Hi from NZ - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Hi from NZ

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Yes, on the standard firearms license we are permitted to have a semi auto only if there is no freestanding pistol grip, magazine limited to 7 rounds (15 if rimfire), no bayonet lug or flash hider. If we want the military style features we get an endorsement on our license and the rifle is registered as a restricted weapon.
    Its a pretty good system and seems to work for us quite well.
    gmac321 likes this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2158 times
    If you don't mind another question, what conditions must be met to obtain the endorsement permitting military-style weapon features?
    LOOKING FOR: Postban Chicom (squareback) Rifle, '65 EG MPi-KM kit, Soviet and East German AKM Barrels, Soviet AKM U/F Stock Assembly, Polish Milled Receiver Front Stub

I can organize and sell your Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collection
    if you lack the time or desire; send a PM if interested.

Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Certainly. With the basic firearms license there is an assessment by a vetting officer to ensure the applicant is fit to own firearms, family members such as a spouse are interviewed and so is another person known to you but are not related, background checks are also done and basic firearm security is checked.
    When applying for an endorsement, this process is again repeated but this time the requirement of firearm security is of a much higher standard. With the basic license something like a locked cupboard is acceptable, however the endorsement requires a steel cabinet/ safe built to strict specification such as minimum of 6mm thickness, 5 lever locking mechanism and internal hinges, all securely bolted to a floor and wall.
    Its also interesting to note that with the basic license, there is no requirement to register the serial number of firearms with the police. An MSSA or other restricted weapon IS recorded and then transfered to the next endorsed owner when sold.
    In fact I'm off down to the police station tomorrow to transfer a beautiful 56-3 with red phenolic furniture that I just bought ;-)
    AZAK likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    there is no requirement to register the serial number of firearms with the police
    I'm confused, so there is a registration of the firearm yet they don't take down vital information for their records? Or am I mistaken and they give you a license but don't log actual items in your possession? I'm asking about the basic license.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    - George Orwell

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Absolutely correct, with owning firearms without an endorsement (ie. Bolt action rifles, shotguns, semi automatics without the military features) it is completely voluntary to register the serial number or other information with the police, suffice to say most people don't.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2158 times
    OK, so a Dragunov Tigr (configured without flash hider) wouldn't require an endorsement if the mag was limited to 7 rounds? I recall hearing they're sold in NZ gun stores, definitely not sold retail here.
    LOOKING FOR: Postban Chicom (squareback) Rifle, '65 EG MPi-KM kit, Soviet and East German AKM Barrels, Soviet AKM U/F Stock Assembly, Polish Milled Receiver Front Stub

I can organize and sell your Commbloc weapon/parts/accessory collection
    if you lack the time or desire; send a PM if interested.

Kalashnikov Collectors Association

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AZAK View Post
    OK, so a Dragunov Tigr (configured without flash hider) wouldn't require an endorsement if the mag was limited to 7 rounds? I recall hearing they're sold in NZ gun stores, definitely not sold retail here.
    Yep you got it. We also have the Tigr in straight pull, brand new as imported. Plus I've seen Romanian PSL new for sale as well.

Member #
    Liked
    114 times
    Quote Originally Posted by VityaNZ View Post
    Yep you got it. We also have the Tigr in straight pull, brand new as imported. Plus I've seen Romanian PSL new for sale as well.
    Now that you mention straight pull versions of semiautos, I know Ruger was making some straight pull Mini-14s, I take it you see those there too? Could be wrong but I think they were making them purely for export too.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    - George Orwell

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Interesting, maybe for Australia or UK. We have Mini 14 and 30, both semi auto and no military style features, although just like the AK or AR platform as soon as you insert a high capacity magazine and you're not endorsed, its illegal!

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    I thought you all might like to see my Norinco 56S-3, its in fair condition and complete apart from the bayonet, I hope I can find one.

Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    This one shows the color of the phenolic furniture a bit better

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsors