Shot an AR today - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Shot an AR today

Member #
    Liked
    3482 times
    I love both. Both have their + and -. I would sell one for the other!

As for calibers. 223 has show it can kill just as easily as a 30 cal. I know old guys look down on the 223 but let's remember it's all relative. Guys that came from shooting and fighting with the Springfield trapdoor 45-70 thought those 30 cal bullets were good for groundhogs too

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    1957 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I love both. Both have their + and -. I would sell one for the other!

As for calibers. 223 has show it can kill just as easily as a 30 cal. I know old guys look down on the 223 but let's remember it's all relative. Guys that came from shooting and fighting with the Springfield trapdoor 45-70 thought those 30 cal bullets were good for groundhogs too

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Ha! ., not sure it is simply an "old guy" thing. That battle rages as does the 45ACP vs 9mm etc., regardless of age.
    Though the older one is he more likely that the .308 and/or 45ACP was the military/carry weapon type first owned.

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    I own an AR for practical reasons, nothing more, and I much prefer wood and iron weapons. Have many of those.

AR's. They got no soul.
    akraider, 10Gauge and Thrasher like this.
    I don't "run" my guns or "run" anything on them. Likewise, none of my guns are "platforms".

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    1957 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HKshooter View Post
    I own an AR for practical reasons, nothing more, and I much prefer wood and iron weapons. Have many of those.

AR's. They got no soul.
    Dunno., but "Soul Train" in a firearm was never high on the list.
    Arik likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1389 times
    Rifles are like Golf Clubs.
    You're not going to make 65 different shots using a 9 iron, that's why you own different rifles for different situations.
    There are some rifles I just really have a wide "niche" and some a more narrow purpose, but they each have a place. Years ago when I started prepping, every time I bought a long gun or a carbine, I bought another exactly like it and set it back for my Son. That guy has a hell of an arsenal waiting for him.
    The neat thing about AR's that you can't easily do with AK's?
    You can buy a very high quality lower with a very nice trigger and have several different uppers with optics and barrel lengths that make them much more versatile.

Member #
    Liked
    111 times
    I love ARs. I actually prefer them to AKs (holds up trash can to shield tomatoes) I built from M16A1 parts an M16A1 clone from an 80% receiver and it will hit exactly where I am aiming. I could fire three mags like nothing and even heated up hit exactly what I want where I want. I'm not fond of the more modern ARs though to be honest. I have found they are less accurate in my experiences than older-style versions. I don't know why. I also hate the A2 style sights, especially on lower-priced brands because some of them are so poorly made and put together you could lose zero with it banging back and forth in your range bag to the shooting area if it gets jarred enough. I'm not saying they're all like this, but I've experienced it enough (even on a Bushmaster once,) that I will not 'seriously' shoot any AR that doesn't have the original style bullet-dial sights. I also prefer 55gr to 62gr. Plus, retro ARs are badass looking and the whole "rails and keymod" crap makes me want to projectile vomit. ARs can be a total shot in the dark to be honest though as far as accuracy. I've built like ten of them, using the same brand barrels and uppers and found some to be absolute nail drivers and others to be AK-esque accuracy at best, sometimes worse. I've also bought various brands "pre-made." Once you find a great one, NEVER GET RID OF IT. Unless you enjoy sifting through like 10 others until you find a similar one.
    Last edited by folffairport; 02-12-2017 at 01:22 PM.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    - George Orwell

Member #
    Liked
    2071 times
    i cant really enjoy looking at most ar's but they do fucking shoot nice. hate the cocking mech. though being at the back.
    some of the military ones are cool as shit though like the spr program w/ the tubular carbon fiber handguard.
    i actually own more ar than ak...lol
    evolixsurf likes this.
    07 ffl

Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Quote Originally Posted by HKshooter View Post
    They got no soul.
    It is an inanimate object. Soul is not a factor.

I like AR's over the AK. They are more familiar to me. I also have used then in alterations for my Uncle. Never a failure or problem and we weren't nice to them. (M16)
    I don't get the loss of love other than an AK site. Even then the exaggeration can be pretty bad.
    YMMV
    Some people go their whole life wondering if they have made a difference, Marines don't have that problem,,,,,,,,,,,Ronald Reagan

Member #
    Liked
    156 times
    It's always the "AR vs. AK" discussion....both platforms are a great but there are so many other neat rifles out there!
    COMM BLOC and Thrasher like this.
    The switch from gunshots to injections is a sign that China "promotes human rights now," says Kang Zhongwen , who designed the Jinguan Automobile death van.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4288 times
    Love both the AK and AR, and own several different examples in both rifles. The AR will always hold a special place in my heart since that is the rifle I carried for 23 years.
    I just built my last AR, but I still have at least 2 more AK kits to be built!
    akraider likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Member #
    Liked
    141 times
    I've also built my last. I've had five, sold them all, built the last one a bit reluctantly because I have a pile of mags, ammo, and I can toss it to nearly anyone in a hurry and they'll know how to use it.

I'll say it again, AR's got no soul. Pick up a Garand, an FAL, a Enfield, a K98k, even an old school G3 and you can sense the history, the hands that held it, the rounds it fired in anger and anguish. Almost smell the sweat and blood men dripped onto it. Good old wood and steel, nothing like it. Carry an AR around for a few days then go pick up a real rifle and you'll know you just picked up a real tool.
    AR's have their place, even I own one. My preference is obvious.
    10Gauge and akraider like this.
    I don't "run" my guns or "run" anything on them. Likewise, none of my guns are "platforms".

Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    Don't cry for wood. It's just tree shit.

I prefer wood furniture and stocks... then again all guns are cool, including AR-15's.
    Last edited by Bildobaggins; 02-13-2017 at 12:02 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    You're an American and you like guns. All your guns should be clean. unless you have too many.
    Last edited by Bildobaggins; 02-13-2017 at 12:20 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    1953 times
    if the recoil hurts too bad just switch over to explosives.
    life, liberty, pursuit of happiness. write it on the ceiling walls mirror if you have to because it will mock you until you obtain it. learn for your self what evil people have done in secret making you an unhappy unhealthy ill-informed slave. top globalists have become the one true enemy of humanity. most everyone else seeming to be problems are bent to their will creating crisis and social change required for a new ''one world''.

Member #
    Liked
    238 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BR7.62 View Post
    i cant really enjoy looking at most ar's but they do fucking shoot nice. hate the cocking mech. though being at the back.
    some of the military ones are cool as shit though like the spr program w/ the tubular carbon fiber handguard.
    i actually own more ar than ak...lol

Im a big fan of the mk12 mod 0. It's the cat's pajamas
    COMM BLOC likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsors