Shot an AR today
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Shot an AR today

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

Shot an AR today

Guys I am 60 years old . I went out to the range today shot my m92 and a freinds AR. Now I haven't shot an AR since I got out in 78. I have always been a bigger caliber is better. Which. Is still my stance.

I am very accurate south the m92 out to 100 yards. Iron sights. No optics yet. But I am seeing a need.

Anyway. ..I decided to shot an AR. An tha is a light weapon and is like shooting a 22. Very accurate. His is one of those ruger ar's.

My point is as I get older an god forbid I can't handle the Ak then an Ar is not a bad back up.

I just don't want to deal with another caliber. U am knee in rifles lever action (30-30,22 and 45 colt),shotgun, vepr 308 and ruger charger dressed up in ATI folder. What another rifle ugh.

They are nice easy to shoot but the ammo still hasn't dropped to plinking level.
    Anyway just had to let it out. Great land we live in.
    Thrasher likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    839 times
    Actually, ammo has dropped to plinking level. Also Ar's are way better than ak's.
    WTB:
    1978 or 1979 Izzy trunion
    Russian Type 1 or 2 stuff

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Quote Originally Posted by evolixsurf View Post
    Actually, ammo has dropped to plinking level. Also Ar's are way better than ak's.
    I wouldn't say Ak's are less then AR's. I am just as accurate with both and I think the AK is the bees knees. I llike the heavier bullet
    The AR is just lighter and no recoil. I will continue to shoot ak until I get old enough that I can't cope with recoil.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Not better just different.
    Thrasher and scottyb like this.

Member #
    Liked
    172 times
    I'm "older" too and can still handle 7.62x39 but you otta try an Ak in 5.45x39...pleasant little surprise...ammo still ain't too high and availability is good...
    Akforum member #234...

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Well, if you are interested in an AR there's no shortage and I doubt prices have ever been lower. Got a promo on a S&W Sport II for $499 the other day, base Ruger is probably close to that. Lots of cheap entry level choices if you don't want to assemble one.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    I would be interested in building one but I doubt I could do it cheaper than the ruger. Ar's are super easy like glocks plug and play.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I've gone through pretty heavy AR and AK phases, now I've happily settled on "both". They are both reliable and capable platforms. I find AR's much more utilitarian and well suited for many tasks, but like the history and collectible nature of AKs. The excitement of chasing down correct parts, stumbling across a rare piece, appreciating a well-executed build...you just don't get that with ARs. Now if I want something to run and gun with a suppressor and optic, that's a different story.

And it truly is bazaar, in the last few years the prices have down a 180. AKs used to be $300 and a decent AR was $1200. Now a good AR is $500 and a workhorse SGL is $1500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    133 times
    I shot my AR-devotee buddies AR close to two years ago... before my daughter was even a thought, that's about as specific as I can be timewise...

That stupid sound the recoil spring makes in the buffer tube made me feel like I was playing with a toy ray gun... like Marvin the Martian or something. It was so distracting to me that even though I do respect the gun's attributes, I don't think even owning one, that I could really enjoy some of the other aspects. I wouldn't mind getting one for my wife, but for my non-AK uses, I probably won't go AR unless my wife tries the platform and enjoys it. The current plan is to someday get my AKs in her hands and my friend there with one of his ARs, and let him show her the AR basics and let her decide if that's what she wants.

Maybe it's petty or weird that something like that would turn me off of a rifle, but seriously... he loaded the mag with all 30 rounds and I'm pretty sure I handed it back to him with about half the rounds still in it.

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority, because no one I've ever talked to about ARs has had a problem with the sound. It seems to be just me...
    Last edited by SYCABO; 02-10-2017 at 08:34 PM.
    Thrasher, akraider and Omega7.62 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Both rifles are great, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with having an ar, I own one myself. But i've always preferred taking my ak out to the range instead. Customizing an ar to your content is a great feature of them, but to me I think there's more to ak's in where they are from and the history etc. I totally hear you on the comfortability, an ar is way more accessible and comfortable to shoot. I'm working on getting an ak74 right now so we'l see if that opinion changes with the 545 but I doubt it.

Honestly what it comes down to at the end of the day to which I prefer is what it looks like and how many heads it'l turn at the range (yeah, I know stupid but that's how I think.) And while having an ar is probably the better choice, those two factors make me an ak guy. I mean, everyone and their mothers has an ar sitting in their closet (and for good reason!) but not everyone has a russian ak made in the 70s or one from egypt or china.

*edit* plus you don't have to clean the thing after shooting a mag through it! what can I say, i'm lazy.
    SYCABO and Thrasher like this.

Member #
    Liked
    839 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SYCABO View Post
    I shot my AR-devotee buddies AR close to two years ago... before my daughter was even a thought, that's about as specific as I can be timewise...

That stupid sound the recoil spring makes in the buffer tube made me feel like I was playing with a toy ray gun... like Marvin the Martian or something. It was so distracting to me that even though I do respect the gun's attributes, I don't think even owning one, that I could really enjoy some of the other aspects. I wouldn't mind getting one for my wife, but for my non-AK uses, I probably won't go AR unless my wife tries the platform and enjoys it. The current plan is to someday get my AKs in her hands and my friend there with one of his ARs, and let him show her the AR basics and let her decide if that's what she wants.

Maybe it's petty or weird that something like that would turn me off of a rifle, but seriously... he loaded the mag with all 30 rounds and I'm pretty sure I handed it back to him with about half the rounds still in it.

I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority, because no one I've ever talked to about ARs has had a problem with the sound. It seems to be just me...
    Sounds like it wasn't lubed enough and also hardly had any rounds through it. After a while you can't even hear/feel that sound.
    TRAAK's likes this.
    WTB:
    1978 or 1979 Izzy trunion
    Russian Type 1 or 2 stuff

Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    This one didn't have that sound. I remember the one I had back in 75 made that noise. I know what you mean. Today it still feels like a toy but definitely light and effective try one with adjustable stock.

Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Go with the flow, silver_back. And take AK Raider's advice - the 5.45 can be very, very good to shoot.

Meanwhile, being the warped individual I am, I'm surprising myself with how much attention I've been paying to (heresy of heresies) 7.62x39 ARs. Maybe that M72 kit will bring me back to my senses...

OTOH, that recoil spring boiiinnnggg always gives me a laugh. The story I heard way back when was that when they were gearing up to mass-produce the original M16s they wound up turning for help to another company with extensive experience and technical expertise in making products with stamped metal parts - that other company being Mattel.
    Last edited by Il Cattivo; 02-10-2017 at 09:01 PM.
    Thrasher likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Il Cattivo View Post
    OTOH, that recoil spring boiiinnnggg always gives me a laugh...
    Nostalgic sound but if it bothers anyone try Enhanced Spring, Recoil Buffer, Action, Carbine used one on a build after it was recommended. Nicely made and does tame the twang, I guess. Damage is a good vendor, they often run 1/2 off sales.
    Thrasher and will6970 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    403 times
    I've shot alot of 16" AR's, from Colt's to old school Bushy's.
    I own zero. Doesn't have that "feel" to me, but I'm a sucker for old wood & iron type guns.
    The AR-15 design is indeed sound, but i just can't get excited over them.
    Now, an A2 clone would excite me a little bit...
    "Skill, not fear, will rule this night. Cold Steel, will win this fight." - Nuclear Assault, 1987

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsors