Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By 10Gauge

Thread: Century Arms Centurion 39 Sporter

  1. #1
    Junior Member

    Member #
    22663
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    26
    Liked
    0 times

    Century Arms Centurion 39 Sporter

    Has anyone here purchased this rifle? It's a milled receiver AK variant. Century claims it 100% American made from 100% American parts. I am intrigued, but I trust a forum more than published reviews. What do you guys think?

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    Member #
    17427
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Near Philadelphia Pa
    Posts
    2,224
    Liked
    51 times

    Re: Century Arms Centurion 39 Sporter

    When it comes to AKs (and especially Century products) keep the "US made" stuff far away. Surplus is much better quality. Buy from those who actually use em.

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Member #
    3901
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    11,711
    Liked
    155 times

    Re: Century Arms Centurion 39 Sporter

    ...Century...



    <================== Exit
    I am trader 10G - Whatcha got? Whatcha lookin' for?

    "There really is something broken between your ears. You know this, yes?" - Redbear

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Member #
    10431
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The hills
    Posts
    1,921
    Liked
    10 times

    Re: Century Arms Centurion 39 Sporter

    Yup gotta third that one. Century made = massive fail. Century imported = hit and miss but better than it used to be.

  5. #5
    Senior Member

    Member #
    22246
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southeast VA
    Posts
    474
    Liked
    8 times

    Re: Century Arms Centurion 39 Sporter

    I've got one of their Polish 1960 models from a few years back and after a few thousand rounds, it's been dead reliable and still the slickest action I've felt, though the recoil spring feels a little soft.

    A friend of mine bought a Centurion a few months back and it functions just fine. Same receiver as my Polish, by ATM. It kinda looks like a cobbled-together mix of whatever parts but it runs and there's no fs cant or anything.

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Member #
    10431
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    The hills
    Posts
    1,921
    Liked
    10 times

    Re: Century Arms Centurion 39 Sporter

    Quote Originally Posted by formula73
    I've got one of their Polish 1960 models from a few years back and after a few thousand rounds, it's been dead reliable and still the slickest action I've felt, though the recoil spring feels a little soft.

    A friend of mine bought a Centurion a few months back and it functions just fine. Same receiver as my Polish, by ATM. It kinda looks like a cobbled-together mix of whatever parts but it runs and there's no fs cant or anything.
    You and your friend sound like you got lucky. I bought a 1960 and found that no Warsaw Pact magazine would fit in it no matter what. The best part was century's warrantee had already expired because it had been manufactured long before it made it to my lgs. So the problem was mine to fix.

  7. #7
    Senior Member

    Member #
    10652
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    NW
    Posts
    1,889
    Liked
    12 times

    Re: Century Arms Centurion 39 Sporter

    ...It's looking like the C39 will be the only game in town before long.

  8. #8
    Senior Member

    Member #
    22246
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southeast VA
    Posts
    474
    Liked
    8 times

    Re: Century Arms Centurion 39 Sporter

    Quote Originally Posted by neinLG
    Quote Originally Posted by formula73
    I've got one of their Polish 1960 models from a few years back and after a few thousand rounds, it's been dead reliable and still the slickest action I've felt, though the recoil spring feels a little soft.

    A friend of mine bought a Centurion a few months back and it functions just fine. Same receiver as my Polish, by ATM. It kinda looks like a cobbled-together mix of whatever parts but it runs and there's no fs cant or anything.
    You and your friend sound like you got lucky. I bought a 1960 and found that no Warsaw Pact magazine would fit in it no matter what. The best part was century's warrantee had already expired because it had been manufactured long before it made it to my lgs. So the problem was mine to fix.
    Wow. That sucks. What was the problem? Mine was one of the really early ones, if that matters at all. I like it so much I bought a spare chf chrome lined barrel for it when the crap US barrel wears out.

  9. #9
    Senior Member

    Member #
    21119
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Spfld, Illinois
    Posts
    568
    Liked
    4 times

    Re: Century Arms Centurion 39 Sporter

    Bought a Century-built underfolder on an NDS receiver. Seems to shoot pretty straight to me. Luck of the draw I suppose.
    WASR MAAAAADNESSSSS!

  10. #10
    Senior Member

    Member #
    21557
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    415
    Liked
    9 times

    Re: Century Arms Centurion 39 Sporter

    I have two of the Century Polish 1960 rifles, the first one I bought is very nice (fit and finish) the reciever is marked ATM on the side and the serial# is in the correct place and it is accurate. The second isn't as nice, canted barrel componets, the furniture was kinda crappy ( I replaced it with a NOS polish set) and it shoots 6 inches to the right at 30 yards. No ATM markings just the typical Century stamp with serial# below it. So when it comes to Century look it over really well. But for what it's worth, both actions work nice and smooth, no feed issues, takes any mag, and they go bang with each pull of the trigger.

  11. #11
    Senior Member

    Member #
    22246
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Southeast VA
    Posts
    474
    Liked
    8 times

    Re: Century Arms Centurion 39 Sporter

    Are they doing their own receivers and building, now? I was under the impression (internet lore, of course) that despite the inaccuracies of the ATM receiver, they were solid enough and that the builds, themselves, were contracted out. Mine has fairly nice furniture, too:



    Of course, nobody's going to tell us shit. It seems easier to dig up info on 50 yr old firearms made behind the Iron Curtain than it is to get anything concrete out of Century.

    OP: sorry to have dragged this off course.

  12. #12
    Junior Member

    Member #
    25095
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by formula73 View Post
    Are they doing their own receivers and building, now? I was under the impression (internet lore, of course) that despite the inaccuracies of the ATM receiver, they were solid enough and that the builds, themselves, were contracted out.
    I just thought that I would drop in to tell you that you are correct. Century's lackluster reputation for quality stems from the fact that a majority of their builds and repair work were subcontracted out to not one, but several companies. This resulted in some very poor workmanship and quality control.

    The Centurion is built completely in house by Century. They took this approach because they are trying to turn around their reputation - even though it was justly earned.

  13. #13
    Member

    Member #
    25049
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Crossville, TN
    Posts
    46
    Liked
    6 times
    James Yeager at Tactical Response did a 1,000 round torture test rapid fire on this gun and it handle it just fine although it melted the plastic tapco furniture on it. It had one malfunction that was mag related.

    Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.
    Sent from my mind using ninjitsu telepathy.

  14. #14
    Senior Member

    Member #
    3901
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    11,711
    Liked
    155 times
    Quote Originally Posted by tdoccrossvilletn View Post
    James Yeager at Tactical Response did a 1,000 round torture test rapid fire on this gun and it handle it just fine although it melted the plastic tapco furniture on it. It had one malfunction that was mag related.

    Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.
    Heh.. I spy 3 things that are amiss. not doubting you.. just making a few observations.

    1) James Yeager...

    2) 1000 rounds is a warm-up for some folks. Heck I think at about that point things are just getting smoothed out.

    3) ...Tapco.

    Sent from my hind end using poo gas
    Bender, Arik and Glock Holiday like this.
    I am trader 10G - Whatcha got? Whatcha lookin' for?

    "There really is something broken between your ears. You know this, yes?" - Redbear

  15. #15
    Senior Member

    Member #
    17427
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Near Philadelphia Pa
    Posts
    2,224
    Liked
    51 times
    Whats considered a torture test? Just shooting a 1000 rounds? I'll trust Century If they did a simultaneous 1000 round torture test on ALL their rifles.

    Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Member

    Member #
    25049
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Crossville, TN
    Posts
    46
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 10Gauge View Post
    Heh.. I spy 3 things that are amiss. not doubting you.. just making a few observations.

    1) James Yeager...

    2) 1000 rounds is a warm-up for some folks. Heck I think at about that point things are just getting smoothed out.

    3) ...Tapco.

    Sent from my hind end using poo gas
    Yeager didn't pick the furniture it was already on the gun when century have it to him to rapid fire 1,000 rounds as fast as he could pull the trigger.

    Sent from my mind using ninja telepathy.
    Sent from my mind using ninjitsu telepathy.

  17. #17
    Senior Member

    Member #
    6860
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas!
    Posts
    1,555
    Liked
    10 times
    I haven't put a thousand rounds thru my C39 yet, but I have no doubt that it will shoot much, much more than that without problem.

    And, just to be clear, I am not James Yeager nor do I work for Century!

    Lastly, I never liked the plastic tactical handguards on the Centurion; but the wooden furniture models are a completely different story! I think Century scored a 'win' when they decided to make this model more like a traditional AK and not an AR. Here is mine with the Bulgarian furniture on it...




    Cheers! M2
    Last edited by majormadmax; 03-02-2014 at 03:46 PM.

  18. #18
    Junior Member

    Member #
    24790
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    13
    Liked
    0 times
    Thought the video was interesting to see the plastic melting off the rifle.

 

 

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-09-2011, 02:04 PM

Search tags for this page

centurion 39

,
centurion 39 classic
,

centurion 39 review

,
centurion 39 reviews
,

centurion 39 sporter

,
centurion 39 sporter review
,
centurion ak
,
century arms c39 sporter
,

century arms centurion 39

,
century arms centurion 39 review
,
century centurion 39
,
century centurion 39 review
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.