Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Century Arms Centurion 39 Sporter

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Century Arms Centurion 39 Sporter

Has anyone here purchased this rifle? It's a milled receiver AK variant. Century claims it 100% American made from 100% American parts. I am intrigued, but I trust a forum more than published reviews. What do you guys think?

Member #
    Liked
    326 times

Re: Century Arms Centurion 39 Sporter

When it comes to AKs (and especially Century products) keep the "US made" stuff far away. Surplus is much better quality. Buy from those who actually use em.

Member #
    Liked
    614 times

...Century...

<================== Exit
    I am trader 10G - Whatcha got? Whatcha lookin' for?

"There really is something broken between your ears. You know this, yes?" - Redbear

Member #
    Liked
    79 times

Yup gotta third that one. Century made = massive fail. Century imported = hit and miss but better than it used to be.

Member #
    Liked
    37 times

I've got one of their Polish 1960 models from a few years back and after a few thousand rounds, it's been dead reliable and still the slickest action I've felt, though the recoil spring feels a little soft.

A friend of mine bought a Centurion a few months back and it functions just fine. Same receiver as my Polish, by ATM. It kinda looks like a cobbled-together mix of whatever parts but it runs and there's no fs cant or anything.

Member #
    Liked
    79 times

Quote Originally Posted by formula73
    I've got one of their Polish 1960 models from a few years back and after a few thousand rounds, it's been dead reliable and still the slickest action I've felt, though the recoil spring feels a little soft.

A friend of mine bought a Centurion a few months back and it functions just fine. Same receiver as my Polish, by ATM. It kinda looks like a cobbled-together mix of whatever parts but it runs and there's no fs cant or anything.
    You and your friend sound like you got lucky. I bought a 1960 and found that no Warsaw Pact magazine would fit in it no matter what. The best part was century's warrantee had already expired because it had been manufactured long before it made it to my lgs. So the problem was mine to fix.

Member #
    Liked
    13 times

...It's looking like the C39 will be the only game in town before long.

Member #
    Liked
    37 times

Quote Originally Posted by neinLG
    Quote Originally Posted by formula73

You and your friend sound like you got lucky. I bought a 1960 and found that no Warsaw Pact magazine would fit in it no matter what. The best part was century's warrantee had already expired because it had been manufactured long before it made it to my lgs. So the problem was mine to fix.
    Wow. That sucks. What was the problem? Mine was one of the really early ones, if that matters at all. I like it so much I bought a spare chf chrome lined barrel for it when the crap US barrel wears out.

Member #
    Liked
    27 times

Bought a Century-built underfolder on an NDS receiver. Seems to shoot pretty straight to me. Luck of the draw I suppose.
    WASR MAAAAADNESSSSS!

Member #
    Liked
    58 times

I have two of the Century Polish 1960 rifles, the first one I bought is very nice (fit and finish) the reciever is marked ATM on the side and the serial# is in the correct place and it is accurate. The second isn't as nice, canted barrel componets, the furniture was kinda crappy ( I replaced it with a NOS polish set) and it shoots 6 inches to the right at 30 yards. No ATM markings just the typical Century stamp with serial# below it. So when it comes to Century look it over really well. But for what it's worth, both actions work nice and smooth, no feed issues, takes any mag, and they go bang with each pull of the trigger.

Member #
    Liked
    37 times

Are they doing their own receivers and building, now? I was under the impression (internet lore, of course) that despite the inaccuracies of the ATM receiver, they were solid enough and that the builds, themselves, were contracted out. Mine has fairly nice furniture, too:

Of course, nobody's going to tell us shit. It seems easier to dig up info on 50 yr old firearms made behind the Iron Curtain than it is to get anything concrete out of Century.

OP: sorry to have dragged this off course.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by formula73 View Post
    Are they doing their own receivers and building, now? I was under the impression (internet lore, of course) that despite the inaccuracies of the ATM receiver, they were solid enough and that the builds, themselves, were contracted out.
    I just thought that I would drop in to tell you that you are correct. Century's lackluster reputation for quality stems from the fact that a majority of their builds and repair work were subcontracted out to not one, but several companies. This resulted in some very poor workmanship and quality control.

The Centurion is built completely in house by Century. They took this approach because they are trying to turn around their reputation - even though it was justly earned.

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    James Yeager at Tactical Response did a 1,000 round torture test rapid fire on this gun and it handle it just fine although it melted the plastic tapco furniture on it. It had one malfunction that was mag related.

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.
    Sent from my mind using ninjitsu telepathy.

Member #
    Liked
    614 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tdoccrossvilletn View Post
    James Yeager at Tactical Response did a 1,000 round torture test rapid fire on this gun and it handle it just fine although it melted the plastic tapco furniture on it. It had one malfunction that was mag related.

Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.
    Heh.. I spy 3 things that are amiss. not doubting you.. just making a few observations.

1) James Yeager...

2) 1000 rounds is a warm-up for some folks. Heck I think at about that point things are just getting smoothed out.

3) ...Tapco.

Sent from my hind end using poo gas
    Bender, Arik and Glock Holiday like this.
    I am trader 10G - Whatcha got? Whatcha lookin' for?

"There really is something broken between your ears. You know this, yes?" - Redbear

Member #
    Liked
    326 times
    Whats considered a torture test? Just shooting a 1000 rounds? I'll trust Century If they did a simultaneous 1000 round torture test on ALL their rifles.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors