Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Facebook?

Member #
    Liked
    1409 times

Re: Facebook?

Quote Originally Posted by Slinger646
    Quote Originally Posted by skrilla
    i read in the newspaper where police officers are scanning facebook to find pictures of kids posting pics of themselves drinking beer and crap then arresting them for under age drinking.
    As a police officer, let me be the first to say that is utter chicken shit.

Getting charges based on a photo is the bullshit way. Do some real police work and catch them in the act.

But how many times do WE get in trouble for pictures on Facebook?
    Want to buy:
    1966 East German AKM kit
    TYPE 1 kit
    North Korean kit
    Serbian M76 sniper vest (M-99 A3)

If I was not on some government watch list, I'd be insulted.

Member #
    Liked
    54 times

The only thing better than low profile is no profile

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I don't necessarily agree that "no profile" is better than "low profile". If you use Facebook and other social media outlets wisely, you might find that the one thing better than "sharing" is the "sharing of disinformation". Look up information on John McAfee online and you will find a lot of references to Belize...and my impression is that none of it is true. The guy was so plagued by lawsuits and other issues that he started using mainstream and several social media accounts to describe fake locations and activities. The guy literally became invisible by being universally visible. Very VERY smart.

Member #
    Liked
    23 times

I use it to rage against the machine itself. Any one of us can be labeled, framed, etc.., and be made an example of if those who are behind the scenes really chose to do so.

I generally post quotes and articles regarding the founding fathers and that sort of thing. If I ever were to be accused of harbouring ill will towards certain aspects of our leaders/agencies or government in general, all I have to do is remind accuser of what this nation is all about.
    1st Amendment. If that isnt enough, well, we always have that one other amendment that is meant to protect every other amendment. I cant recall the number of that amendment now, but, its in there somewhere in the Bill of Rights.
    Interested in Norinco mags in 223.

Member #
    Looking for the perfect blade of grass to hide behind in Texas.
    Liked
    51 times

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMomma
    or anyone who is interested, this is supposed to really delete your Facebook account if you ever decide to go that route:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUdbtzIWa_4
    I did this method a while back and it seems to have worked. (Either that, or I typed in the wrong e-mail address when I tried to sign in a while back to check if it worked or not.)
    I'm sure everything is still in databank somewhere, but at least I don't have to worry about the common crook lurking on my profile, and I guess that's better than nothing.
    Take heart.

Member #
    Liked
    206 times

I was trying to only keep a years worth of posts up on facebook.

But now that it is the new timeline it is infinitely more difficult to delete posts the way i did.

Thinking of deleting everything by hand even if it takes me an hour a day for a few months.

Once the profile is empty delete all friends and then Delete it. Hoping that they back up the final state of the account before deletion.

Time will tell what i actually do.
    "Gold is the money of kings. Silver is the money of gentlemen.? Barter is the money of peasants and debt is the money of slaves."

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I see facebook useful to me for only a few reasons:

1. As a portal for my sheeple friends to keep in touch. I had an account in the past. Fake photo, fake name, fake info, no posts besides just my email address. The privacy settings were set so that only friends could view the profile. No one asked me, I put out all the friend requests and called each person to explain who it was. Regardless, I realized I keep in touch with all my good friends via phone so I cancelled the account. No doubt it's all kept by facebook forever. Thankfully they dont have much.

As far as I know you cannot access it through TOR either. That should tell you something.

2. For misinformation.

If you've found old friends, lost relatives, that's cool. But, you probably stripped away some privacy doing it. Not worth it for me.
    GOA Member
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

I have got this exact same info on several emails about facebook, just passing it along and figured this thread questioning its use was as good as any. Don't know how correct it is but I personally have one friend who swears they deleted his firearms post.

Today, Dec. 27, 2012, it has come to our attention that Facebook is purging accounts that show a leaning toward pro-gun rights, meaning the Second Amendment of the U. S. Constitution; as well as anything to do with pro-liberty information.

According to DarkPolitricks.com, Facebook is in the midst of a censorship purging that has been accelerating. According to the website, the purging of the pro-gun accounts is continuing with a great deal of fervor.

But, if we look at the bigger picture, we can find many ways in which the government is involved with the Internet. Facebook is just one of those Cyber Firms that the government may be able to influence.

see an example of censorship here … examiner.com”
    WTB-Russian T2 front stub, any condition-Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    429 times
    Amen!!!

Quote Originally Posted by joemomma View Post
    this is something i've been wanting to bring up for awhile.

There are many people that feel the government, or some other shadow agency is watching our every move, or perhaps compiling information on us. They don't have to, because your doing it yourself with facebook.

I don't use any of that stuff for several reasons:

Security. Do i really need to let everyone on the planet know who my friends are, where i live, what my hobbies are, what i did last week, and what i'm going to do in two months?
    Nothing like letting that online stalker, or burgler know your schedule huh?

Privacy. This is going to be a serious problem in the comming years. From some of the things i've heard, places like facebook will be able to use any pics you post for adds, or anything they want without your permission.
    I don't know about any of you, but i find this totally unacceptable.

I know alot of you guys have these types of accounts to keep in touch with friends and family, so just be aware of what you post with regards to information and photos.

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    I have not had a FB account. The last couple of year I was scarce online at all. The world is getting less secure daily. Social media is not helping, and in fact creates a host of problems. I am in college now in my 40s, and the kids in my classes have a hard time having a conversation. They can Instagram, yikyak, snapchat like all their friends at once. Most of of them have not read books like 1984, Clockwork Orange, etc.. It really peaked around election time when all I heard was my fellow students telling me how excited they were for Hillary. The day after elections the counselling staff had therapy dogs, and crying booths set up. It was almost comical, but it was really sad. That is some of the Social Media Gen though, and Orwell is being proven right everyday.
    Ram Rod and JoeMomma like this.

West Texas AK Union (WTAKU)
    U.S. Army Military Police (Ret.)
    West Texas A&M University Veterans

Supporting Member
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    LOL, did not catch the age of this one. Anyway felt good to vent. Cheers
    Ram Rod and Arik like this.

West Texas AK Union (WTAKU)
    U.S. Army Military Police (Ret.)
    West Texas A&M University Veterans

Member #
    Liked
    834 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoonIX View Post
    LOL, did not catch the age of this one. Anyway felt good to vent. Cheers
    Old guys tend to stick to old stuff I reckon. LOL!
    I'm in my 50's but I was always kinda tech savvy I guess. I don't thrive on the cutting edge, nor do I attempt to ignore reality. Kids these days create their own bubble worlds. Must say plenty of adults do as well. It bothers me to go out in public and see so many folks 'plugged into' that alternate universe. I think it has seriously taken a toll on our society and our future. No comment on the political antics of late. Yeah......I am on FaceBook and one of the main reasons was to keep up to date with family. Since the election, my sister and nieces unfriended me from FB because I voted Trump and said so. Now I just use FB to keep up with friends, shop, or sell stuff once in a while. Not many folks talk by phone anymore.......they just text. It's more kind to ignore or respond to a text in due time than it is to ignore an incoming call.
    Crazy world in which we live now. One of those things you just can't opt out of when you feel like it. If you don't keep up, you get left behind. Typical college kids these days can't even spell let alone carry on an intelligent conversation. It is what it is I reckon. I like to vent once in a while myself.
    Carry on.
    DragoonIX likes this.
    No......it's not that I'm up early....or late for that matter. It's just that I never sleep.
    Sans Remords

Member #
    Liked
    3416 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Old guys tend to stick to old stuff I reckon. LOL!
    You know, there may be some truth to that. Haven't hit 40 yet I don't consider myself "old" but I never did get into the social media craze.

In the early 00s there was MySpace. I had friends tell me about it and I looked into it but I never got the point of making a online page about me. I mean....after all my friends know about me so what's the point. Then Facebook came along and I had the same indifferent feeling towards that. I just didn't understand the point of it. Still don't. I keep in touch with everyone that I kept in touch with before Facebook. Text messages have come a long way from the early days of tapping the #7 four times to get the letter "S". And there are so many good, free apps that I just don't bother with anything else. I send interesting articles, pictures and anything else directly to anyone I know would be interested in it. I have friends overseas that I keep in touch with the same way. "Hey what's up" .....here's what I've been up to.... picture, picture, picture...

Occasionally when someone asks me what my Facebook page is and I tell them I don't have one they look at me like Im trying to distance myself from them. I have to explain that I really don't have Facebook. Then they look at me like I just came out of a coma after 40 years and don't know what a cell phone is or a computer

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4115 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoonIX View Post
    I have not had a FB account. The last couple of year I was scarce online at all. The world is getting less secure daily. Social media is not helping, and in fact creates a host of problems. I am in college now in my 40s, and the kids in my classes have a hard time having a conversation. They can Instagram, yikyak, snapchat like all their friends at once. Most of of them have not read books like 1984, Clockwork Orange, etc.. It really peaked around election time when all I heard was my fellow students telling me how excited they were for Hillary. The day after elections the counselling staff had therapy dogs, and crying booths set up. It was almost comical, but it was really sad. That is some of the Social Media Gen though, and Orwell is being proven right everyday.
    Amen!

Its about to get worse for the Facebook crowd with a 3rd party flagging so called "fake news". This is indeed 1984 at its best.
    Arik and DragoonIX like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Banned

Member #
    nowhere but atlanta after sherman burned it
    Liked
    483 times
    What was old is new again because of a vent. I have never had any type of these accounts
    and never will. Way to go DragoonIX makes YoMomma look.........

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Sponsors