AK Rifles banner

cheap troy battlemags

1K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  lopojo 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Reactions: BR7.62
#3 ·
fuck, lol i thought black was like 10$ when i was looking there....
i didnt see any vendors w/ cheap surplus. they market tham as preban which doesnt mean anything to me...
so my concern is this.... what is the polymer mag shelf life? i can see myself living, you know maybe a few more decades lol.
is the plastc going to be brittle or anything by then?

#4 ·
I seriously doubt it.

AIM had some metal mags but polymer is in fashion so why not. There's something weird about Troy mags that people just don't go for like the P-mags.

#12 ·
So why is it that all of the plastic AR mags are GTG and any of the plastic AK mags are shit? That some kind of hypocritical oath or something?
PMags are cool.....cool that they come in colors....nice to look at basically. The Lancers are nice cause you can see through them tell how many rounds you have downloaded a full 30 round mag to. Yeah.....I have AR mags of all kinds since I have ARs too. I've never had a Troy mag though. Anything special about them? Or is it just the price? Can you keep them loaded for 6+ months or will they explode?
I'm always using and reloading my old GI aluminum mags 20 and 30 rounders. When I do use some of my polymers, it's a one time load....shoot....back in the drawer kinda deal. Don't want to wear them out too fast no matter what I paid for them. ;)

#15 ·
The part that holds in an AR mag is a small nub in a square hole. There's little, if any, torquing force on the magazine that isn't transferred into the magwell instead of the catch. Coupled with the relative cheapness, it makes sense since I've got plastic AR mags that have been loaded and used for years without failing. My mag situation for ARs is good though and I've got a healthy mix of plastic, steel, and aluminum.

The AK mag, on the other hand, has a locking point at the front and the back of the magazine that take the brunt of the force holding it in place. Plastic simply doesn't last, which would be fine if they were cheap - but I can get a new steel Croatian AK mag for 10 bucks. The cheapest plastic AK mag I can find is 12 bucks. If Tapcos were $7 bucks, I'd buy a few, too, but not too long ago I was getting Croatian mags for that price. Properly built plastic mags with metal reinforcements are the best of both worlds, but they're far more expensive than either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.