Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Golden State Arms Distributors (GSAD)....The Holy Grail of CHICOM AKs ???

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    71 times
    Based on the GSAD I have, I would have to say the finish, which is a deep blue polished finish, is definitely nicer than the Norincos I have owned/seen over the years.

Last edited by Krinkfreak; 09-30-2013 at 03:55 AM.
    "This is the AK 47 Assault Rifle, the preferred weapon of your enemy; it makes a distinctive sound when fired at you."

Member #
    Liked
    11 times
    I think the researcher made a typo when he wrote 3,900 imported a month... Here is an email from Erik that I have saved, I have his email and # if anyone cares to verify.

"The marking on the right side of the receiver is our importer's mark. BATF required our name and city on every gun as a starting point for the tracing process. We used "Golden Sate Arms, Dist. Inc" "Manhattan Beach, Ca." in the early shipments and later they allowed us to abbreviate to "GSAD INC" Man. Bch Ca. So yours is an early gun.

We used to bring in a forty foot container of 1900 guns every month or so. We paid $125- each in China, paid 11% duty and sold then to distributor's for $299.00 each.

Erik J. Berry"

Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    wouldn't it be nice if they could bring in AKs at $125 each again ...
    WTB: E. German BC 1276 (have one to trade)

Member #
    Liked
    475 times
    that one in the gunbroker auction has some of the nicest furniture I've seen from a Chinese rifle, love that dark finish. And judging solely from pictures, looks like Krink is right about the finish on the gun... looks great.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote"

-Benjamin Franklin

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Do you think this one is really unfired? Or, just cleaned up real good? Price seems a bit high, but what do I know?

(Props to recon, who found it on GB) GSAD Norinco Spiker 56s Chinese AK AK-47 AK-47S : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Last edited by recon; 10-05-2013 at 02:04 PM.
    Buy It Cheap!
    Stack It Deep!

7n6
    Banned

Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Quote Originally Posted by m03 View Post
    No. GSAD incorporated on July 27th, 1984. According to Kokalis in the September 1984 issue of Solider of Fortune, ClayCo AKs were present at the 1983 SOF Three-Gun International Match, so ClayCo AKs would have beat GSAD AKs to US shores by almost a year.

And some Clayco's came in with Green Bakelite furniture.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    147 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 7n6 View Post
    And some Clayco's came in with Green Bakelite furniture.
    Clayco's never came in as purpose green furniture. It is only a recent phenomenon the last 5 years or so of people saying Clayco's have a greenish furniture.

All the Clayco's came in as Black color furniture. The "green" that has been noted by some is due to the aging of the resin used in the manufacturing of the black furniture giving a greenish hue due to the prism effect under certain lighting conditions. Anybody that advertises these Clayco's of having a premium tied to these rifles for having a green hue, are perpetrating a farce.
    Last edited by Hootbro; 10-06-2013 at 02:18 PM.
    Veritas vos liberabit

m03

Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootbro View Post
    Clayco's never came in as purpose green furniture. It is only a recent phenomenon the last 5 years or so of people saying Clayco's have a greenish furniture.
    Well, the last 10+, as I remember it being mentioned back when I first got into AKs (and saw a set of two ClayCos exhibiting this detail at a local dealer). Still though, it definitely appears to be something that developed over time. The SOF article, which goes into pretty deep detail, just mentioned the furniture as being black phenolic plastic. Can't really make out any coloration detail, as the pics are in black & white.
    WTB or Trade for: Russian Type-2 AK grip

7n6
    Banned

Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hootbro View Post

All the Clayco's came in as Black color furniture. The "green" that has been noted by some is due to the aging of the resin used in the manufacturing of the black furniture giving a greenish hue due to the prism effect under certain lighting conditions. Anybody that advertises these Clayco's of having a premium tied to these rifles for having a green hue, are perpetrating a farce.

Yes but it's still greenish looking. Perpetuation must go on!!! Anyway, I always wanted one- but I sold off my Chinese Ak collection, can't keep them all I guess. The Red Poly sidefolder and the Clayco Green underfolder would round out a collection nicely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors