Packaging when shipping a rifle.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Packaging when shipping a rifle.

Member #
    Liked
    29 times

Packaging when shipping a rifle.

What packaging do you folks use when shipping a rifle? A Plano rifle case only? Suggestions,please.
    The popular members own the "Like" voting machines. Just sayin!

Member #
    Liked
    7811 times
    That would work.

Palmetto uses those well-padded cardboard boxes, but I have no idea where you'd get those.
    "If I spent half as much time in the gym as I do on the computer, I'd be ripped as s*** by now" - Me

"There really is something broken between your ears. You know this, yes?" - Redbear

Closed captioned for the drinking impaired. Wait...

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    1163 times
    Uline sells them, but probably not just one.

Over pack! And over pad. Especially AKs.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    942 times
    Cardboard box, lots of packing paper or newspaper, bubble wrap, etc. Insulate and isolate.
    Plano rifle case with the egg crate foam inside would work, but I'd still wrap the rifle in bubble wrap. May or may not want to remove bolt carrier group and put in padded envelope. If it has a scope mounted, I'd wrap that up pretty well also.
    Alfred likes this.
    No......it's not that I'm up early....or late for that matter. It's just that I never sleep.
    Sans Remords

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Even in a plano case I would bubble wrap the rifle really well, they still slide and bounce around in those things. Then put the plano case inside of a non-decript cardboard box.
    CaptainNapalm likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    3775 times
    I bought a bunch of Uline boxes. I stuff them with whatever I can find. Luckily for me we get all kinds of deliveries at work so I have free access to all kinds of padding material.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1627 times
    I always ship using an old rifle box laying around removing the B/C and wrapping it separably using plenty of bubble wrap, I've seen more than a few rifles come though my friend's FFL with the box torn and the bolt charging handle sticking out through the box.. Also you can't use enough heavy duty brown shipping tape on the box.
    I'm Your Huckleberry

Member #
    Liked
    18457 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock Holiday View Post
    I always ship using an old rifle box laying around removing the B/C and wrapping it separably using plenty of bubble wrap, I've seen more than a few rifles come though my friend's FFL with the box torn and the bolt charging handle sticking out through the box.. Also you can't use enough heavy duty brown shipping tape on the box.
    This^^^^^^^
    ....at the least wrap cardboard around the charging handle......extra around the mag so it will not cause any damage rattling around loose.
    Last edited by Glock Holiday; 04-21-2017 at 09:12 AM.
    pics / vid required for validation

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    See below......
    Last edited by PumpStation666; 04-21-2017 at 10:27 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1116 times
    New boxes cost very little money for one, but places like Uline only sell in bundles of 15-25 plus shipping.

Still worth it.

Crazy to cheap out on spending $5 or 6 on a box and bubble wrap that will protect a rifle or parts kit worth hundreds.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I shipped an FAL rifle in a heavy Remington box and using many prices of cardboard stacked up at the barrel end. Cover anything that you think might poke through the box. Wrap any loose items, the key is nothing should move inside the box. I also put the rifle inside a gun sock too.....then again the other guy shipped me an RPK with a single layer of bubble wrap in a worn out Midway USA box which arrived okay.

Member #
    Liked
    2385 times
    just slap a priority mail label on the handguard
    theres a company in ohio that makes boxes specifically for guns unfortunately shipping on the boxes is much more than the boxes...
    uline sells long rectangular boxes that work but 25 minimum i think...
    youre going to have to buy another rifle for a box i think before you can ship this one. eh?
    boatma1, evolixsurf and COMM BLOC like this.
    07 ffl

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4735 times
    I always reinforce the barrel with an extra piece of cardboard to stop it from poking through. The plano cases also work great, as does lots of bubble wrap.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Perfect excuse to buy another rifle, for the box. Bubble wrap is your friend
    Wyo Wolverine likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2101 times
    i worked at fed ex circa 2002 we crushed infinite boxes with so called ''incompatables'' such as giant tractor tires meat hooks falling out of boxes slicing thru my buddies arm etc. a great portion of some boxes were smashed open on purpose by guys looking for weed and drugs and whole trailers being filled were being smashed. the dope would walk right out thru security and boss was in on it all. fbi came in after i cashed out they had my paychecks mixed with some gal from the sunrise shift just like everyone else i wasnt getting paid properly i stuck around 3 months most lasted 1 week and they hired a fresh batch beginning of every month.

what i learned was dont ship fed ex and package stuff like its going to hell cause it actually does.

heres what i suggest. get the thick durable cardboard long boxes no longer than bare minimum save an inch or 2 to tightly reinforce ends but take stock off etc if its detatchable normally. use the best tape heavily not sparingly and dont go over corners with tape cause the automated feeder catches em and turns where boxes clog and crush each other on belt. they tear tape off in such a way nothing of the box survives your gun goes tumbling along outside the box off the belt etc. keep in mind how far its going and thru which busy terminals. dont use brown tape get the heavy duty shipping clear duct tape at walmart.

pad sharp edges such as cocking handles weak spots etc use a mosin nagant tool roll made from russian burlap canvas is what i do but ive got an infinite supply of those just use durable stuff. use tough stuff like excess condensed cardboard inside everywhere possible not packing pnuts and everything must be tight not loose inside use heavily crumpled paper is fine. job done! pray to jesus that actually helps. who are you shipping with? never go fed ex my brother worked ups same time and he said there was nothing like that going on across town at ups. usps is my favorite. i shipped a pkm semi crated package via ups due to weight and size limits at usps. long story of dos and donts actually.
    DISCLAIMER; I live in a murderous world imploding over other folks secret agendas. in doing so im told to pretend to act ''normal'' like everyone else and hide under a rock and make normal sheep noises. kinda like a sheep watching its family being led into an automated meat grinder. think about the other sheep saying don't draw attention to yourself they might target you next. F*#K THAT! stand up and make a last stand for humanity! Robbie f*#king parker were live! WAKE THE F*#K UP!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors