mini mill won't allow that.

pookie chucked the muzzle in a drill press and used a spent cartridge nailed to a wood block as a live center.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors