Shot an AR today - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: Shot an AR today

Member #
    Liked
    146 times
    Dang...I was gonna say something about the "boing, boing, boing" thing...bugs me too...something about the solid heavier feel of an Ak that goes "clack, clack, clack"...just me personally...
    SYCABO and Omega7.62 like this.
    Akforum member #234...

Member #
    Liked
    77 times
    I was reminded why I like the AK better when finding a rubber O-ring acting on the extractor on mine. It works though.
    boatma1 likes this.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1027 times
    I love shooting my 20" pencil barrel Retro AR with iron sights much,much more than my M4-gery or SOCOM lookalike with optics.

Some of you guys talk like there's only one kind of AR.
    TRAAK's and COMM BLOC like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    157 times
    I like the history of the AK and the look. I like the wood and metal combo also. I get tempted and think about making an XM-177 clone, the only AR I like and the history of it. I also try to keep my ammo selections limited, so 556/223 is another round to gather. I wanted a 556/2223 in the stable just in case as that ammo should be more convenient to come across if the worst were to happen. I just like the simplicity of the ak platform so I went M85 worked for both my wants. Now I'm getting the itch for the ak 74 but the ammo availability always turned me off so much I never investigated it's availability and price. Wheels are turning in my head now about the 74. My buddy I shoot with is an AR guy but he picked up a MAK shortly we met and now is looking to buy a 74 or a higher quality AK. He also got a PTR to shoot 762. The reason I bring this up is that I thought he was a rifle cleaning Nazi, last time out shooting with him both the PTR and his AR were acting up. Not ammo issues but cleaning issues. He told me he hadn't cleaned his rifles for the past couple of shoots and mentioned the tight tolerances. Not starting a war here but it just resonated with me, true or not about the issues he was having and that's the thing I like best of the AK, reliability with minimal care, not saying neglect. That 545 is now screaming to me, sometimes when I visit this page I get bad ideas for my wallet.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Il Cattivo View Post
    OTOH, that recoil spring boiiinnnggg always gives me a laugh. The story I heard way back when was that when they were gearing up to mass-produce the original M16s they wound up turning for help to another company with extensive experience and technical expertise in making products with stamped metal parts - that other company being Mattel.
    oh geez.. not this again.

The Mattel story has been debunked over and over again.

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    1957 times
    I like building AK's and the challenge of some franken builds as well. Building AK's is a smaller community of builders, owners and accomplishment. The look & history are part of the whole deal.

But for superior ergos, ammunition, optics mounts, barrel types, stock choices, sights, general accuracy etc., the AR is a winner.

Member #
    Liked
    497 times
    If it's got a trigger or a lanyard, I will Choot it.
    Thrasher and ak737 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    286 times
    I like my ARs but I love my AKs.
    COMM BLOC likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    16481 times
    OP...a little research will find good buys on .223/5.56 ammo for plinking....and prices are dropping almost daily.

I shoot both AK and AR rifles and their variants.

Each is unique and that keeps me interested in shooting and collecting.

YMMV
    SYCABO likes this.
    pics / vid required for validation

Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Quote Originally Posted by def90 View Post
    oh geez.. not this again.

The Mattel story has been debunked over and over again.
    Not really. The story that was debunked was that Mattel made the rifles. The source of the rumor is apparently that some personnel from Mattel were consulted when production lines were being set up simply because Mattel (and other toy companies) had more experience with mass-producing pressed or stamped parts to consistent dimensions than people in other industries at that point in time.

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    1957 times
    10Gauge, Walleye and TRAAK's like this.

Member #
    Liked
    7298 times
    ak737, Walleye and TRAAK's like this.
    "If I spent half as much time in the gym as I do on the computer, I'd be ripped as s*** by now" - Me

"There really is something broken between your ears. You know this, yes?" - Redbear

Closed captioned for the drinking impaired. Wait...

Member #
    Liked
    223 times
    I have a BCM AR15. Great little rifle, but with the magazines, ammunition, and spare parts, I'm in pretty deep. Often times I ponder the thought of selling it all so I can divest those funds for other projects. AKs are light enough for me, and the simple design gives me more peace of mind.

It's a constant cycle in the AR world, though. Gotta have this gas system, or that free float handguard, or whatever. Or else, your rifle will blow up. There's always something lighter and stronger and more expensive than what you have.

The AK world is nice because you simply purchase your rifle, spend trigger time behind it, and establish rifleman fundamentals. For most people, that's the sweet spot. No "spec" race to the bottom. I previously justified my AR ownership because of the parts and ammo compatibility with all my friends. To be quite honest, however, the need for something like that to arise is a statistical zero. I've got bigger things to worry about than gas rings, buffer weights, barrel profiles, etc. I'd rather spend more time working on reloads, sight alignment, and target holds.

I feel like I've been rushing for far too long, and the more that I delve into the complications of the firearms world, the more I realize that simpler is better.
    Last edited by GipsyDanger; 02-11-2017 at 08:57 PM.
    SYCABO, Nopec and Thrasher like this.
    FJ Cruisin'

Technical Advisor

Member #
    Liked
    1957 times
    ^^^^ Not really. Many folks buy, enjoy and keep a base level AR15 as heir shooter etc. I own several that I assembled.
    But because they are modular the AR15 is easily modified vs an AK pattern firearm.

Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    the spring sound lets you know that you when you have run dry. It makes a different sound. The AK takes one extra pull of the trigger and a lonely click before you start the reload process. On buying an AR, there's a big difference between a $499 special and a quality AR. Generally, the cheaper ones have bare 4140 barrels. Bolts and barrels aren't pressure tested. Key features should include 4150 chrome or melonite barrel, high pressure tested bolt and barrel, 1in 8 or faster twist, and forged receiver. You can get all of these for 700 to 800 if you watch

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsors