Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Facebook?

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4335 times

Facebook?

This is something I've been wanting to bring up for awhile.

There are many people that feel the Government, or some other shadow agency is watching our every move, or perhaps compiling information on us. They don't have to, because your doing it yourself with Facebook.

I don't use any of that stuff for several reasons:

Security. Do I really need to let everyone on the planet know who my friends are, where I live, what my hobbies are, what I did last week, and what I'm going to do in two months?
    Nothing like letting that online stalker, or burgler know your schedule huh?

Privacy. This is going to be a serious problem in the comming years. From some of the things I've heard, places like Facebook will be able to use any pics you post for adds, or anything they want without your permission.
    I don't know about any of you, but I find this totally unacceptable.

I know alot of you guys have these types of accounts to keep in touch with friends and family, so just be aware of what you post with regards to information and photos.
    Delacroix likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

Re: Facebook?

I don't have a facebook account and won't ever get one either. It's asking for trouble. I have enough friends already and don't need to invite freaks or unwarranted invasion of privacy into my life. I think people are crazy to get involved in it but that's their decision.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Thieves watch sites like Facebook and Twitter. There are a few well-publicized cases of people getting their homes broken into while tweeting their vacation activities elsewhere.

I'm careful what I say on the internet. Even when trading with fellow members I usually only give my PO box, which isn't even in the town where I live.
    Celebrating 20 years of AK ownership: 1992-2012

4. Remove Advertisements
    TheAKForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    17 times

I was just like you guys, until I saw the light...I mean "Like" button.

If you have some self-discipline about what you post and who you friend with, facebook can be very enriching. If you are an idiot you are playing with fire.

Our local combatives training group is almost exclusively organized and advertised on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Central-T ... 5443548698 (go ahead, click on it, if you dare... )

It's just a matter of time until discussion boards like this are swept aside like the old dial-up BBS message boards of old. Social media like facebook is the future.
    --------------------------
    Shoot straight and speak the truth.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

I don't get the social network fads. I don't do Facebook, Twitter, MySpace etc. Guess I'm an Old Fart.

Member #
    Liked
    2330 times

Quote Originally Posted by Kalash
    I don't get the social network fads. I don't do Facebook, Twitter, MySpace etc. Guess I'm an Old Fart.

+1 :roll:
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

WTB-AIMS 74 cleaning kit

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    18 times

Im a facebooker, both on a personal level and a professional level. Having a FB page is far more important than having a web-page now for most businesses that don't have online shopping.

It's technology, as long as you use it responsibly, there are no worries. I dont "check in" to places, tell people where Im going and for how long. If anything, I enlighten them by posting articles not covered by the MSM

I'm sure there were people who were anti-automobile and preferred to stick with their horse at the turn of the last century....jus sayin'

as for it being a 'fad', I think the carriers (myspace, FB, Sonico, hi5 friendster, etc) will change, but the premise is here to stay.

JM2CW
    I am the rusted fender of the American Dream.

I don't want Fop, damnit, I'm a Dapper Dan man!

Super Duper Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    286 times

With facebook you can set who can and can not see what you post. And you can set it where facebook can't use any of your information.
    And............. it helped me find a son I didn't know about (he found me actually) for that reason alone I wish FB was around a long time ago.
    rt ds rt h
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Marketplace Rules
    Forum Rules

Member #
    Liked
    267 times

Quote Originally Posted by machineguneddie
    With facebook you can set who can and can not see what you post. And you can set it where facebook can't use any of your information.
    There have been times when facebook "accidentally" leaked private info out to the rest of the world.

Never put unencrypted info on the web that you wouldn't want out for the whole world to see.

disclaimer: Don't use FB ... and don't plan on it.
    WTB: E. German BC 1276 (have one to trade)

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I enjoy using facebook as a tool to learn who someone is without having to spend much time doing it. I have a daughter who is of the age where boys are interested and facebook is a very good tool for evaluating who may be calling who may not be.

I use it as a info gathering tool. I do not provide any info that could not be found via public record and I gain some very good info when needed.

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12 times

Oh course Facebook can use your info without your permission, it's not owned by the user. So can't this site if they really wanted to. You just have to be smart about it. I've only been on FB for a few months and I think its a great tool to find old Army and high school friends. I don't post crap about work hours, deployment times, what I have in the house, or family members. People put tons of personel info about there lifes here, way too much sometimes IMO. Intel can and will be gather with more easy as technoligy improves. Just have to be smart about what you say Thats all.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

My dumbass friend got caught tagging (the graffiti kind, not the Facebook kind). He had a hearing in court and was not sentenced yet. In his infinite wisdom, he posted a profile picture of himself with a fume mask and a can of spray paint (he told his parents he was addicted to tagging, so they got him professional graffiti artist stuff). It was funny reading his dad's posts on that picture telling him to take it down because he hadn't been sentenced yet. He took it down, but not before I saved it. He's going to get a poster sized print of it eventually.

Member #
    Liked
    85 times

I work in web design and marketing, the amount of information being tracked about you is staggering. Facebook has had several well-publicized privacy snafus and are still leaky from a privacy standpoint. For example, even if you set your profile to private it can often be mined through a simple search until you bury it even further. And try deleting your account entirely...

Know those little saver cards the grocery stores issue? The whole point of them is to track buying habits to individual shoppers.

Amazon, HotMail, and Google have a wealth of history they mine to make recommendations back to you and drive advertising dollars. That's legitimately useful, but they do keep tabs on everything you do and it's tied to your account. As much as I like the Chrome browser, Google allows it to "talk" back to their search database to increase the accuracy of their algorithms. Again, it's not malicious but that information about what searches you run is being stored.

Anytime you use electronic means to pay for something, that's being collected. The credit card companies sell their data to marketing firms to be mined for buying habits... again, it's legitimate and the data is scrubbed of actual names but that information is there for the taking.

I don't let any of it stop me from the convenience of doing business in the virtual world but as smart phones take the place of credit cards and allow you to be geolocated, the security issues are going to really explode.

I take solace in the fact that many criminals have been busted through their stupidity on Facebook. It's become a valuable tool for LEOs. It ain't all bad...
    WTB: 103 Izzy slabside mag

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4335 times

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM
    I was just like you guys, until I saw the light...I mean "Like" button.

If you have some self-discipline about what you post and who you friend with, facebook can be very enriching. If you are an idiot you are playing with fire.

Our local combatives training group is almost exclusively organized and advertised on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Central-T ... 5443548698 (go ahead, click on it, if you dare... )

It's just a matter of time until discussion boards like this are swept aside like the old dial-up BBS message boards of old. Social media like facebook is the future.
    Its possible that some web based forums might go away, but I honestly believe this one will be around for a long time.
    Other weapon forums are just full of BS, and some are just seriously out of control. Thats what will do them in.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Banned

Member #
    Liked
    281 times

I always laugh at my friends that go "oh man, you GOTTA have facebook, everyone is on it"..."its how we can all stay in touch"

pick up a freaking phone and call me. or email me.

my next door people are fooked. Everything they do (parties, birthdays, any social events) they photograph and onto facebook it goes. Its like another life for some people....
    Delacroix and Wyo Wolverine like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsors