Member #
    Liked
    335 times

zastava mini mauser in 7.62x39

Does anyone have one? If so, hoe do you like it? Does it feed steel case? A lgs has a few @ $450 and I was thinking about picking one up to practice shooting right handed. Figured ammo is still cheap and I have plenty of x39, plus its not hard to find and never disappeared during the panic.

Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    I have one in .223. So I can't help with the caliber specific questions. I like the rifle. The action is small and a little more fiddly to operate than a standard medium action if you want to work it fast. It's fine for what you want to do with it though. Accuracy with the .223 is great. I dunno about the 7.62x39.

I always wanted one in 7.62x39. $450 seems a tad more than I'd pay, but maybe that's what they go for now.

7n6
    Banned

Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Just get an M38 Nagant, I have one, it's very compact and shoots 54r.

Member #
    Liked
    335 times
    I have a m44, 91/30. 7.62x39 is less recoil and longer range sessions. I can do x54, 303, 3006 for about 2-3 hundreds rounds. X39 I can shoot all day
    Last edited by Arik; 10-05-2013 at 05:44 PM.

7n6
    Banned

Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I have a m44, 91/30
    I don't think the Mini-Mausers are control fed, more like pop up rounds that you push feed.

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Between time constraints, other projects and a serious disinclination to do anything structured with my spare time, I haven't benched one yet. Out of the box, S&B shoots close enough to point of aim on mine that I just go out and plink. The bolt will seem loose as anything at full extension, but locks up fine. Haven't tried steel case ammo yet 'cause I want the brass.

$450 seems to be about what the price has settled at from what I can tell. Wholesale Hunter may have a slightly better deal than J&G, or maybe not.

Bear in mind that you have a choice between a 20" barrel and a sporter stock and an 18" barrel with a Mannlicher stock. FWIW, the Mannlicher only seems heavy when compared directly to the sporter and even then, not much. Like the CZ, both rifles will force you to make some interesting decisions if you want to add a scope. OTOH, the irons work fine for me, as irons go.

If you don't dig up much here, check out some of the Australian and New Zealand websites. They seem to have had a fairly steady supply of the Zastavas and generally have good things to say about them. Then again, they've got me wanting to find one of the Norinco bolt actions, too.

Member #
    Liked
    34 times
    I looked into these some time ago but never got around to getting one,although i'm still interested and may eventually.

the name is a misnomer. it's not actually based on a true mauser action,doesn't have the full length claw and is not control fed like a true mauser action,....generally considered a little fiddly,less reliable,..but considered ok and generally satisfactory and besides,what are you going to do? it is what it is.

these used to be sold long ago as the Remington 799,basically the exact,entire zastava action but with a wood stock supplied by Remington. the wood on the Remington was much better finished and carved(like a custom),these new ones come with wood that is a little rougher,less attention to detail and with a simple finish. (I was planning on bedding and finishing myself anyway,perhaps with several coats of linseed oil or similar). these(zastava action but someone else's stock) were also sold as the sako vixen,interarms mini mark X(I have 2 old walther catalogs that show these,back when interarms was a walther distributor) and also a Charles daily version. all had better finished wood. iirc,all the parts on the action interchange with these so if you need lets say,a firing pin,look for parts from a Remington 799(the most common by numbers iirc).

as you can see,these have been floating around for a long time by one name or another but,imho,it's a good thing that they are now zastava rifles directly and distributed,iirc,by CIA. your going to have to confirm if they sell parts individually but I don't think so,..but at least you have a recourse if it all goes bad for some reason.

iirc,there're a few custom stocks(if you like that sort of thing) by Bell & Carlson and Great American out there and perhaps a few others.

iirc,as far as scoping,it seems your best bet is either bases and rings for the Remington 799 which is a 2 piece but there's also a 1 piece made by leupold(I think midway has these,i'd probably go with this),warne.

I hope this helps. I think they're neat,..nice and slow .

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    I picked up two actions in 7.62x39 a few years back for customization: but alas I have no lathe access these days to finish both of them off as they deserve.
    I have one in 22-250 for another project but the same lathe problem haunts me.
    I have a 7.62x39 full rifle on layaway at a local shop that I hope will work out well for me for deer hunting this year.
    I hope to pick up one ore two in .223 also.

Me and my bloody Mauser projects! I have about 12 actions I need to customize and re-barrel sitting around waiting for me to get off my butt to finish in many different calibers.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Do they have a .308 or .310 bore?

Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Warne bases seem to be the easy way to go. The bores and rifling are proper for a .310" bullet.

Member #
    Liked
    306 times
    Yugo M85 bolt gun in x39., I handled this rifle and sold him the M76 scope. Handy rifle., the cocking knob is pretty small is my only real issue.>

7.62 x 39mm Yugo M85 bolt rifle - The AK Files Forums

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    109 times
    my Remington 799

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    rt ds rt h NRA life member NFOA life member Outlaw Gang member GOA member NAGR member SAF member ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Sponsors