Switching to 5.45 Platform, need advice.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Switching to 5.45 Platform, need advice.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Switching to 5.45 Platform, need advice.

I plan on getting a 5.45 rifle to replace my SLR-107FR as a "SHTF" rifle. I've tried my best to get my Arsenal to be a 3MOA gun but my sample just won't do it. My requirements for this rifle are as follows: Platform reasonably expected to be able to reach the 3MOA mark (will be used with 1-6x optic out to 500m)
    Windage Adjustable rear signt or ability to accept aftermarket Krebs rear peep sight
    Standard (16.5") barrel length
    Sturdy left side rail mount Ability to accept wide range of Magazines (I live in a free state so drums are a possibility.)
    Ability to change stock to M4 or BCM style stock
    Must have aftermarket triggers available

I've been looking at the Arsenal 5.45 rifles and they are very attractive however I am somewhat dissatisfied by my 107FR so I hesitate to pay the Premium for an Arsenal if im not reaping any benefits. The finish is lacking, the front trunion is off-center, and the irons do not hold zero well, and is very picky about ammo (shoots Yugo surplus like a shotgun, tulammo/wolf is always >6moa, Golden Tiger which is the guns "favorite" is usually ~5moa) (Sent the rifle to Arsenal and they returned it saying everything was within factory specs and "no imperfections were found")
    I've also taken an interest in the Vepr RPK receiver rifles due to their heavier barrel and reinforced receiver. I was recommended the Vepr AK-74-11 but I hesitate because I've heard of feed issues requiring special magaziens (not known if this is fact or rumor) The rifle I want really needs an emphasis on accuracy. It will be outfitted with a 1-6x optic and I plan on shooting it regularly at 500m. If anyone has any recommendations on rifles to fit this bill or more input on the 2 rifles listed above it would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by GraniteStateEMT; 04-18-2017 at 10:39 AM. Reason: paragraph structure
    COMM BLOC likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2568 times
    sounds like you need a spr type ar-15 setup. or at least something w/ an upgraded barrel.
    google pri spr mark 12
    i think issued rifles are only held to 2 moa standards or something.
    Last edited by BR7.62; 04-18-2017 at 10:43 AM.
    Thrasher and Stuxnet like this.
    07 ffl

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BR7.62 View Post
    sounds like you need a spr type ar-15 setup. or at least something w/ an upgraded barrel.
    google pri spr mark 12
    I'm not going for an AR. Sticking with the AK for this setup
    COMM BLOC likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3864 times
    And I want a Jeep Wrangler to climb mountains and do 2 sec in a quarter mile!

While it sounds like your 107 may have issues a typical AK is still in the 3 - 4 moa range. Some may find a mix of rifle/ammo/shooter that will get better groups but don't expect less than 3 - 4.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    970 times
    While you're deciding on the rifle............................................. ..start buying ammo. Best advice I can give.
    762Sam and montanaAK like this.
    MAGA- let's get this show on the road!

Sans Remords

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    While you're deciding on the rifle............................................. ..start buying ammo. Best advice I can give.
    Indeed. Get a lot of CLP or means of cleaning your weapon too. In a shtf scenario, if all you stocked up on was corrosive surplus, you don't want to have to battle excessive corrosion in addition to whoever you're using the weapon against long-term.

Consider stocking up on non-corrosive for SHTF, and corrosive for training.
    762Sam likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Type561 View Post
    Indeed. Get a lot of CLP or means of cleaning your weapon too. In a shtf scenario, if all you stocked up on was corrosive surplus, you don't want to have to battle excessive corrosion in addition to whoever you're using the weapon against long-term.

Consider stocking up on non-corrosive for SHTF, and corrosive for training.
    I've got ~8000 rounds of non corrosive 7.62x39 and 2 gallons of Breakfree so I'm good on those ends. Just looking to switch to 5.45 as a primary rifle

Member #
    Liked
    3864 times
    May want to find someone who wants to swap

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    BR7.62 and Thrasher like this.

Member #
    Liked
    405 times
    google pri spr mark 12
    My thoughts exactly.

In the OP's case, sell the 107 and get a VEPR. BUT being RPK spec is no guarantee of accuracy, just a little better odds.
    My 7.62x39mm VEPR averages ~2 inches at 100m with Golden Tiger.
    I think I got lucky? YMMV.
    I live in a dense clusterf*ck of city so my SHTF caliber choice was pretty easy, I feel very confident with a 7.62x39mm VEPR and a PK-01V out to 400m. If I lived on the plains I'd have a .308 SCAR.

As for cleaning/lube, BEHOLD!!
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-1...5-qt./17034371
    Last edited by Thrasher; 04-18-2017 at 12:45 PM.
    "Skill, not fear, will rule this night. Cold Steel, will win this fight." - Nuclear Assault, 1987

Member #
    Liked
    3501 times
    Honestly, your limiting problem with both 7.62x39 and 5.45 is the ammo. If you put together a decent handload for your 107, it will be able to do a lot better. That's why the recommendations for AR-15 SPR type rifles - those can do a lot better without going to custom match grade ammo.

