AK Rifles banner

Bulgarian vs American AKSU Barrel

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  CalRon 
#1 ·
Hey, I'm about to build my '86 Tula AKSU and I need some last minute advice. I currently have a Bluejack V5 and a uao85 barrel w/ gasport in groove. I was going to build on one of these, but I just happened to come across a virgin Bulgarian AKSU barrel. All of my rifles have Combloc barrels, so this would be my first rifle without.

The price of the Bulgy barrel is the same as I paid for the Bluejack and uao85 combined. Needless to say, it's Expensive. I want my Tula to be around for a LONG time and I dont want to worry about burning out the barrel. I wouldnt worry about this with a CHF barrel, but I dont know how long a 4130 chrome molly barrel compares? Is it worth my while to sell the two barrels I have to purchase the Bulgarian? Or am I good with what I have and over thinking things as usual?

Thanks

Also, I'm aware that the Bulgarian barrel is about 2-3mm longer than the older pattern Tulas such as mine and that it will extend past the FSB/GB, but I'm okay with that. If I decide to go this route, I need to make sure my trunnion wont swallow the barrel. The barrel is marked 2-1-2, but I dont have it in my possession to actually measure.

#2 ·
Not sure what bluejack made his from. Pretty sure 4140, same as mine. Any of them should outlast a single operator with normal regular semi auto use. I would keep the bulgy barrel for a late Tula or Bulgarian build. That's what I used for my 93 build (original Bulgarian aksu barrel)

My .02

:)

This post has been deleted
#5 ·
This pretty much covers everything. Hammer forging is great because it provides a more wear resistant surface and can even produce barrels that are ready to install. It was made popular mostly because it can produce high volume of barrels that tend to be more durable. Other rifling methods can produce a more precise bore however. Estimates vary on longevity, but there are so many variables that can affect barrel life. Arsenal says 10k on full auto minimum, so fair to say Bulgy barrels could hit 15-25k in semi pretty reasonably. Most barrels are either 4140 or 4150 alloy if they aren't stainless and I don't think it would be impossible for them to hit 15k or more just depending.

#3 ·
Wow, thank you for the very detailed response. I feel much better about building it on one of the two barrels I have. I will of course keep the spare incase I end up needing it down the road. If CHF barrels are only 10-15% better at best, then it doesnt make sense to sell two barrels for one.

#4 ·
Yeah I don't think it's worth the extra money either for the Bulgy. I have a bluejack V5 that is an unfixable lemon, but the other one I have in my gun is holding up fantastic to the abuse a couple members here have put on it (to my horror haha). I don't have any experience with uao's yet, but I am planning on getting one for my most special/favorite '86 that I want to be absolutely perfect.

Planning on doing a side by side comparison of a Bulgy and Bluejack in the future for fun (and hopefully a uao when I can afford one). So far short range, haven't noticed a difference

Keep us posted man, you should do an ole fashion build thread!

#6 ·
Well I ended up purchasing the Bulgarian krink barrel after all. Something about about having a factory krink barrel on my Tula was just too difficult to resist. I'm more than likely going to sell one of my US barrels to help free up some funds. My only concern with the Bulgy barrel is the trunnion journal. It may need to be knurled, but won't know until I have it in my possession? It could possibly be .002" too small?

Mike - I plan on recording some tutorials on my next few builds. I'm in the process up building a website where I will host all my videos. I recorded myself building the Bulgarian AKSU and the videos were horrible. I look and sounds SUPER serious. I'm not comfortable in front of a camera at all. lol. But they will be fun to watch later in life and may help myself and others out along the way.

This post has been deleted
#7 ·
Thanks for the info. This is my first time doing something like this, so there is a to learn. I watch a lot of Youtube videos and I know exactly what your talking about when you mentioned voice over track, etc but I didn't know the actual terminology. So that will help a lot. I wasn't aware that Youtube offered video editing software either. I should definitely take your advice about having a script prepared because it can get awkward otherwise. lol.

Normally, I build whenever I get some free time. Now I have to plan everything out and it takes a lot of time. Otherwise, I would have already started my next build, but I want to make sure I record as much of it as possible.

I am using HostGator, so I believe thats considered renting host space over the server? I've paid for a year subscription, so the website will be developed slowly but surely. Should be fun, I'm pretty excited.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.