Need some quick buying advice

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Need some quick buying advice

I was approached by a relative of mine this past week with a request for me to help him sell his Barrett 99. He brought it to my house today so I could take a look at it. When he told me the price I was a bit surprised, he wants $2750.00 for it. I KNOW that's less than what he paid. I have wanted this rifle since he got it a few years ago but never considered buying it. It has the bushnell scope on it that it came with from the factory. He is also including approximately 30 rounds of ammo and the case that it came in. I asked him what the round count was and he said he had shot it around 100 times since he bought it. The gun is immaculate. He said he has had his fun with it and wants to pass it on. So, that leads me to the questions: Is this a good price? Is this the "deal of a lifetime"? (probably not but I have to ask). He also has enough supplies to load over 1500 rounds and all the presses and tools necessary to complete the job. He is working on a price for all that stuff as well but told me he'd sell it for half what he paid for it (don't know what that means). He has no idea I want to buy this. I currently have the money and it won't put me in a financial bind of any sort. I am just wondering if I am letting a good deal pass me by. Thanks so much for all the help!!!!

Here is a pic:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Member #
    Liked
    72 times

Re: Need some quick buying advice

If you've got the cash and you want it, I'd say jump on it for sure at that price.
    Looking for PSL Magazine H-8913

Member #
    Liked
    31 times

First off let me say, I don't own a Barrett or 50 cal of any kind, but I have shot a M99 and it was quite a thrill. The experience made me salivate for one. But the price and expense of shooting it just wasn't justifiable for the use I could get out of it. Not much to hunt with it unless you're into hard targets like trucks and buses, heavy as hell, you won't be totin' it around much, and you won't be able to use its long range capabilities unless you have access to some seriously 1000 yd.+ ranges or private land to shoot on.

That being said, a quick search showed new Barrett M99 Bolt Actions selling for sub $4000 prices without scope. Price your friend is asking sounds fair, if you have the money and the available facilities to get use out of it, you might want to go for it.

On a side note, I have seen multiple used 50 cals come up for sale locally. Evidently, there are a lot of people who "simply must own one", yet find that after the initial novelty wears off, they are anxious to sell it and recoup some of their lost funds.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Looking for the perfect blade of grass to hide behind in Texas.
    Liked
    51 times

I wish I could find a deal like that, but that's my luck; I always stubble across nice deals like that when I don't have the funds to spend on fun stuff.
    I also have a buddy who is hunting for a set up like this.
    Let me know if you decide you're not interested. I may be able to help you get this thing sold.

Get him to price out all of the loading equip. and supplies. That will tell you if he's really done with 50 cal stuff, or just done with a bolt action rifle.
    Take heart.

Member #
    Liked
    7343 times

If you can feed it and use it, i say go for it.

Every time I want a 50 i remember I've got nowhere to shoot the thing.
    "If I spent half as much time in the gym as I do on the computer, I'd be ripped as s*** by now" - Me

"There really is something broken between your ears. You know this, yes?" - Redbear

Closed captioned for the drinking impaired. Wait...

Technical Advisors

Member #
    Liked
    1125 times

Do you somewhere to shoot it for what its intended for? Like out to 1000+ meters?

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    61 times

Get it if you got the dough. IF you don't like it, you can at least sell it for what you have in it.
    WASR MAAAAADNESSSSS!

Member #
    Liked
    329 times

I bought a Barrett 82A1 in 2002 initially as an investment, since at the time there was talk of possibly making them part of the NFA. Once I fired it I decided it was a keeper, so I won't part with it. As has been mentioned, you could always flip it if you need to and make money on it for what your getting it at. I say definitely go for it.
    Howling Byzantine Uncivilized Barbarian

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Well gentlemen, I did it. I am now a proud owner of a Barrett M99. THANKS SO MUCH for the excellent advice. I just couldn't pass it up.

What have I gotten myself into now??!!?? LOL!!

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Wise decision my man! I would of been on that like stink on shit. Have always wanted a Barrett and that is a heck of deal. Even if you don't want it you could turn a profit on it. Congrats.

Sponsors