None of my '74s will do better than 3MOA, scoped or unscoped. It just doesn't happen with typical comm-bloc ammo.
    Thrasher, MPiKM-72 and JeepFan like this.
    "Men who are not free... always idealize their bondage." - Boris Pasternak

Member #
    Liked
    2568 times
    scar 17s... they are fucking sweet.
    that pt-91 upper looks interesting for a gas piston as well. also been wondering about the 805 bren.
    as much as i love 5.45 it seems like a poor choice for shtf. at least here, they dont even stock it at lgs so i doubt to many people own them in my area.
    sorry to get so far away from topic...
    i would agree if 5.45 try a vepr.
    also for a shooter the u.s. made chrome barrels in a ak-74 shoot really well.
    much as collectors hate to build using them
    07 ffl

Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    scar 17s... they are fucking sweet.
    that pt-91 upper looks interesting for a gas piston as well. also been wondering about the 805 bren.
    as much as i love 5.45 it seems like a poor choice for shtf. at least here, they dont even stock it at lgs so i doubt to many people own them in my area.
    sorry to get so far away from topic...
    i would agree if 5.45 try a vepr.
    also for a shooter the u.s. made chrome barrels in a ak-74 shoot really well.
    much as collectors hate to build using them
    He just summed it up well. Hornady offers 2 loads in 5.45 and some members have gotten good results within 100 yards. Beyond I'm not sure. I got out the 5.45 round years ago but can't deny I still get a hanger-en for it. You may do well to compromise and step into the 6.5 Grendel. It's parent round is 220 Russian/7.62x39/6.5 PPC but it still looks remarkably like a 5.45 in appearance. If a SHTF round is what you desire then you should consider the Grendel. My .02.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    5077 times
    Sounds like you have the right idea's going. My advice is to get good quality surplus mags, and get as many as possible.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    2254 times
    was your arsenal an arsenal bulgaria or arsenal las vegas reworked russian siaga. get an arsenal las vegas reworked russian siaga and dont look back. if you get a fime siaga or a bad one get another and try it as theres not really any better ones out there. fime batch siagas are said to be worst but i dont own one. all mine are non fime batch sgl-31 and sgl-31-94. pm me ill help. i run and gun em a bit.

if your enough rich and crazy you can try something completely thinking outside the box. something thats maybe never yet been done before on an sgl31. get a brand new gun and counter bore the muzzle to .25 for 1. 25 inches back from muzzle. thats what made my last ar build the craziest accuate gun ive seen off the bench. the hollow tube actually stabilizes the bullit it seems with a jet of air around the projectile as its stabilizing exiting the muzzle.
    Bildobaggins likes this.
    want to buy Chinese cq [m16a1 copy] wavy ribbed whatever forarms. preferably worn used by philipine pirates but ill settle for new.

if you have old m16a1 stuff especially stuff that looks used by Asian sea faring pirates or insurgents I probably want to cuddle with it and not give it back.

Member #
    Liked
    2254 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GraniteStateEMT View Post
    I plan on getting a 5.45 rifle to replace my SLR-107FR as a "SHTF" rifle. I've tried my best to get my Arsenal to be a 3MOA gun but my sample just won't do it. My requirements for this rifle are as follows: Platform reasonably expected to be able to reach the 3MOA mark (will be used with 1-6x optic out to 500m)
    Windage Adjustable rear signt or ability to accept aftermarket Krebs rear peep sight
    Standard (16.5") barrel length
    Sturdy left side rail mount Ability to accept wide range of Magazines (I live in a free state so drums are a possibility.)
    Ability to change stock to M4 or BCM style stock
    Must have aftermarket triggers available

I've been looking at the Arsenal 5.45 rifles and they are very attractive however I am somewhat dissatisfied by my 107FR so I hesitate to pay the Premium for an Arsenal if im not reaping any benefits. The finish is lacking, the front trunion is off-center, and the irons do not hold zero well, and is very picky about ammo (shoots Yugo surplus like a shotgun, tulammo/wolf is always >6moa, Golden Tiger which is the guns "favorite" is usually ~5moa) (Sent the rifle to Arsenal and they returned it saying everything was within factory specs and "no imperfections were found")
    I've also taken an interest in the Vepr RPK receiver rifles due to their heavier barrel and reinforced receiver. I was recommended the Vepr AK-74-11 but I hesitate because I've heard of feed issues requiring special magaziens (not known if this is fact or rumor) The rifle I want really needs an emphasis on accuracy. It will be outfitted with a 1-6x optic and I plan on shooting it regularly at 500m. If anyone has any recommendations on rifles to fit this bill or more input on the 2 rifles listed above it would be much appreciated.

id steer clear of veprs they are just too heavy once you use em much. worst gun to add weight to. it gets rediculous. mags work same and perfect but they have to be hi capped first
    want to buy Chinese cq [m16a1 copy] wavy ribbed whatever forarms. preferably worn used by philipine pirates but ill settle for new.

if you have old m16a1 stuff especially stuff that looks used by Asian sea faring pirates or insurgents I probably want to cuddle with it and not give it back.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors