belt fed DPM being developed by SMG guns.....

View Poll Results: would you buy an rp46 belt feed conversion kit for the semi DPM from SMG Guns?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes! definitely

5 26.32%
  • maybe.....depending on price, quality, etc

10 52.63%
  • no, not that interested

4 21.05%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: belt fed DPM being developed by SMG guns.....

Member #
    Liked
    75 times

belt fed DPM being developed by SMG guns.....

ive heard good things about the smg guns DPM conversions on fogotten weapons. they seem well built and reliable. those guys seem like pretty amazingly talented machinists.

they are developing/reverse engineering an rp46 7.62x54r belt feed top cover mechanism. basically you drop this top cover on where the pan magazine goes, and voila, you have a belt fed rifle. pretty neat, especially considering it came out in 1946.

anyone interested should head over to their website and email them the pdf form expressing interest. they are only going to be able to make these if enough people show interest.

https://smggunsstore.com/index.php?r...product_id=162

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8jIIt74MUk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03pbD-ws05w&t=197s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGnWrpns-rk

Last edited by mike_r123; 04-18-2017 at 03:08 PM.
    scottyb likes this.
    Alic:There's somethg down there
    Jil:Where?
    Alic:There
    Peyt:I don't see anythg
    Alic:Well,that doesn't alter the fact that there*is*somethng..down there

Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    mods in your wisdom if you could leave this open in general discussion for a bit i would appreciate it, before possibly moving to DPM discussion category. i think there might be some people who wouldn't be as interested in buying a DPM until they heard about this belt feed thing, i know it piqued my interest. this could be probably the cheapest, yet coolest, belt fed 7.62x54r/actual BIG bullet belt fed semi out there.

the next cheapest 7.62 belt fed i know of is the uk59 which starts around $5000.

Member #
    Liked
    7978 times
    I'd really like to see a Shrike upper in 54r or 308 but the more the merrier in any platform.

the DPM is cool already with it's cheap hat but again a good functioning belt fed anything is great.
    "If I spent half as much time in the gym as I do on the computer, I'd be ripped as s*** by now" - Me

"There really is something broken between your ears. You know this, yes?" - Redbear

Closed captioned for the drinking impaired. Wait...

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3501 times
    Is anyone even making semi DPM clones at all?
    "Men who are not free... always idealize their bondage." - Boris Pasternak

Member #
    Liked
    2254 times
    outstanding! long overdue. they should offer the bipod too if not also the barrel and jacket once these take off. the late bipod keeps the gun from shoveling dirt and mud into the muzzle when its constantly falling forward. that old spec bipod is the goofy laughing stock of everything the soviets designed. I guess they had those funny hats way back those were goofy too.

theres more interest for the rp-46 belt fed conversion than they will realize I think. its one of those items that every dp and dpm owner wants but cant find. even at 1500 or 2 grand a pop its still the cheapest game in town for a semi gpmg when added to the host weapon. makes the dpm way too cool. if they sell only 50 or 100 units and then quit thinking interest is low then the interest and prices will peak long after their gone. stuff like that always does.

takes time for old timers, shooters and non online guys to find out they exist and that they do in fact need one. should be a no brainer and a smash hit. if it were me given the machines and mechanism on hand id just have to make the things asap. ''if you build it they will come'' remember that one. lots of stuff to make but the rp46 conv unit should be at the top of the list. 10 years overdue but the market will still bear it. bad timing for gun economy shouldn't scare em as its still economical given the price of the host weapon and overall interest ive seen.

this is the rare unicorn everyone wants. made to be simple so its kind of straight forward. open the gas port up or offer a booster cone as bolt on option I guess that makes sense if semi internals suck up more belt pull force.
    mike_r123 and otus like this.
    want to buy Chinese cq [m16a1 copy] wavy ribbed whatever forarms. preferably worn used by philipine pirates but ill settle for new.

if you have old m16a1 stuff especially stuff that looks used by Asian sea faring pirates or insurgents I probably want to cuddle with it and not give it back.

Member #
    Liked
    2254 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 10Gauge View Post
    I'd really like to see a Shrike upper in 54r or 308 but the more the merrier in any platform.

the DPM is cool already with it's cheap hat but again a good functioning belt fed anything is great.
    the shrike never worked well im told by the guy who bought one and made replacement parts for em. the latest finest form was still breaking 8 or 10 parts consistently constantly.
    want to buy Chinese cq [m16a1 copy] wavy ribbed whatever forarms. preferably worn used by philipine pirates but ill settle for new.

if you have old m16a1 stuff especially stuff that looks used by Asian sea faring pirates or insurgents I probably want to cuddle with it and not give it back.

Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    I contacted SMG Guns about their DPM build and I definitely plan to get a rifle from them in the fall. You have to send a 100 dollar deposit if you are interested and it's a long wait time for them to get the parts built and such.

Barring that, I'd also would love a RP46 conversion as well!

Member #
    Liked
    7978 times
    Quote Originally Posted by COMM BLOC View Post
    the shrike never worked well im told by the guy who bought one and made replacement parts for em. the latest finest form was still breaking 8 or 10 parts consistently constantly.
    That's a shame.
    "If I spent half as much time in the gym as I do on the computer, I'd be ripped as s*** by now" - Me

"There really is something broken between your ears. You know this, yes?" - Redbear

Closed captioned for the drinking impaired. Wait...

Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Walleye View Post
    Is anyone even making semi DPM clones at all?
    my
    understanding is that smg guns is making them. their website is not that great looking but it gets the job done. they posted an update saying they are still in business as of 1-28-17, and they posted several dpm related youtube vids in february, see above. i assume they are still building dpm if people send them the kits and they get a build quue built up.

Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 10Gauge View Post
    That's a shame.

wow
    i hadnt heard about that....even the latest generation is not working reliably????

those things are like $4500....

wtf

Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    Quote Originally Posted by COMM BLOC View Post
    outstanding! long overdue. they should offer the bipod too if not also the barrel and jacket once these take off. the late bipod keeps the gun from shoveling dirt and mud into the muzzle when its constantly falling forward. that old spec bipod is the goofy laughing stock of everything the soviets designed. I guess they had those funny hats way back those were goofy too.

theres more interest for the rp-46 belt fed conversion than they will realize I think. its one of those items that every dp and dpm owner wants but cant find. even at 1500 or 2 grand a pop its still the cheapest game in town for a semi gpmg when added to the host weapon. makes the dpm way too cool. if they sell only 50 or 100 units and then quit thinking interest is low then the interest and prices will peak long after their gone. stuff like that always does.

takes time for old timers, shooters and non online guys to find out they exist and that they do in fact need one. should be a no brainer and a smash hit. if it were me given the machines and mechanism on hand id just have to make the things asap. ''if you build it they will come'' remember that one. lots of stuff to make but the rp46 conv unit should be at the top of the list. 10 years overdue but the market will still bear it. bad timing for gun economy shouldn't scare em as its still economical given the price of the host weapon and overall interest ive seen.

this is the rare unicorn everyone wants. made to be simple so its kind of straight forward. open the gas port up or offer a booster cone as bolt on option I guess that makes sense if semi internals suck up more belt pull force.
    fwiw, smg guns seems to have addressed all issues. they put a booster cone on the existing semi dpm. this increases the gas pressure or whatever (im not an expert on booster cones) and therefore increases the force of the bolt carrier coming back, thus allowing the carrier (or whatever) to have enough force to run the belt feed mechanism.....

it looks great in the youtube that's all i know.....

who else made dpms? wiselite or whoever should take their email list and send a notice out to all people who bought dpms.....letting them know about this possible rp46....there's a big part of the market, in addition to smgs own customers...they need a little help with their web and email fu i think, they could send out a blast email saying hey who is interested...maybe they have already i dont know

Member #
    Liked
    142 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_r123 View Post
    my
    understanding is that smg guns is making them. their website is not that great looking but it gets the job done. they posted an update saying they are still in business as of 1-28-17, and they posted several dpm related youtube vids in february, see above. i assume they are still building dpm if people send them the kits and they get a build quue built up.

Their website is terrible... I really want to get one of their DPMs though

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Hi,
    Yes our website sux. This is a 7 day a week operation and there are not enough of us. It is on the "to do" list......

General answers on the RP46 project....... We are making these and have prototype d out two of the main parts already, waiting on the material for the others. I can tell you the parts are made from 4140 steel and will be heat treated after final machine like the originals so should last just about forever.

No need to re-invent the wheel here as far as basic design as it works really well so the only changes we will make are in the user friendly dept like make it a snap in place of the mag without any mods to your DP28 or DPM. And yes the original RP46 kit demands cuts on the barrel jacket as well as on the barrel and we didn't think that was going to be a popular idea.

How committed to actually going past the point of making one working unit? We have already purchased the material to end up with 50+ units and all considered it is enough money there will be at least that many that get finished and sold. And like someone on this forum pointed out..... There are lots of DP series weapons, both FA and semi that these will fit!

Can't lock down a price as there are too many things unkown as far as troubles along the way making these. Simple things like warping in heat treat can deal misery about the time you have it finished. And yes none of these parts are rocket science but they do start out big chunks of steel that end up thin sections so there will be some challenges.

I have had people already announce "if it is more than x amount I am not buying one" and we get that but some of the numbers are not realistic. I can tell you they will be 1,500.00 or less for the basic belt feed adapter setup with the required muzzle booster if that is the route we end up taking.

As with a lot of things we have done the first thing that works - even if it works great - may not be where you end up. There may be a better idea on it we haven't worked out. When will we have them ready to sell you say? ASAP as it is a priority project and is being worked on on a regular basis.

Your comments etc are always appreciated and considered so drop us a note to the smggunsstore.com or smgguns@yahoo.com . Busy as heck so may not always be able to reply but I do read them all.

Rick
    10Gauge, JoeMomma, scottyb and 1 others like this.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5077 times
    I'd like to see what becomes of this project, and I think its a neat idea if it works well.
    scottyb likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    75 times
    this was posted on theakfiles. this project has surely escalated quickly!

"

smgguns

AKaholic #: 108778Join Date: Jul 2010
    Feedback Score: reviews

Just to follow up some. We are now taking names/deposits for the belt fed set up for the DP series. I have desired, and been told we needed to, keep them as inexpensive as possible. Now that we have prototyped out all the parts except the top plate I can tell you a couple of things...... 1) That were are making them from solid like the originals (4140 steel) and 2) These while not technically challenging are huge consumers of machine time.

Take a look at the picture. Between the bottom tray, feed try, and top cover alone those chunks of starting steel weigh in at 36 lbs total on a belt feed assy. that when finished weighs right at 4 lbs. total...... That a lot of steel to move and we are using good machines, carbide tools, and high speed programming where possible.

So...... These first run sets, there may not be another run, are priced at 1,495.00. Not inexpensive by any means but you aren't going to make these the hard way like the originals very inexpensively. If you want one send 100.00 deposit and your name to us and we will put you on the list.
    otus likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors