Member #
    Liked
    0 times

AK-54R mini review

I picked up my AK-54R from my local FFL today and figured I'd take some pictures and share my opinions. Sorry for my crappy pictures but they're better than nothing.

First a picture of the rifle (I opted for black K-Var furniture instead of plum)

And here's all the parts:

The FCG (Tapco G2):

The chamber, rear sight, etc:

Barrel and gas block (gas block wasn't properly cleaned after test firing so it has surface rust on it):

Here's comparisons with my MAK-90 (AK-54r on top):

And a comparison of 7.62x54R, .308, 7.62x39 and 5.56:

Other than the gas tube, gas block and flash hider/comp not being cleaned after test firing it's in pristine condition (surface rust in the gas block and flash hider, pitting in the gas tube )
    The bolt moves smoothly with the normal slight hangup on the FCG and mags lock in firmly with no wobble. All the rivets look good, furniture is tight and installed correctly.

Range report:

Finally had time to take it out and do a little blasting today. Recoil isn't bad, a little more than 7.62x39 but definitely manageable. I fired 100 rounds of 50s Polish light ball with zero failures/malfunctions. One interesting thing I noticed is 6 of the 9 mags I used had BHO, but 3 didn't (I'm guessing the two that came with the rifle, and one I got from AIM.) Brass ejected at roughly 4 o'clock, probably 30-40 feet away. Everything was AK reliable and functioned smoothly. I didn't have a bench to attempt to shoot groups from, but I managed to shoot this 10 round "group" at roughly 40-50 yards (I had to run out and set the HDD back up after every shot):

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: AK-54R mini review

Quote Originally Posted by pc299
    I picked up my AK-54R from my local FFL today and figured I'd take some pictures and share my opinions. Unfortunately I wasn't able to able to shoot this weekend so my range report will have to be added next weekend once I'm able to put 100+ rounds through it. Sorry for my crappy pictures but they're better than nothing.

First a picture of the rifle (I opted for black K-Var furniture instead of plum)

And here's all the parts:

The FCG (Tapco G2):

The chamber, rear sight, etc:

Barrel and gas block (gas block wasn't properly cleaned after test firing so it has surface rust on it):

Here's comparisons with my MAK-90 (AK-54r on top):

And a comparison of 7.62x54R, .308, 7.62x39 and 5.56:

Other than the gas tube, gas block and flash hider/comp not being cleaned after test firing it's in pristine condition (surface rust in the gas block and flash hider, pitting in the gas tube )
    The bolt moves smoothly with the normal slight hangup on the FCG and mags lock in firmly with no wobble. All the rivets look good, furniture is tight and installed correctly.
    Sorry about the dirty gun, but, due to recent high profile trouble, all rifles from your rifle's batch were double test fired again, after finishing, just before shipping. It was done to help avoid further problems, and to help ensure your better satisfaction and safety.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: AK-54R mini review

Not a huge deal, and the pitting in the gas block is minor, so I'm not too worried about it, just wanted to mention it. I appreciate the double function checking pre-shipping.

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: AK-54R review (now with range report)

Mini range report added...

What/where on the locking lugs needs to be filed to make mags that won't lock into the rifle fit?

Sponsors